Author Topic: Mozilla Mail (on RH9)  (Read 989 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« on: 17 August 2003, 16:20 »
when i start mozilla using "mozilla" and select mozilla mail from the "window" menu, it starts and works fine, however if i try to start mozilla mail by typing "mozilla -mail", i get  
quote:
The file /content/messenger.xul cannot be found. Please check the location and try again <OK>

Any idea why?
i suppose the obvious solution would be to touch and chmod 777 the relevant file, but i'd rather know what's going on to be honest.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2003, 17:14 »
Is the messenger.xul file inside your Profile dir under the Mozilla one? Can you start it as root via the shell you're using (bash, tcsh etc)? And lastly, did you recently upgrade your previous version of Mozilla?  

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2003, 21:13 »
i think i found the problem.
if i am running mozilla firebird, and i try to run mozilla, it simply starts a new instance of firebird. i think this happens with beonex and netscape too, but oddly not with galeon (ie whichever one is running, you just get more windows if you try to run another one). This might have something to do with the whole run-mozilla.sh business.

anyway, i can't open mozilla -mail while firebird is running since firebird has no mail client (since the relevant mail client is the standalone thunderbird program, not currently installed).
Thanks again for the prompt reply though.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2003, 01:37 »
No problem Calum.    Do Firebird and Mozilla share the same profile btw, because this is a no-no with those two together  

Commander

• Kudos: 52
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2003, 21:12 »
it's not only that running mozilla launches a new instence of firebird when firebird is running(and vice versa)  but running konqueror would launch a new instence of firebird as well if firebird is already running.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Mozilla Mail (on RH9)
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2003, 13:32 »
yes. this is an issue of confusion between certain browsers based on some of the same code.

however if you use beonex (based on moz1.21) you can run beonex browser and mozilla -mail no bother, or you can run mozilla and beonex -mail no problem. however i am now finding that a more modular approach to email clients is better overall, and to anyone else having this problem i recommend using either sylpheed or thunderbird as your mail client. thunderbird is from mozilla.org and is designed to 'play nice' with firebird. personally i think sylpheed is a little nicer to use, but this could change as thunderbird matures.

i tried out a few mail clients and wrote a quick review of them to make it a bit more worthwhile.