Author Topic: MS Word  (Read 1253 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
MS Word
« on: 25 February 2002, 23:15 »
How many "features" are there in Word? How many are really needed for daily work? I
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
MS Word
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2002, 14:31 »
in my opinion you don't need anything over word97. Anything else is overkill, for a program that is really just a typewriter emulator!
plus, who knows how much extra spyware you get nowadays? It's best to stick with a version that M$ treats as obsolete, but which works just as well and outputs in the same .doc formats as later versions.
Actually it's best to use another office program instead but there y'go...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

MxCl

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/mxcl/
MS Word
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2002, 15:48 »
Whats with all this internet functionality? Does anyone use any of it? Is any of it actually useful?

I agree with you two, I use 97 coz I refuse to use software that is pointlessly huge and slow.

And the hypocrisy here is that I still use Windows...doh.

cahult

• VIP
MS Word
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2002, 17:11 »
The reason I

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
MS Word
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2002, 19:10 »
Aha! the reason for a new version every couple of years is... MONEY! surprise! Microsoft are in it for the bucks!!!

Clarisworks, yes i remember it, it worked fine. Nothing has been added to these typemanagers since about 1994 that was actually needed.

No, I wouldn't use the "internet functionality" if you paid me! have you ever, par example, opened an html file using Word? go and try it... Ha Ha Ha! you either get a hideously distorted pile of crap, or even better, a total refusal to cooperate in the form of an error box implying it's your own fault (well of course it is, you should have known that word was a pile of catwallop to start with!)  :D  

I suppose it might be handy that .doc documents contain hyperlinks for webpage and mailto addresses, but after all, a lot of non-M$ programs can now read and edit those .doc files anyway...

i really wouldn't upgrade any of yr versions of office, the new versions i hear are worse, what with all the bloatware, and Office 2002's new 'phone it all home feature.

md2lgyk

MS Word
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2002, 02:25 »
Couldn't agree more!  I have to use M$ Word 2000 at work, and spent the first two days I had it disabling all the automatic crap.  Actually, for home use, I'd recommend PCSuite 2001 http://www.software602.com.  It's Office compatible, has a lot fewer "extras" and it's free.
"The great object is, that every man be armed.  Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
MS Word
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2002, 13:43 »
i have that one installed too, it is a good Word substitute, as it has a dictionary. (no matter what i do, i can't get my Word spellchecker to work!  :mad:  )
People were saying elsewhere that Star Office is an even better alternative.
Here's a FAQ and Tips page about StarOffice to get you started. I have only used it for about 10 minutes but it looks like it has tons more features than 602Pro and is many times smaller too.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
MS Word
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2002, 21:08 »
Just make sure you *don't* get StartOffice 5.2, if anything get 6.0 (which isn't out just yet but the beta was far superior to 5.2).  The problem with StarOffice is with 6.0 they aren't going to provide a free version (except to Solaris Users).  Now "OpenOffice" is basically the same thing as StarOffice 6.0, just without the commercial support and a couple of other minor proprietary pieces missing, and it *is* free and open source and available for Windows and Linux and *NIX.  See http://www.openoffice.org

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Anti Ms

• http://www.fuckmcdonalds.co.uk
MS Word
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2002, 19:01 »
KILL THE SODDING PAPERCLIP

"It looks like your writing a letter"
"What do you want me to do?"

"Kill myself"
"Delte all M$ Programes from your PC"
"create a GPF for you randomly"
"or make a blue screen"
KILL THE PAPERCLIP.
PROUD USER OF ZEUS SERVER AND RED HAT

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
MS Word
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2002, 20:21 »
I find AppleWorks on the Mac to be a smaller cheepr alternative. Dose everything Word does, even saves in word format all the way to 2001 and is only some 20MB. Never liked Word, have been an AppleWorks ClarisWorks fan since the getgo.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

cahult

• VIP
MS Word
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2002, 03:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
I find AppleWorks on the Mac to be a smaller cheepr alternative. Dose everything Word does, even saves in word format all the way to 2001 and is only some 20MB. Never liked Word, have been an AppleWorks ClarisWorks fan since the getgo.

I agree with you! Especially CW 4 is a beauty. I like 5 (haven