Author Topic: F*ck Internet Explorer USE Firefox  (Read 2403 times)

A_Nonny_Moose

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/john.winterton
F*ck Internet Explorer USE Firefox
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2005, 21:45 »
In the last Firefox Beta, I had some crashes.  With the official 1.0 release, these problems disappeared.  I use Firefox almost exclusively now, but still have to use IE for some sites because of upload/download stuff that requires an ActiveX component.

I am having an occasional posting problem with one site in Firefox.  They are looking at it.

-----------------------------------------------
People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.  This is especially true in operating systems.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2005, 01:25 »
I'm willing to bet that a good number of those "MSIE-exclusive" sites only check User-Agent strings.  Get the Firesomething extension and you can change that at will, though it's also configurable through about:config.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

JanusChrist

• Kudos: 15
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2005, 12:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by A_Nonny_Moose:

I am having an occasional posting problem with one site in Firefox.  They are looking at it.

Does it use a vBulletin? I'm having some problems with a site when I use FF and its becuz they're using an outdated version of vBulletin.

My brother has a website and its looks terrible with FF. It's becuz he wrote it with M$ Word. Other than that, Firefox kicks the living shit out of IE.

Opera, Firefox, Netscape...who gives a damn? Anything is better than IE.
On your way out of Microsoft Land feel free to smash a few Windows.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2005, 03:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by JanusChrist:

Does it use a vBulletin? I'm having some problems with a site when I use FF and its becuz they're using an outdated version of vBulletin.

This appears to be an issue where older vBulletin systems misread the version of Firefox 1.0 as Netscape and/or Mozilla 1.0, don't ask me why.

quote:

My brother has a website and its looks terrible with FF. It's becuz he wrote it with M$ Word. Other than that, Firefox kicks the living shit out of IE.

I've proven this in school labs that only run MS software: Word "sites" even look like shit in Messy.  It has something to do with the fact that Office doesn't like Mosaic (oops, I mean MSIE, I get rehashes confused like that sometimes) and vice-versa.

quote:

Opera, Firefox, Netscape...who gives a damn? Anything is better than IE.

I do, but I have to agree with you there.  

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

JanusChrist

« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2005, 01:13 »
By the way, only retards use Internet Explorer.

Giorgi

• Kudos: 58
« Reply #20 on: 1 February 2005, 21:46 »
I have a stupid question here guys, wot if i use Avant Browser (based on IE) am i a moron?   :D
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #21 on: 1 February 2005, 21:51 »
Quote from: Giorgi
I have a stupid question here guys, wot if i use Avant Browser (based on IE) am i a moron?   :D

I'm sorry, but I'd have to say yes. Avant is still IE.

I recommend Opera for you since Avant is a rip-off off Opera.

Giorgi

« Reply #22 on: 1 February 2005, 22:09 »
Well, i dont know why people say that opera makes web pages open faster - on my pc its the contrary, it slows down like hell (and please don't say that it works bad becos im a moron)  :D
BTW I can't use firefox because it crashes my pc all the time * :confused: *
I liked Maxthon too but its a based on IE so.. :(
Do u have some alternatives?
« Last Edit: 1 February 2005, 22:11 by Giorgi »
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #23 on: 1 February 2005, 22:19 »
Well, i dont know why people say that opera makes web pages open faster - on my pc its the contrary, it slows down like hell (and please don't say that it works bad becos im a moron)  :D
I liked Maxthon too but its a based on IE so.. :(
Do u have some alternatives?

I've found that Opera works very well and fast, even on old computers.
Oh well, I guess you could try K-Meleon.

JanusChrist

« Reply #24 on: 1 February 2005, 22:19 »

Did you download Firefox before or after November 9th, 2004? That's when version 1.0 came out. I've heard that people had trouble with FF pre-1.0

Sounds to me like something is REALLY screwed up on your computer. What kind  of spyware scanners and antivirus suites are you using?

MrX

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #25 on: 1 February 2005, 22:36 »
take ur computer, and deep fry it. now it will work real good and fast.

Giorgi

« Reply #26 on: 1 February 2005, 22:56 »
Well, if u look at the forums index u will see my thread about FDisk. Right now i'm trying to save some of my most important files and than make a total format.
About my current programs:
Right now i have Kaspersky Pro 5 + Microsoft Anti-Spyware (OK, no need to call me a moron)  :rolleyes: but since i was experimenting with all kind of antiviruses these days my system must be totally screwed up because of install/uninstalls.
About Firefox:
Downloaded it long time a go when it was in beta (or something) i'm not really sure about that...

K-Meleon:
Liked it much, it's simple, fast, no additional annoying toolbars (OPERA!!)

Thnx
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #27 on: 1 February 2005, 23:05 »
Right now i have Kaspersky Pro 5 + Microsoft Anti-Spyware (OK, no need to call me a moron)  :rolleyes: but since i was experimenting with all kind of antiviruses these days my system must be totally screwed up because of install/uninstalls.
About Firefox:
Downloaded it long time a go when it was in beta (or something) i'm not really sure about that...

K-Meleon:
Liked it much, it's simple, fast, no additional annoying toolbars (OPERA!!)

Thnx

Microsoft Anti-Spyware :D I bet it won't pick up the standard built-in Alexa toolbar or all the bad stuff that comes with Windows Media Player 10.

Ok, either: get Linux for a real stable system, or stick to Windows (unstable, never knowing what to expect, etc.) with these:
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D (make sure you use the imunize option here)

I used Spybot S&D for a Ghost image that is now deployed more than 500 computers accross my town.
And, spyware complaints have dropped. All you got to do is turn on the Immunize function.
Generally, not using Internet Explorer and setting your hosts helps too.

But you know what? No matter what you do, Windows will get unstable and fall eventually. You need to reinstall it at least once a half year.
Security on Windows is also really bad. Too much Windows exploits are known to crackers today that are yet to be fixed.

Giorgi

« Reply #28 on: 1 February 2005, 23:31 »
Haha "U will need to reinstall at least once every 6 months"

..Good old days when i had WinME i was reinstalling it every week, so that's no problem for me :)  (for me ... but using ur pc in those conditions is horrible believe me :D)
Word is Born
Fight the war
F*ck the Norm!

JanusChrist

« Reply #29 on: 2 February 2005, 00:22 »
+1 for both AdAware and Spybot.

I also suggest Bazooka adware scanner, its a small program that literally takes 5 seconds to do a scan but it found 2 objects on my computer that Adware, Spybot, Norton, AVG and RegSeeker all missed.

Antivirus suites will find some of the same bugs that adware scanners will find. I suggest AntiVir. It works REALLY well with AdAware, AntiVir guard will find objects while AdAware is running a scan.

Both AntiVir and Bazooka are availible for free from http://www.download.com

I say this without bias, the SINGLE BEST thing you can do to prevent adware and spyware and other bugs is to NOT use Internet Explorer and use a different web browser. I suggest Firefox 1.0 but if you have to use IE, go into Options and disable ActiveX controls. That should keep your ad bugs a little less numerous.