Author Topic: Mozilla being shelved in favour of phoenix  (Read 926 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mozilla being shelved in favour of phoenix
« on: 3 April 2003, 22:38 »
http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html

look at the new mozilla roadmap. now they have cleared the 1.0 hill, they want to streamline mozilla by making it a suite of apps rather than one huge hulking thing.

i suspect this will provoke strong reaction once it gets around.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #1 on: 4 April 2003, 02:49 »
i like seperate apps better. like apples iLife suite. they could have bundled everything together. indtead, they have dif apps that all talk/work seamlessely together. i think it will allow them to make stronger applications.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #2 on: 4 April 2003, 06:43 »
Mozilla is an OS.  

You know, it handels nearly everything by itself (instead of letting the normal OS GUI take care of the, lets say, mouse, it handles it itself!).

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2003, 12:18 »
Not quite, but it is a pretty much full UI.

Mozilla would be good if svgalib ported (and just ran tabs all the time).

Faust

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 4 April 2003, 16:53 »
[sarcasm]yes mozilla would look *so* good in svga graphics.  and easy to navigate around those tabs with a keyboard too!  oh and dont forget how nicely those pics would render![/sarcasm]

btw re the tabs : click options, preferences, tabbed browsing and im sure you can figure out what box to click on. 8-)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

baggab

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2003, 01:59 »
Is Mozilla solid OSS?  I have been using it as a browser for 6 months.  I was directed to using Composer for HTML web site development.

Now I'm back to looking at Mozilla and AOL.  Is my understanding correct: AOL could stop funding the project (which would slow its progress considerably,) but it cannot make the software proprietary again.

I don't think much of AOL and its conroling ways.

SAJChurchey

• http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2003, 21:27 »
Phoenix, Chimera (or whatever the fuck it's called now).  It's pretty much all the same, running the Gecko engine.  It's just a matter of what u need it to do.  Most people need only a navigator, which i would recommend one of the other projects for.

I still use Mozilla, b/c I still use the mail program crom time to time, and sometiems the IRC Chat client.

As long as your supporting open source, it's ok.

They're plans since the 1.0 release was to create a suite of apps, including a calendar among other things.  I don't think it's a bad thing, although if you integrate it as such, it tends to run a bit less inefficiently, but that's the cost of integrated convenience.

It's all a matter of which part of the Mozilla suite you need.  Most people use it exclusively as a browser and need to download Phoenix and Chimera for the sake of efficiency.
SAJChurchey                    

baggab

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2003, 01:45 »
After a couple of days of education about Mozilla, and its owner AOL, I have become more comfortable with this dichotomy.

As the previous post says: as long as your supporting open source what does it matter.

Its just that I am embarking on a animation project /w web components and I didn't want to see the house cave in down the road -- say five years.