Author Topic: Netscape 7.0 Shrivels Under Mozilla's Shadow  (Read 2801 times)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Netscape 7.0 Shrivels Under Mozilla's Shadow
« Reply #15 on: 4 September 2002, 13:34 »
Actually I originally mentioned the "runonce" registry key which is used by any application that wants to use it. There is one for HKLM and HKCU. When you install an application it can use that key to run a program once after a reboot or login, then it removes the program from the key. Many Windows viruses use this key. However, I was thinking of the runonce.asp page.

And there was an article about why MSN was getting such a large number of hits because IE defaulted to it.  Are you saying that MS doesn't own MSN? I would not consider this a serious case of phone home, but it's surely phone home when they use the collected information (such as IE hit count on MSN).  My prefered browser (Konqueror) opens up to a page on the local hard drive on a default installation. I much prefer that.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #16 on: 4 September 2002, 13:44 »
MSN.com (Microsoft Network) is definatley owned by MS obviously. Them having a hit counter is nothing. I know tons of sites that have a hit counter. If the browser was phoning home with info about the name of the registered user for the particular installation of Windows, about your system, etc. it would connect to a server that has microsoft.com on it. Like when WMP connects/phones home to get info about a CD that you are playing in it, or if it is checking a digital signature on protected content it connects to windowsmedia.microsoft.com . Of course WMP phoning home on those occasions is no big deal if you ask me. Before anyone comments on WMP phoning home occasionaly I'll just take my time to remind you all that most modern media players do phone home to get album info(like Winamp, Creative PlayCenter, MusicMatch JukeBox, RealPlayer, etc.) so it isn't something that you can criticize MS for. It sure beats the hell out of having to manually enter album and track info(like you had to do with the CD Player in Windows 95).

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: 4 September 2002, 14:05 »
Well there is a fair amount of information that can come from an IE browser "hit".  You can tell the version of IE, the version of OS, the IP address that the hit is from, etc, etc.  Now it may be far fetched but that information could be used to trigger an audit of a company based on this information (who knows what criteria goes into the M$ audit triggers).

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 4 September 2002, 14:13 »
maybe that's one of the usual ways they decide to audit somebody?  
quote:
If the browser was phoning home with info about the name of the registered user for the particular installation of Windows, about your system, etc. it would connect to a server that has microsoft.com on it.
what? why?

what's to stop Microsoft registering other domain names just for this purpose to try and throw you off the scent?

also, i have winamp, i also have CDexOS. both can access the internet if i allow it, but to download track listings and so on, they only connect to the FreeCDDB server. they do not 'phone home'. Do you only trust Microsoft certified track listings now?

might i add that the several procedures you have mentioned already in this thread zombie are not widely known about or used. they are fiddly and will not be found in any docs or help files by the casual user.

also, how can you trust a browser that is integrated into your operating system?

one last point, mozilla and opera run on about eight types of operating system, how many does IE run on?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

« Reply #19 on: 4 September 2002, 14:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
maybe that's one of the usual ways they decide to audit somebody?  what? why?

what's to stop Microsoft registering other domain names just for this purpose to try and throw you off the scent?

also, i have winamp, i also have CDexOS. both can access the internet if i allow it, but to download track listings and so on, they only connect to the FreeCDDB server. they do not 'phone home'. Do you only trust Microsoft certified track listings now?

might i add that the several procedures you have mentioned already in this thread zombie are not widely known about or used. they are fiddly and will not be found in any docs or help files by the casual user.

also, how can you trust a browser that is integrated into your operating system?

one last point, mozilla and opera run on about eight types of operating system, how many does IE run on?

Creative Playcenter also connects to CDDB. The point is, other media players phone to a home too(CDDB being the home being phoned to for a couple of the players..who is to say CDDB doesn't collect data about a user though?). MS doesn't have to rely on a retrieval service like CDDB because they are large enough to have thier own retrieval databse. Collecting media info is nothing anyone should be worried about.

The idea of MS registring another domain to throw people off is a clever thought. However, I still don't think that IE phones home because the only addresses that show up on my firewall log are addresses that I have visited(nothing suspicious has ever come up) and the IP's of lamers who try to port sniff me and/or try to hack me(nobody has ever successfully broke through though            ). IE runs on 2 different OSes...Windows and MacOS.

Do I only trust MS certified track listings? Nope, not at all. I don't even bother with propriarity formats that can be protected(like wma and wmv). If I get something that is propriarity I use the appropriate program to convert it to non-propriarity(I've taken a serious liking to TMPGEnc Plus for all of my propriarity video to mpeg video conversion needs). The only formats I will use on my system are MP3 for audio and MPEG/MPG for video. I refuse to use Quicktime, Real Media or Windows Media propriarity formats. ;P

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #20 on: 4 September 2002, 15:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
The idea of MS registring another domain to throw people off is a clever thought. However, I still don't think that IE phones home because the only addresses that show up on my firewall log are addresses that I have visited(nothing suspicious has ever come up) and the IP's of lamers who try to port sniff me and/or try to hack me(nobody has ever successfully broke through though             ). IE runs on 2 different OSes...Windows and MacOS.
now i think about it, isn't there a trial version for UX as well? re: firewall, okay, you are smart enough to have good firewalling, i know that, but are most people? i think it is bad news to play off people's ignorance, so maybe the only reason you have a clean log is due to your own decent administration of your own system.

quote:

Do I only trust MS certified track listings? Nope, not at all. I don't even bother with propriarity formats that can be protected(like wma and wmv). If I get something that is propriarity I use the appropriate program to convert it to non-propriarity(I've taken a serious liking to TMPGEnc Plus for all of my propriarity video to mpeg video conversion needs). The only formats I will use on my system are MP3 for audio and MPEG/MPG for video. I refuse to use Quicktime, Real Media or Windows Media propriarity formats. ;P

good! me too, however i have yet to find any decent program to convert quicktime into anything else. any good suggestions for this sort of thing? i particularly want support for this stuff in linux, so maybe you are not the person to ask. and i already went to doom9, which was good, up to a point... sorry, off topic.

with you making comments like this, zombie4627824678, people might get the idea that you're a pretty reasonable guy! you need to watch that...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

« Reply #21 on: 4 September 2002, 19:49 »
I use TMPGEnc Plus to convert Quicktime video to MPEG. TMPGEnc doesn't let you know that you can do this(probably so Apple can't sue). When you are choosing your video source file pull down the *files of type* menu down and put it on All Files(*.*), then select your Quicktime video and do the rest like you normally would to encode the video.

In a matter of minutes you will have your QT video converted to MPEG. I haven't ran into a QT video that it hasn't converted yet.

(EDIT)The build of TMPGEnc I have is 2.57.41.146(I'm getting ready to update to 2.58 now that I know it is available). Version 2.58 is now available at www.tmpgenc.net.. 2.58 is somewhat free.  There is a timebomb on MPEG-2(SVCD/DVD format) encoding functionality(I can help you with removing that timebomb though ;P). There is no timebomb for the MPEG-1(Video CD) encoding functionality.

Sorry, I don't know of any good Linux video encoder apps. ;(

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #22 on: 4 September 2002, 20:07 »
Calum mencoder is what you want for video conversion. It converts fram all formats that mplayer reads. (AVI/ASF/OGG/DVD/VCD/VOB/MPG/MOV/VIV/FLI/RM/NUV/NET)
Contains scenes of mild peril.

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #23 on: 5 September 2002, 01:59 »
somebody need to work on mencoder, i think it is single threaded. so having an origin or anything like that won't speed up the dvd to divx, or whatever to divx, mplayer needs to multithreaded, i mean, smp is the future, and yes, mplayer kicks alot of ass. it doesn't have a history function on the gui, it can be used without a gui, or even X, it supports a bunch of odd ass hardware
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 5 September 2002, 03:50 »
MEncoder really is an excellent and powerful app *if* you can get it set up on your system. I agree it needs a LOT of work as I fought for a couple of hours one day trying to get all the pieces together. When I did I must say it was worth it as it provided exactly the flexibility I needed in creating the movies I needed from still JPEG images (in addition to all the other types of conversion/manipulation that you can do with it).

If they could just get it into the necessary RPMs for each OS they would be about done. Maybe they have that by now, it's been a little while since I last installed it.

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 5 September 2002, 14:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by VoidMain:
MEncoder really is an excellent and powerful app *if* you can get it set up on your system. I agree it needs a LOT of work as I fought for a couple of hours one day trying to get all the pieces together. When I did I must say it was worth it as it provided exactly the flexibility I needed in creating the movies I needed from still JPEG images (in addition to all the other types of conversion/manipulation that you can do with it).

If they could just get it into the necessary RPMs for each OS they would be about done. Maybe they have that by now, it's been a little while since I last installed it.

Voidman, I got it working. So if I got it working anyone can get it working.

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 5 September 2002, 15:37 »
Tux, you seem to be pretty good at this stuff, you are trying to be funny by selling yourself short.  I guess the only thing I can think of that could be added to MEncoder is a GUI frontend for those who need it (ick). But maybe there is one out there? Or maybe it already has one and I just didn't look. I probably wouldn't have used it if it came with one but I am sure many people would find it useful.

Now there is an idea for a beginner programming project.  All the hard work is already done, it would just be a GUI that performs system calls of all of the MEncoder options. That could get pretty complex as there are many options and ways to pipe things but the tools and hard work still is already done.  Oh and put everything in a nice RPM package for all the popular Linux distros.  

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: 5 September 2002, 15:46 »
2 seconds on google and look what I found...
kmencoder

I don't want it, somebodey else might...

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 5 September 2002, 16:35 »
Wow, that project is only a couple of weeks old!  It's almost like I can see into the past. With talent like that I better stay away from Vegas!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #29 on: 5 September 2002, 17:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

IE doesn't have spyware out of the box. It is easy to obtain spyware cookies and registry entries in IE though because of ad-banners. The ad-banner sites can be blocked if you modify your HOSTS file.

What edit a file in Windows... sory too difficult when i can just do the same in the prefrences for Mozilla.

quote:

Alexa and fastclick are the 2 most common forms of spyware that IE aquires from just surfing the net. The reason why IE is more affected by spyware stuff than Mozilla is because the ad-banner sites code thier shit for the most browser.

And you bag my english... Mozilla is preety spyware proof. And with Mozilla i can add custom code too it.

quote:

If Mozilla was the top dawg in the market then the stuff would be designed to be picked up by Mozilla. It isn't IE's fault that all of these websites choose to use ad-banners to bring in revenues.

Oh sorry, a standard sedan must be better then a BMW because more people own them... I guess i should go buy a GM listen to eminem and use Windows and IE, thanks for elightening me!

quote:

What does IE have that Mozilla doesn't? Hmmm, maybe support for extra mouse buttons? Extra

Has support for my mouse wheel, thats fine... If i get a mouse with more buttons i will get the source and do it myself.

quote:

features on sites(like IE6 can use Chat 2.0(an extra) or standard Java chat in Yahoo chat as opposed to Mozilla only being able to use Java chat) ;P

Ba hahahaha ever heard of IRC!

Oh, i just said what im replying too to my bother

quote:

tell him hes a poof

Your a poof!