Author Topic: Looking for URLs  (Read 1546 times)

Commander

• Kudos: 52
Looking for URLs
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2004, 03:49 »
>>Ask him about it.
good luck getting him to change it.  most of these bastards will never do it.  they setup these confort zones for themselves so they have to do the least amount of work and the rest of us can go fuck ourselves and die for all they care.
i fucking hate these MS loving fuckers who wont even look another way.  I say screw their asses with a chain saw.

sorry, i know this doesnt help your cause, but i had a runin with one of them yesterday and i am still pissed about it.  so i know what you are going through.  and i wish you luck.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

jcooper

• Kudos: 0
Looking for URLs
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2004, 21:07 »
Look, I hate M$ ass much as the next guy.  (Although, if the world were run on Mac's and LInuz boxes I'd probably be installing drywall right now...)

But as a real-life sysadmin, I really get perturbed at this concept businesses and schools and other institutions that own computer hardware and provide it to users for educational / work related purposes are Nazi's if they insist that you keep you hacker mitts out of their systems.

Admittedly, most don't, but when I oversee the design a computer workstation image, I make sure that every nook and cranny of that image is tested.  If there are problems, they get fixed.  My users don't experience blue screens and phantom lock ups.  Before we invested in the technology that sends a notice when new applications are installed, my help desk calls for software problems were 99% related to some jackass that wanted to install WordPerfect 6.1 or burned X-Agent gaming onto a CD and tried to install it.  The users that had lockups were ALWAYS related to some downloaded or imported application.

HELLO, PEOPLE!  The computer you are using doesn't belong to you, it belongs to your employer/school and is provided as a tool, not a playground or vir0tual break room.  The reason they don't want you installing shit on their machines is that there is a CO$T associated with every bit of network traffic, every byte of disk space, and every cycle of processing power.  Not the least cost of which is the salary YOU are getting paid to download Virtual Warrior or the Sexy Playmates screensaver.  

If you want a computer at school or work you can do whatever you want with, buy a laptop.  If your network isn't accessible to laptops, get a cellular modem.  You don't just have an unlimited right to do whatever you want with every computer you touch just because you know how to.  

Please, if you loaned a friend a car and he brought it back to you having put a low-rider package on it with hydraulic shocks and neon running lights, would you be pleased?  If your neighbor came over to use your computer and fdisk-ed you hard drive installed Windows 95 'cause he didn't know how to use Linux, how happy would you be?

Unfortunately, installing one lousy application can really screw things up on a system.  That's the function of a poorly design OS; you never know what application won't work correctly once you've installed the Yahoo! toolbar or allowed that PayWare application to install BonzaiBuddy.  

My images ALWAYS include TWO browsers (IE and another, usually Firefox or Mozilla), two Media Players (WMP and Real, maybe WINAMP), and EVERY application you might conceivably need to do your job.  

If you need an application to get the job done, to finish a paper, or complete the days work, your system should be designed to allow for the testing and integration of that product.  Rather that trying to figure out a way to fly 'under the radar', DO YOUR FUCKING JOB.  If you need additional software, go through the proper channels to get it.

And remember, even if YOU can be trusted, if YOU are sure that the application YOU want will be OK, or you don't need them to support you at all, what about that moron in the cube next to yours?  If you were supposed to be able to install whatever you want, you'd be in the IT Department wouldn't you?

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Looking for URLs
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2004, 05:12 »
If I had the time, I'd lay into this with a sledgehammer, but I have neither the time nor requisite energy to respond to all the inherent flaws you just provided.  Now I don't mean to start a flamewar in here, besides you're the one that seems to think that the Internet is something less-than-free (considering the amount of malware available for Windows versus the amount available for, say, Solaris), but maybe I missed something - there's a breakdown in corporate communication somewhere when the sysadmin is solely responsible to his boss, and his boss - failing to listen to the concerns voiced by the employees - makes sweeping decisions that ultimately please nobody.  Please stop reading BOfH, it's gone straight to your head; not everyone that works in IT is a genius (as you may have experienced), and not everyone that works elsewhere is as complete an idiot as you believe them to be.  When a company fails to be an employee-based democracy, and becomes a dictatorship, that is the first step to its downfall, and you might be better off seeking a job at Sun or Ubisoft.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals