Author Topic: IE and IIS Cheating  (Read 1239 times)

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
IE and IIS Cheating
« on: 4 January 2003, 12:13 »
When using IE browsing an IIS server, everything is very speedy. That's why there are so many complaints that other browsers are "slower". But, as usual, this is because MS is cheating.
Full explanation

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #1 on: 4 January 2003, 13:03 »
Maybe apache should slow down IE users.

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #2 on: 4 January 2003, 19:55 »
Maybe you should take that ugly mug of yours out of your sig. At least I don't force everyone to look at mine.

And in the amount of time it took me to post this, he did.

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: * Red Ranger Software * PC Commando ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #3 on: 4 January 2003, 20:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by * Red Ranger Software * PC Commando:
Maybe you should take that ugly mug of yours out of your sig. At least I don't force everyone to look at mine.

Or you could have just right clicked on his picture and did a "block images from this server". Oh wait, you use IE, never mind.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

DC

IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #4 on: 8 January 2003, 23:21 »
Wait - MS doesn't hold itself to widely accepted standards and makes up their own to give a lead to their own products?

In other news, film at eleven.

Apache should not slow down IE users. Apache should play nice and adhere to standards. You want to punish MS by doing what they do?
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #5 on: 9 January 2003, 13:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by DC:
Apache should not slow down IE users. Apache should play nice and adhere to standards. You want to punish MS by doing what they do?

yes. that would be most apt. in this case i agree with you that apache should not slow down users of IE since the users and not MS would then suffer.

Actually now i think about it, why shouldn't it slow down IE? the dumbass users will just blame it on IE and look around for an alternative product. Do it i say!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

DC

IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2003, 18:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
Actually now i think about it, why shouldn't it slow down IE? the dumbass users will just blame it on IE and look around for an alternative product. Do it i say!

Because you'll lower yourself to MS's practices. How can you condemn their practices if you do the same?
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2003, 18:25 »
how about if the people who make IE slower are totally vocal and open about it instead of covering it up like MS do? this way awareness would come faster, and people would change from IE to get the faster browsing, plus in the process people would give open source fanatics an ear to hear what they had to say.

If it was done openly and vocally this could be a big chance for the anti-MS crowd to get people on side, and it could be the next step in the 'browser wars'.

DC

IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2003, 22:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
how about if the people who make IE slower are totally vocal and open about it instead of covering it up like MS do? this way awareness would come faster, and people would change from IE to get the faster browsing, plus in the process people would give open source fanatics an ear to hear what they had to say.

If it was done openly and vocally this could be a big chance for the anti-MS crowd to get people on side, and it could be the next step in the 'browser wars'.

Not gonna work. If we say we're bashing the customers (which, in a sense, is what you suggests), they're gonna see us as the bad guys. MS won't say that. And we can't prove they do either (remember the golden rule: people are stupid).

Besides, the way IE does stuff, IE is already slower on non-ISS machines (in comparison to other browsers - IE waits for the first request to time-out). And Apache IS keeping to the standards! So we don't *have* to slow them down, MS does that for us.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
IE and IIS Cheating
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2003, 14:21 »
hmm, i think you're a little too cynical in this case. never mind, maybe you are right.