Author Topic: Netscape/Mozilla flaw exposes hard drives  (Read 2037 times)

Ctrl Alt Del 123

• Kudos: 0
Netscape/Mozilla flaw exposes hard drives
« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2002, 00:45 »
VoidMain, yes I have done my research. My point was that no software is solid. And if more people use it, more flaws will be found. The thing is, atleast the holes get fixed with MS products fast enough. It's bad they have the holes in the first place, but since a lot of people use MS products, more holes will be found, then fixed.

Also, when a Linux flaw is found, it does not get nearly as much publicity as a Microsoft hole. I have yet to turn to a non-tech TV station and hear them MENTION "Linux hole discovered". Why? Because more people use MS, everyone knows MS, therefore that's what the majority of people care about. Go to a Tech Network or web site, you will find news on Linux flaws, but they aren't in bog bold letters like MS holes are.

Also, you must see the difference between IE updates and Windows updates. IE will have more security updates because it is a web browser, it's going on the net, whereas Windows is an OS. True, IE is built into Windows, that does not mean you have to use IE.

Also, I don't know anyone's PC that has been damaged or hacked through one of those holes found in Windows or IE. MS haters hear of a hole, and instantly say "Oh my god, Windows is so insecure and sucks". Part of this is true, but, who discovers these holes in the first place? SECURITY FIRMS, people paid to find these holes.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #16 on: 4 May 2002, 00:56 »
Dubble posted cuz Im a maoron.

See bellow.

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2002, 00:56 »
Um, your point being?

I don't think we were denying your claim but rather that IE had (and likely has (I hardly use it)) worse holes.

Besidess...

In one case you have to rely on M$ to release a patch. And they drag their ass about it. Sometimes they make you pay.

A hole is found in Linux, you patch it yourself. Or you submit it to the community and they patch it. Faster, more efficient, and free.

You can't beat Linux's (and UNIX's) thousands of developers with M$'s paltry few hundred. Just like you can't defete the passion of people who actually love working with computers and keeping things running, with a bunch of money hungry white-collar criminals *cough* *cough* M$ *cough*.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2002, 16:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

The line you pointed out in your post doesn't mean it is fixed you fucking reject. The reason it doesn't affect Mozilla RC-1 is because XMLHttpRequest is broken meaning it doesn't work properly(You conveniantly left out the broken part in the line you pointed out..didn't you). Surely when Mozilla 1.0 final is released it wont have known broken features will it? If it has working XMLHttpRequest then the bug will live again in 1.0 Final.

Don't go around and try to call broken browser features a fix. LmFaO.

LmFaO, even the beta versions of IE6 didn't have broken features. Apparently Mozilla sucks for offering downloads of thier browsers which have stuff that don't work in them. I wonder what else is broken in Mozilla other than XMLHttpRequest? HaHaHa.

[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

True but the bug is not there you fucking reject

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2002, 20:32 »
quote:
Surely when Mozilla 1.0 final is released it wont have known broken features will it? If it has working XMLHttpRequest then the bug will live again in 1.0 Final.
come to think of it, with this attitude, i'm surprised any development has gone on ever in computing! Imagine a whole bunch of developers of the zombie5246354623745 school of thought, every time they come up against a hurdle they all say "oh well this'll never be fixed, what's the point in trying, we'll just leave it to somebody else to try to write a workaround. (of course we're so smart that we know it can't be done)" Zombie53267543267 reminds me of Marvin the paranoid android.
or sideshow Bob...

Zombie5432675467234 seems to have the approach that progress means (errantly) pointing out what it is impossible to accomplish. You wait, in 5 or 10 years, all these things zombie536734527 says are impossible will have come to pass and more.

Back to the discussion in hand, why oh why do you (zombie5324754327) say that there must continue to be a bug in the program? there is a way to make anything work (without bugs), it's just a matter of finding or creating that way. It's just writing a browser for christ's sake! it's a constant series of developments. The fastest development of mozilla 1 will obviously be in the few weeks after it has come out, because lots of people will be trying it out and finding out the bugs pertinent to their own OS/hardware/connection(s).

I think, honestly, that zombie51145166 has still failed to grasp the basis of the open source model. People are supposed to find bugs. They find them all nice and early, and fix them themselves, or somebody else fixes them. All for free. We've said it before, and i don't think you'll get it this time either. M$' approach to bugs is to hope nobody finds them out, then when one of their bugs is exploited, they take a while for people to get really panicky and pissed off, so that people will pay for the bug fix. If they brought out the fix the day the problem was discovered, would people pay so much for it? Actually, would they have any choice? even if the users had the expertise to fix the bug themselves, no source code is available so they do not have that option.

Why do i bother? You will only come back with some argument. I only have one thing to say, Zombie256415156, Never talk in absolutes!

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2002, 00:27 »
psyjax, a little more than a few hundrad exployees work at MS, add about 3 or 4 zeros to the end of hundred and maybe then you have th number of MS employees (and they can be anywhere, not just in Redmond).

psyjax

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2002, 00:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ctrl Alt Del 123:
psyjax, a little more than a few hundrad exployees work at MS, add about 3 or 4 zeros to the end of hundred and maybe then you have th number of MS employees (and they can be anywhere, not just in Redmond).

How many actual Coders tho?

how many people directly involved with the creation of windoze??

I place that within the hundreds. Anyone care to find an actual figure?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2002, 01:53 »
who gives a shit? just look at the results? i think M$ employed the 1 million proverbial monkeys, set them at random keyboards, and hoped that chaos theory would make one of them eventually write the perfect operating system...

besides, one of those monkeys might figure out the difference between  
quote:
originally posted by Ctrl Alt Del 123:

employees
and  
quote:
originally posted by psyjax:

developers
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ctrl Alt Del 123

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2002, 04:55 »
I don't care who works at MS and how many people work on the OS. Same thing with musicians, I love The Crystal Methods music, but know next to nothing about them. It really doesn't matter.

dbl221

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2002, 07:46 »
A neat trick the sys-admin guy at my college used to keep our hacking er I mean internet security class from rooting his box for a second time last semester was to remove uname.   Man let me tell you it works.  Try it.
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2002, 13:25 »
Netscape 6.2.2 update now avaible with the XMLharddiskexpse bug solved...