Author Topic: Messenger likes my comp  (Read 1268 times)

Topper

• Kudos: 0
Messenger likes my comp
« on: 17 April 2002, 14:38 »
I've downloaded Trillian (excellent), uninstalled cheezy ICQ, I go to uninstall MSN in the control panel ADD/REMOVE.... hmm messenger isn't on the list to uninstall, I open up Norton Utitlies 2002, this should take care of anything (The file 'C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe' is protected and cannot be selected.) Now doesn't that beat all?

Am I doing something completely wrong here or does MSN just refuse to leave without a fight?

I'll leave the space below this post open for the smart people who know how get rid of this thing. hehe.   :D  

thx.
I wouldn't doubt it's microsofts fault I'm ugly. :(

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2002, 14:59 »
i chose when last reinstalling windows not to install messenger in the first place.
if it is installed i suggest you first uninstall IExplore using IEradicator
then go to the start menu and find/search for any files containing 'msn', 'messenger' or 'msnmsg'.
You will then need to excercise your discretion about which of those resultant files you want to delete. Basically you want to delete msnmsg.exe, any .gif, .jpg, or .log files, i did this last night and freed up 300 kb.
The same process is necessary to uninstall outlook express, unless you chose not to install it at last reinstall time...

good luck, i have not tried trillian yet, and i am ont sure if it will work on a system with no internet exploder.
stay tuned though, i will be trying out trillian on my windows system tonight, and will post the results tomorrow. ( i have a head start since i have no outlook, no msnmessenger and no iexploder on my windows side at all. )
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2002, 15:03 »
also try this to delete msnmsg.exe if you can't do it in windows,
go to add/remove programs, then 'startup disk', and make an emergancy startup disk.
Then reboot, with the disk in your floppy drive, and you should be booted into dos.
type:
c: <enter> to change to your C drive, then you can navigate around with the CD (change directory) command, and when you get to c:/progra~1/messen~1/msnmsg.exe or wherever it is, type:
deltree msnmsg.exe (or whatever it is called) and select 'y' when prompted, repeat for any other files that piss you off, then take the floppy out of the drive, and reboot into windows.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2002, 17:23 »
or you could download linux-Mandrake first, then go into DOS and type "format c:"
then startup your computer using a linux CD and install linux and be happy.

note:you actually dont have to format c: yourself, the linux install will do it for you. It just funner to delete all of windows yourself  
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2002, 18:06 »
yes, yes, yes, i support Microsoft windows mods ONLY as part of a Microsoft controlled diet, which MUST INCLUDE installing linux, at least as a dual boot setup.
Still, i appreciate the art of ripping so called "integrated" M$ programs untimely from the operating system's womb, so to speak...

Can trillian be run in linux?
basically i am asking for a nonM$ M$N client application running on linux, preferably open source. This is relevant isn't it? since this chap will then be able to format c: quite happily without losing any msn functionality...

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2002, 19:37 »
smack me bcuz i'm so retarded, but what is trillian ??

i suck, sigh

:(
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2002, 20:04 »
http://www.trillian.cc/" target="_blank">
quote:
Communicate with Flexibility and Style.
Trillian is everything you need for instant messaging. Connect to

foobar

Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2002, 20:18 »
Hey, isn't that coincidence !

I've got exactly the same problem, calum !
I installed Win95USB because i've got this lucent winmodem (and my Slackware 3.1.0 hasn't got the 'lspci' binary that it needs for my linmodem proprietary drivers  :mad:  ) and i still want to visit the Forums. Also, lots of friends ask me about MSN, because they all have it, because everybody else has. Another microsoft issue.
Anyway, i didn't install the IE 4 setup asked for (it installed IE3 anyway, the basterd) but I left it alone and happyly installed netscape. When i tried to install the bloody messenger, it wouln't launch because it so called needed IE4.

I'll try trillian! Is it also available for *nix?
Linux user #283039

badkarma

• VIP
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2002, 22:07 »
try centericq for *nix if you have slackware f00bar, it's a console ICQ/MSN/AIM client.

And slackware 3.1.0? Isn't it time for an upgrade?  
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

foobar

Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2002, 22:24 »
well, i currently have a p133 32mbRAM so that won't do much good. I have had slackware 8.0.0 from kooplinux.nl (when it's name used to be tienpiek.net) but it wouln't run stuff like squake
and KDE was pure torment. Now, i have lent it out to a friend   :(  

As soon as a buy a new comp (without winblows xpee, that's for certain) i'm gonna put mandrake on it.
Linux user #283039

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2002, 01:03 »
alright ten out of ten for trillian, it's excellent. it has no dependencies on a WindowsME system (and thats some feat!)
you can get rid of icq, msn, and all that yahoo and aol shit right now.
you will have to weed outlook and msn out by hand but you can uninstall icq, yahoo, and aol from the add/remove programs menu, and try going to http://98lite.net/ for helpful free programs to help you enhance windows even more.
You can get trillian from www.trillian.cc and it is also free.
that thing for linux sounds fab too, and if i ever get my crappy sis630 modem working in linux, i'll be using that first......

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2002, 01:41 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you use your ICQ account with Trillian, ICQ doesn't say you are online. Use both ICQ and Trillian side by side.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2002, 12:13 »
Who cares, use MSN MESSENGER and put more load on Microshits servers    or use Netscape Instant Messenger. Or fuck messenger programs...

Just use these forums, and write a macro that refreshes them every few seconds.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2002, 12:55 »
i think there should be a forum just for you pair to argue in
At least clock seems to be gatting back up to the level of irritation that he manifested when he first posted here.

Also re: yr "who cares" comment, i think somebody actually asked if trillian would work without internet explorer installed (which it does)

I don't use ICQ for reasons that will only escape clock if i try to explain, and similarly with M$N, i don't expect i could explain my reasons for not using it to his satisfaction.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Messenger likes my comp
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2002, 14:04 »
Hmm my local lan party has a forum and a simlar
thread "Abregado and Bongers Deathmatch"
Maybe we need a "X11 and Goosenbury Deathmatch"

Some things goosenbury says are slightly handy, but he is a fucking troll