Author Topic: Word.  (Read 1853 times)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Word.
« Reply #15 on: 2 June 2002, 03:18 »
maybe he is developing a plan to take over the world. (if it interferes with my plan, you will be destroyed)
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

HibbeeBoy

• Kudos: 0
Word.
« Reply #16 on: 3 June 2002, 21:23 »
Hmmm, running into a few problems getting to talk to anyone at the moment. After being on hold for so long I had to hang up without speaking to anyone. I'm detecting a bit of hostility towards M$ here but I think that M$ should get a chance  to amend their problem (if it is indeed their problem)so I am going to give them a quick call today. I think I already know what they are going to say though. Format hard drive and reload windows. Can't get fairer than that. You would do the same with a brand new vehicle right ? If the blinkers weren't working you would take the engine out and put it in again.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

hoojchoons

• http://www.linux.gr
Word.
« Reply #17 on: 3 June 2002, 21:42 »
quote:
I'm detecting a bit of hostility towards M$ here..

Hmmm, I think you're right. From what I've heard these are the Microsoft Eradication society forums. Could it be that you're detecting a bit of hostility towards M$ because of that?  :D  

quote:
If the blinkers weren't working you would take the engine out and put it in again  

Remind me to do that next time I change the oil, or change the sparkplugs.  :D  

I don't know whether to flame or laugh with this guy. Since he's most propably pulling our leg, I think I'll just stick to laughing my heart out  :D

HibbeeBoy

Word.
« Reply #18 on: 3 June 2002, 22:01 »
Oh it's no joke, Word will not work. I have a very disgruntled user who can't type up the menu for the staff picnic. The one duty she has all year. The confusion this will cause is beyond belief. People are not foing to know whether to bring the salad or dessert etc. I am still a bit concerned that the consensus here seems to be that once you buy the product (or any M$ product) you are on your own. My boss is having a hard time getting his head around this concept. The way this board has so eloquently informed me, if I buy an M$ product and it doesn't work I should not be surprised ? Surely not. There is not a company out there would be allowed to do that. Not in the USA anyway. Still on hold by the way but I am in the queue and my call will be taken in the order it is received.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Word.
« Reply #19 on: 3 June 2002, 22:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:
Hmmm, running into a few problems getting to talk to anyone at the moment. After being on hold for so long I had to hang up without speaking to anyone. I'm detecting a bit of hostility towards M$ here but I think that M$ should get a chance  to amend their problem (if it is indeed their problem)so I am going to give them a quick call today. I think I already know what they are going to say though. Format hard drive and reload windows. Can't get fairer than that. You would do the same with a brand new vehicle right ? If the blinkers weren't working you would take the engine out and put it in again.

i am willing to accept that you are having trouble getting support from M$, but your subtle tongue in cheek comments about 'hostility' and especially the one about the blinkers certainly shows your hand.

Welcome onboard, fellow cynic!  :D  Do you really support hibs?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Word.
« Reply #20 on: 3 June 2002, 22:13 »
I have a work around your problem.  Have each of the employees bring a dish thats name starts with the first letter of the employees last name. There is a chance you could get a duplicate dish or two but unlikely.  Then download and install a copy of OpenOffice for next year's picnic. Send your copy of Word back to Microsoft and demand your money back (don't count on getting it though). Open office can be downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org/ for free.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

HibbeeBoy

Word.
« Reply #21 on: 3 June 2002, 22:14 »
Yes, Hibs through and through. You need a sense of humour supporting them !

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Word.
« Reply #22 on: 3 June 2002, 22:48 »
so where do you stay then? you must be just up the road? i stay in the haymarket area...

Come along to binkies, i'll be playing there this evening, and say hello...

(you are probably a hibs fan in guatemala, or something now i have said that!)

I support Dunfermline Athletic actually...

HibbeeBoy

Word.
« Reply #23 on: 3 June 2002, 23:05 »
I'm actually in Los Angeles. I'm originally from Leith. I see the Pars took Brewster which is a shame for Hibs 'cos he was doing a decent job for us. Not scoring goals though but still making an impact.

Anyway, I am going to give up on this Word problem. I can't waste my day waiting on them answering the phone. I'm not going to the picnic anyway so I don't give a f**k.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Word.
« Reply #24 on: 3 June 2002, 23:57 »
that's the spirit! might as well get either OpenOffice or 602ProOffice anyway, they are both free, and can both be installed easily, even on windows.

HibbeeBoy

Word.
« Reply #25 on: 4 June 2002, 00:13 »
Well I am not so sure about deploying shareware Corporate wide but I am going to check it out. I can't tell you how many times I have said to my boss "I don't know why it crashes, it just does." everytime he gets the old "fatal error" message. And the funny thing is, he sticks by M$ products. It's a strange argument you get with him when you point out how shitty it performs but he still backs them. He probably has his pension fund tied to M$. HEY ! Have I just uncovered a conspiricy here ? Are all IT managers promoting M$ because they have shares in it ?!!
I am going to continue with trying to get an answer about why Word doesn't work when called from the Start/Programs icon. If I am told to format the disk and reload, I will bombard Gates with junk mail using his own prepaid postcards.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Word.
« Reply #26 on: 4 June 2002, 01:42 »
well 602ProOffice, is shareware, although, if you can do without the M$ access clone, you get a free lifelong licence, not sure about companies though,

Openoffice on the other hand is freeware, and opensource GPL too, this is a big difference, because companies can use it, and if you have somebody competent enough, you can modify the source code too, so long as you are prepared to distribute the new source for free also.

I hope you enjoy those, if you want an alternative to M$ word that costs and has full support and so on, then go to the Sun Microsystems site and get StarOffice, very similar to openoffice, except that it's made by Sun, so they charge for it, and they support it.

HibbeeBoy

Word.
« Reply #27 on: 4 June 2002, 02:01 »
Cheers for the info. M$ has to be stopped !
Just been informed, reformat the hard drive, reinstall windows etc. Who knew ?!! This is an outrage !! There has to be a better way. They also said that the "Normal.dot" (Word Template) can cause problems. Oh yeah ? So why don't they f*****g fix it then !
BTW, you might want to warn people there's a picture of you on your web site. My 3 year old got a glimpse and now she won't sleep with the light off !  :D

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Word.
« Reply #28 on: 4 June 2002, 03:16 »
you knew the risks when you clicked the link!  ;)