Author Topic: Mozilla 101 reasons why...  (Read 3998 times)

DJ

• Kudos: 0
    • http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
Mozilla 101 reasons why...
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2002, 02:54 »
Crazy Browser:

quote:
Minimum System Requirements

Computer/Processor : 486DX/66 or higher
Operating System : Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows NT 4.0 or later
Disk Space: 5 MB available for installation
Memory: 16 MB RAM
Browser: Microsoft
=)

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2002, 08:42 »
Where's the tab browsing. I've been using it all day, and the only tab I've seen is in the fridge. *rimshot*

Aha! Just found it. Is useless.

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: fett101 ]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2002, 21:18 »
fett101 is on heroin, we dont give a fuck!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2002, 21:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Master of Reality / B0b:
........uh-huh.......

i should have put space on the end.

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2002, 20:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by char X[11]:
fett101 is on heroin, we dont give a fuck!

I didn't know you cared.

pkd_lives

« Reply #20 on: 2 January 2003, 19:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by fett101:
Where's the tab browsing. I've been using it all day, and the only tab I've seen is in the fridge. *rimshot*

Aha! Just found it. Is useless.

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: fett101 ]

I actually thought the same thing. However I first ran across it in Opera. It got me wondering. Why would two popular browsers put this seemingly useless feature in?

So I decided to use it in some power browsing, having half a dozen pages open and working on them, viewing forums (and posting), sending and reading e-mail, viewing some info sites and placing orders on Amazon.

Switching between sites became so easy, so organized and so fast, it is now an important requirement. I work faster because of this one feature, and it is so much cleaner and more efficient than seperate windows.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2003, 17:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by * Red Ranger Software * PC Commando:
That's enough for now, stay tuned for part two.

How long is that going to take? It's been over 3 weeks.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2003, 18:06 »
tabbed browsing fucking rocks! how could somebody not realise how fantastic this feature is the first time the see it? i could not stand having 20 instances of IE open! it crashes the 'operating system' for a start...

also, i just took time to read through clock's 'replies' there, what a crock of shit. he either says 'this feature is useless so i am glad it is not in IE' (which is exactly what MS say, it translates as "You WILL do things OUR WAY! MWAH HA HA HA HAAAAAA!") or else he posts some crap about some plugin, 3rd party garbage, spyware addon or some hack that requires you to go and edit files and directory contents manually. Cookie management for instance. RRS, show me how 'C/WINDOWS/Cookies' helps me set up my cookies so that cookies are only accepted from the same server as the webpage i am viewing and are deleted at the moment that i close the browser? all decent browsers include this feature (konqueror does not, which is why it sucks compared to galeon and the mozillas).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2003, 19:41 »
You'll need IE 6 for this: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced -> First-party cookies: Accept, Third-party cookies: Block

And as for deleting cookies every time you log off, why would you want to? If you ask me, having to log in to a site every time you visit it (and having to remember the username and password) is much more hassle than the unwelcome cookies you're trying to avoid. You'd be much better off setting the above option to Prompt (or not visiting sites that store unwelcome cookies). But if you must, stick this in your AUTOEXEC.BAT:

DELTREE/Y WINDOWS\COOKIES

Del_this_account_please

• http://www.boomspeed.com/redgrounds/
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2003, 20:00 »
And furthermore, I like Outlook Express because it has so many flaws and bugs.

I love bugs! Mozilla Mail doesn't have any bugs, and therefore it sucks!

Watch my stupid poledancing movie which has a stolen music sample from Duke Nukem 3D.

Oh shit, that music sample belongs to 3DRealms  :eek:  

You guys won't try to sue me... right?

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: * Red Ranger Software * ]

The Great Poo: Good computer programs sux!

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2003, 20:27 »
What the hell are you talking about? Duke Nukem stole half his sounds from Doom and Hexen.

Fett101

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2003, 21:14 »
And he stole his lines from Evil Dead.

Del_this_account_please

• http://www.boomspeed.com/redgrounds/
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2003, 21:35 »
Oh wait... I was such a moron... 3DRealms made the music file played in level two of episode 1, in the stripper room, there own. It's called "barmusic.voc".

The Great Poo: Good computer programs sux!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2003, 21:59 »
quote:
You'll need IE 6 for this: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Advanced -> First-party cookies: Accept, Third-party cookies: Block
i won't need ie for that you dumbass. currently i am using phoenix and it goes 'Tools>Preferences>Privacy>Enable cookies for the originating webserver only'. as i said before ANY good webbrowser supports this (however i do not think it is 'advanced' which leads me to believe that either IE patronises its users or else those users really are too stupid to know what cookies are).

quote:
And as for deleting cookies every time you log off, why would you want to? If you ask me, having to log in to a site every time you visit it (and having to remember the username and password) is much more hassle than the unwelcome cookies you're trying to avoid.
i did not ask your opinion on this matter. in phoenix (and any good webbrowser) you can set this option using a tickbox in the same dialogue i used above for the cookies. simple and easy. what if i use a public computer and i want to be sure i will be logged off from any sites i visit even if i forget to logout manually? i suppose you're about to tell me to edit some system file with a text editor or some shit, when it would be quite simple to put this in a little dialogue box in preferences.  
quote:
You'd be much better off setting the above option to Prompt
and have some 'OK' box EVERY time i visit a site? no thanks, dumbass  
quote:
(or not visiting sites that store unwelcome cookies).
right. "Doctor it hurts when i do this" "Don't do that then". I am glad microsoft does not make medicines. You'd only be allowed to catch authorised diseases!  
quote:
But if you must, stick this in your AUTOEXEC.BAT:

ah here we go, finally this nice easy intuitive 'start up notepad and type this' bollocks. i thought windows was supposed to be easy? not only does this action NOT have a GUI but i would bet my hat it is NOT documented anywhere that a new user might find it. By contrast you can hardly miss it in phoenix, mozilla and galeon. No i prefer software that lets me do what i want, NOT what somebody else wants me to do.

Why do you continue to stand up for your puppeteers? is it true that you really have no freewill of your own?

two more points:
1) i don't need to take your convoluted advice and follow the ridiculous instructions because i use a real system and a real browser. i don't even have an autoexec.bat
2) will your autoexec.bat advice work in NT? will it work in XP? will it work in WinME? i don't honestly know. i am aware however that different versions of windows use different utils and different flags, making it all another degree more confusing. i am sure that while win98 has deltree, winme does not (or is it the other way round) and does xp have an autoexec.bat? (i bet it does actually, what progress!)

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

pkd_lives

« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2003, 01:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by * Red Ranger Software * PC Commando:

And as for deleting cookies every time you log off, why would you want to? If you ask me, having to log in to a site every time you visit it (and having to remember the username and password) is much more hassle than the unwelcome cookies you're trying to avoid. You'd be much better off setting the above option to Prompt (or not visiting sites that store unwelcome cookies). But if you must, stick this in your AUTOEXEC.BAT:

Mozilla gives me control of every individual cookie to deal with as I decide.

I can set the browser to log in to ANY site automatically, if I choose, refusing cookies does not in fact prevent this.

Refusing cookies does two things it prevents the immoral and in some places illegal collection of data about me without my knowledge and it increases my security because little files containing personal data such as my address and passwords are not available to anyone trying to read them. It's not that I should or shouldn't it's quite simply that I can (CHOICE is the operative word here).

And I should edit the the autoexec.bat file to remove cookies - what a fucking good idea, I've just been surfing the web now wait while I reboot my machine to get rid of the cookies, and as far as I know Macs do not have autoexec.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Linux Frank ]

Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.