Author Topic: An interesting little program...  (Read 2505 times)

Bateluer

• Kudos: 0
An interesting little program...
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2002, 10:50 »
I love to eradicate IE from my system, but my online banking only working IE.  :(  

I use Opera for all other browsing tasks tho.  

dbl221

« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2002, 06:16 »
Hey I hat the same problem with .org in Galleon........man I thought I was going insane with that prblem.

As for your banking....it is doubtfull that your bank prohibits you from using Mozilla and Co....try playing with the security settings....most banks require at least 128bit strength ecryption.....also check to make sure https is enabled.  
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Mojo

« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2002, 08:33 »
Mozilla is -THE BEST- stuff Opera - Mozilla - get 0.9.9 for x86, Win32, BSD, PPC, etc etc  www.mozilla.org

Oh and with IERadicator - it removes IE - and all IE components (MSHTML.DLL) meaning all those programs with IE features and controls (IMesh, Morpheus, Outlook Express etc) wont work - in fact you'll get problems with not being able to run some apps - trust me ive been down that road.

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Mojo ]

Centurian

• http://www.darkmares.2ya.com
« Reply #18 on: 27 March 2002, 19:40 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Mozilla is -THE BEST- stuff Opera - Mozilla - get 0.9.9 for x86, Win32, BSD, PPC, etc etc  www.mozilla.org

Oh and with IERadicator - it removes IE - and all IE components (MSHTML.DLL) meaning all those programs with IE features and controls (IMesh, Morpheus, Outlook Express etc) wont work - in fact you'll get problems with not being able to run some apps - trust me ive been down that road.

I have to agree Mojo. People should not remove IE they are much better off to simply NOT use IE. I also agree that Mozilla is the "best" browser on the planet.
Later
Centurian

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2002, 21:01 »
well, i reckon opera is good, haven't used mozilla for windows, but it sure is good on the mac. right up there with opera in fact  ;)

plus, i was really happy with ieradicator. it doesn't actually remove ALL ie code, but it does remove 99% of it, so as to allow outlook to stay working, but as for the rest of those programs, i don't know.
I notice my active desktop no longer works though! (well whoop dee doo!) and since i will *never* have a copy of outlook of any variant on my hard drive again, i actually wish ieradicator *would* remove that other 1%!
each to their own though, i supppose!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Centurian

« Reply #20 on: 27 March 2002, 22:39 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
well, i reckon opera is good, haven't used mozilla for windows, but it sure is good on the mac. right up there with opera in fact   ;)  

plus, i was really happy with ieradicator. it doesn't actually remove ALL ie code, but it does remove 99% of it, so as to allow outlook to stay working, but as for the rest of those programs, i don't know.
I notice my active desktop no longer works though! (well whoop dee doo!) and since i will *never* have a copy of outlook of any variant on my hard drive again, i actually wish ieradicator *would* remove that other 1%!
each to their own though, i supppose!

Unfortunately there is a problem with that. Have you ever noticed that alot of your editors and other simular programs seem to use IE like features. This is due to a programming tool known as Richedit. IE is the easiest way to interface richedit features so alot of programmers use it.

This creates problems for the end user. If they remove IE they can't use alot of windows programs. Some example I can think of off hand are Front Page and most HTML editors, almost every compiler IDE (Integrated Development Environment), and most editors. Although I have never used it I would guess things like Microsoft Word are also included in the list.
Therefore if you remove IE with IE-Eradicator you lose features from alot of other programs.

This is how IE is integrated into windows. MS made programming tools available to the public that would allow them to use the IE interface if the programmer chose to do so. Since that is the easiest way to handle an interface of that type a great many programmers utilize it.

I am sure there are other programming features like richedit but I can't think of any others at the moment.

The thing is that IE is expected to be on a windows system. So programs don't tend to tell you that IE is required.
Later
Centurian

Gonusto

« Reply #21 on: 28 March 2002, 00:17 »
I wonder what would happen if someone removed Internet Explorer and reinstalled and then just didn't use it?  I know that it would no longer be integrated into the operating system, but maybe it would solve the problems some people have using programs that require IE.  Or does IE *have* to be integrated for some programs to work?  Anybody have any thoughts on this?

-Gonusto

Centurian

« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2002, 00:36 »
Hey,

quote:
Originally posted by Gonusto:
I wonder what would happen if someone removed Internet Explorer and reinstalled and then just didn't use it?  I know that it would no longer be integrated into the operating system, but maybe it would solve the problems some people have using programs that require IE.  Or does IE *have* to be integrated for some programs to work?  Anybody have any thoughts on this?

-Gonusto

Since I reinstalled windows 98 as a dual boot I have not once used IE to connect to the net. I used Mozilla in windows and most of the time in linux. Anyway I have had no problems with windows since I re-installed it.

BTW the reasons I re-installed it are..

1. Games(Diablo, Diablo II etc.)
2. I enjoy writing games in windows. The compiler I use is presently Windows only.
Later
Centurian

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2002, 04:57 »
quote:
 I wonder what would happen if someone removed Internet Explorer and reinstalled and then just didn't use it? I know that it would no longer be integrated into the operating system, but maybe it would solve the problems some people have using programs that require IE. Or does IE *have* to be integrated for some programs to work? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I did exactly that with Win 95. I used IEradicator to ditch IE. That worked just fine, however, it "broke" too many other apps.  :(   Clearly, this wasn't acceptable as I kept getting so many errors advising that this or that needed to be reinstalled. So I went ahead and dropped the IE5.5 CD in the tray and let it reinstall. That went smoothly, IE was back and working just fine, and other apps quit complaining about being broke. No further reinstalls were necessary. An added benefit is that this one piece of spyware shit seems to have disappeared.

In my case, it makes no difference to me whether or not IE is there as I very seldom ever use Win 95 to connect to the 'Net. Usually, this is for visiting kids who like to play the games at the Cartoon Network website, as this site is not the least bit Linux-friendly  :mad:  And for those occasions when I do use it on the 'Net, I have Netscape set up as the default browser anyway.