Author Topic: The prefrences toolbar is "133t"  (Read 1800 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
The prefrences toolbar is "133t"
« Reply #15 on: 2 November 2002, 14:30 »
okay. on windows 2000, i can run phoenix and install prefbar.xpi, however when i try installing it in linux, using mozilla1.1 or phoenix, i get a dialogue telling me 'required file does not exist'. How can i find out what file it wants? what are the requirements for this stupid prefbar, and how can i find out if i have them?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #16 on: 2 November 2002, 20:46 »
YOU HAVE TO BE ROOT!!!
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 2 November 2002, 22:16 »
i knew that...   :D

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 3 November 2002, 01:06 »
alright. i am doing it correctly, but it is not working. i install prefbar as root, no problem, it works, as root, then i copy the prefbar.rfb or whatever it's called, into the $HOME/.phoenix/default/wioy1twef5r/ directory (that last directory seems to be some randomly named folder which is differently named for every user).

I then change the permissions to that of the relevant user, and run phoenix. No prefbar. Getting irritated, i then try to install the prefbar as the user again, and this time, instead of 'required file not there' or whatever, i get 'read only'. What?

so, then i get pissed off and i copy the whole 'default' directory, to the user's default directory, and to boot, i also copy the other tGpe73tuee3t directory in there as well (if you get me so far), and lo and behold, when i run phoenix as the user, i get a blank window, saying that he default folder does not exist. i also get a dialogue telling me to creat a new profile. Deleting the .phoenix directory does not help, and puts me back at square one. The only solution is to uninstall and reinstall phoenix, which is easy, luckily, but what the bloody hell is going on?

has anybody else installed the prefbar in linux and if so, what do you do, STEP by STEP?
thank you.

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Calum-21.2 ]

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Calum-21.2 ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #19 on: 3 November 2002, 02:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum-21.2:
has anybody else installed the prefbar in linux and if so, what do you do, STEP by STEP?
thank you.

Yes, I had no problem installing on Linux. I just followed the Linux instructions on the prefbar web site. I just did a "su -", started mozilla "# mozilla" and clicked on the link to install the prefbar from the prefbar web site, exited back as a normal user and started mozilla and it worked. The funny thing is I didn't have to copy it manually to the users' "~/.mozilla/user/*" directory, that somehow happened magically on its own.

I don't use Pheonix, did it say it was supposed to work with Pheonix? It definitely works with both Mozilla 1.01 and 1.2a, haven't tried it on any other version.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #20 on: 3 November 2002, 04:24 »
yes, it's supposed to work in phoenix. if you go to tools>preferences>themes and extensions in phoenix, you can click 'get new extensions' which takes you to a xulplanet 'what you can install on phoenix 2.0' page, and it's mouse gestures, tab control and prefbar. I haven't tried to install it in mozilla yet, but i have read over those installation instructions about a dozen times trying to spot the trick!

thanks for replying though void main, knowing it worked for you helps me narrow it down.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #21 on: 3 November 2002, 05:14 »
If I get some free time from posting I might download Pheonix and see if I have any trouble installing the prefbar.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 6 November 2002, 02:28 »
well, i am having the same problem with mozilla.
the problem seems to be that the config files aren't in 'default', there's another folder inside default with a seemingly random name, which is different for each user. id this usual or am i missing something?