Author Topic: How to truly clear AutoComplete in forms????  (Read 1753 times)

tiredplanet

• Kudos: 0
How to truly clear AutoComplete in forms????
« on: 7 January 2002, 08:13 »
In Tools->Internet Options->Content, they give you a button to clear the AutoComplete junk in your forms.  Predictable, it doesn't really work.  Does anybody know where this cache is and how to clear it?

TIA.  :D

Louis D

« Reply #1 on: 7 January 2002, 21:52 »
I'm not exactly sure where it is, but I know it must be burried somewhere in the system registry.  If you read the article by the Riddler about the really hidden files, it explains where to find your typed urls in the system registry.  I may be wrong but I would suspect that the other things you are looking for relating to autocomplete wouldn't be too far away.
Una donna barbuda sempre `e un piace.

bubaslubas

• http://www.colectivopeel.org
« Reply #2 on: 8 January 2002, 08:30 »
Get XP Customizer, it does all that and a lot more.

Also get PurgeIE to clean up those dreaded index.dat files, cookies and IE history.

Get XP-Anti Spy in order to be able to control information-keeping by XP.
I want the new iMac!

TruBSD

« Reply #3 on: 8 January 2002, 22:10 »
Here's how you clear autocomplete: at a command prompt type:
Format C:

Enjoy!
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands?

I chew my food, but why is it i can only see the corn and peanuts?

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #4 on: 1 February 2002, 06:50 »
get tweak ui, i know microsoft says they make it, but someone else made, then microsoft officially licensed it for them, i think you can figure out what happened next.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 1 February 2002, 14:14 »
DON'T GET TWEAKUI!!!
It fucks everything up.
honest.
It will install 3 seperate 'always on' background programs to slow down yr computer, then half the changes you make with it wpn't work. And if you have any other programs for customizing Windows (such as System Mechanic) then the two programs will fight tooth and nail with each other and you will be heading for a complete system reinstall, very soon.
This in mind, are you sure M$ aren't responsible for Powertoys/TweakUI?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: 1 February 2002, 17:18 »
What difference does it make if you're running windows you're always heading for a fresh install...   :confused:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #7 on: 1 February 2002, 22:38 »
quote:
DON'T GET TWEAKUI!!!

Definitely don't do that. Try litestep instead http://www.litestep.com Install that and noone will know you're running Winders    ;)  

Another alternative (if you have a nice fat pipe) is Cygwin. This is made by Red Hat, and will turn Winders into a counterfeit Linux. A good way to get used to it before installing the real thing      

You can also install *NIX apps for Winders. See http://www.vim.org to find out where to get the Winders version. It looks and works *exactly* the same as it does in Linux, right down to those handy "tear-off" menus. You'll also need WinZip, or, if you don't have it (or are unwilling to install all the rest of that M$ Office crap to get it) see: ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/archiving/zip for a freeware app that can unload Zip archives. It's a command line app that must be run from an "xterm" (so to speak). It won't work if you F8 to the command line for some reason. The install is easy: simply create a C:\Vim directory, download the archives to that directory, unload, and run the install program NBD. Beats the HELL out of Notepad      

You can also go to ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu and download EMACS. This requires getting about a dozen files (makes it easy to download over a POTS connection). These can be stored in an Emacs directory. Once again, simply unload these. Then create a link in the Winders Start menu to runemacs.exe. There's even a nice collection of desktop icons to choose from. (My favorite is the GNU gnu. Considering how His Gatesness feels about Open Source, there's a delicious irony in placing that icon on a Winders desktop!          :D      :D      :D      :D   ) Looks and works just like it does in *NIX.

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 4 February 2002, 20:44 »
So how does that all fit together for an enduser? You say the thing looks just like Linux, and handles like it? And you can get an emulator t run some linux apps? does this mean that when it looks like linux it still only runs windows programs? i am confused :-?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #9 on: 4 February 2002, 22:05 »
Cygwin will give you Xwindows (if you install XFree with it) and bash and the compiler etc, however, it is in no way as good as running Linux natively. It's like Linux apps with the stability and speed of Windows.  We all know Windows has neither speed nor reliability.  It's ok if you absolutely must have Windows as a base and give you the scripting power of *NIX because Win* doesn't include that power.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #10 on: 5 February 2002, 01:29 »
quote:
So how does that all fit together for an enduser? You say the thing looks just like Linux, and handles like it?

I said it gives you a COUNTERFEIT Linux. Windows looks the way it does due to a program called "Explorer.exe". DOS works like it does due to "command.com". Change these, and you change the look and feel. (If His Gatesness open sourced "Explorer", you could give any *NIX rig that Winders look and feel  :eek:  ) This is what Litestep and Cygwin basically do. They change the look and feel, however, it's still the same kernel running behind the scenes. It doesn't alter the fundamental nature of the beast one bit. Run Cygwin on Win ME, and you're still going to get the memory leaks, the lock-ups, and the crashes. The only difference is that now everyone will think you got one fucked-up distro.  ;)

As for Vim and EMACS for Winders, these *do* work just like their Linux counterparts. Of course this is due to their not attaching themselves tightly to the OS. The install involves little more than loading files and linking into the apps' start programs. These don't do anything with the registry. Of course, there is a price to pay. On a *NIX rig, EMACS takes up some 18MB; the Winders version weighs in at some 60MB.  :(  All that extra code is necessary to get it to work right. It's worth it to install these *NIX apps as the native Winders apps were designed to the lowest common denominator. Sure, any idiot could use Notepad, however, try writing code with it.    *No* syntax highlighting, *no* autoindent, *no* history list, *no* split screen so you can refer to your source and headers, and you're *stuck* with that ugly-ass fixedSys font.  :mad:  These Winders apps are fine if all you want to do is dash off a letter to Mom, but for serious work, it *SUX*.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #11 on: 5 February 2002, 05:52 »
windows is trying to reject litestep out of its system.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 6 February 2002, 00:08 »
OK, thanks for the info, downloading now. My sitch is such that i am stuck with winME specific laptop. now i can get the 'feel' you mention of another OS, and i'll be away as soon as i build my 1st desktop machine, and install linux on it, as it's only os...
downloading now!

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 7 February 2002, 16:58 »
well that was a big waste of time, litestep can't handle directory names with a space in them! which means "Program Files" is out of the question!
I spent 10 mins figuring out how to uninstall that fucker without having explorer running! (you can't from DOS apparently) So, it's gone, explorer is back, litestep has fucked up windows to the point where my cdrw no longer works   :mad:  
<sigh> time for another install, after what? about 2 weeks? my solution to this problem is outlined in "Format/Partition" somewhere in the "All Things Microsoft" section. I should have known windows couldn't run any other shell, when it can't even get the hang of its own.   :(
[edited by Calum due to unusual use of the word 'hack']

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Calum ]

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2002, 15:14 »
Gee. that's amazing that it didn't work. Mine turned off on command. No questions asked. Must just be u. Or maybe I'm just blessed.