Author Topic: Frontpage Pages.  (Read 1791 times)

TheKnifeThrower

• Kudos: 0
Frontpage Pages.
« on: 2 March 2003, 22:21 »
Have you ever used this program to creat a website.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #1 on: 3 March 2003, 00:25 »
It is shit.

3 words, so true.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #2 on: 3 March 2003, 02:33 »
I did when I first started to use PC's. I've actually spend hours removing "<mstheme>" tags and other useless shit that FrontPage puts in your source code.

sgtscott

• http://N/A
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #3 on: 3 March 2003, 02:45 »
It does suck

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #4 on: 3 March 2003, 03:26 »
Then I switched to Dreamweaver, which sucked less, but was still not fast enough to build a website.

Now, I use Vi IMproved and CSS style-sheads. It's faster than any WYSIWYG (example: FrontPage, Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup, etc.) program.

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: Refalm ]

ForceSphere

Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #5 on: 3 March 2003, 04:58 »
Oh god please dont bring back the horrible memories.  I was FORCED to use this proggie at school, just like no more than a week ago!  Thank god they put me back on the Mac, which i'm quite ignorant with  

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #6 on: 3 March 2003, 05:11 »
Two words: IT SUCKS! Nothing more, nothing less.    :D  

EDIT: If you want to use a decent WYSIWYG editor, use Mozilla composer and later work on the code in Vim or any other decent text editor. I use Mozilla on the Mac and BBEdit and Vim on Linux.   ;)

[ March 02, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

sgtscott

• http://N/A
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #7 on: 3 March 2003, 06:23 »
I have never heard anything good about it.

devlkore

• http://www.sparktasty.tk/
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2003, 00:55 »
Hey, I hand code everything, but I use Dreamweaver, with the code window exclusively, and code formatting options turned off. I find it to be helluva fast, and also, because I can use Dreamweaver to input values and sometimes predict what tags I'm gonna type, it does speed me up. As I said though, I still hand code STufF, I hate WYSIWYG STufF and NEVER use that aspect of Dreamweaver, EVER!

LA!

Check out my (year old) website www.sparktasty.tk
sono sain wa nihongo desu

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2003, 04:29 »
My friend was helping work on my website once, and he used the motherfucking program! When I was stupid, I auccaculy wanted that thing, because it had premade interactave features. (by the way I don't understand how the fuck the guestbook works, because it somehow displays the entreys in a .html document). Anyway, once, when I checked it out, when he didn't edit ANYTHING half of the pages' code was gone! It also fucked up when I edited the HTML to the search (.htm) page, and for some reason it fucked up the search engene! don't use this program, It will distroy your site.

NM

Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2003, 04:39 »
Just use emacs/vi/notepad, etc
You'll be able to do better pages in the long run and it will look good on all browsers.
Frontpage designs for IE, which is a major reason why it sucks.

baggab

Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2003, 15:57 »
What's out there for OSS thats WYSIWYG?

I may be stuck using this program for a while.  Don't bother reminding me, I know it sucks.  Its just that I don't have the time to hand code everything now.  I  found some of the comments usefull.  The bottom line is: don't stray off the path to take a piss in the woods, you'll get mugged by the M$ time bandit.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2003, 16:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by baggab:

I may be stuck using this program for a while.  Don't bother reminding me, I know it sucks.  Its just that I don't have the time to hand code everything now.  I  found some of the comments usefull.  The bottom line is: don't stray off the path to take a piss in the woods, you'll get mugged by the M$ time bandit.

You could use Amaya, Quanta or BlueFish but they're not exactly WYSIWYG editors. You could always however use the Composer that comes with Mozilla.  

Faust

Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2003, 16:01 »
quote:

www.mozilla.org

If you download Mozilla from their site you not only get a good browser but also "mozilla composer," a WYSIWIG HTML editor.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

baggab

Frontpage Pages.
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2003, 22:09 »
Thanks for the tip about Mozilla, I've been using it as a web browser for six months now, but I didn't know about composer's WYSIWYG functionality.

I got Mozilla 1.0, for my windows machines, after reading some at www.annoyances.org.  I also found this site along the way.

I was using Netscape 4.73 for a long time.  Then I had a bad experience with Netscape 6.0 bloatware.  I tried Opera, but I didn't like the banner.

I could go on and on about the reasons for why I didn't investigate composer: Outlook 2000 and a PDA figure in there somewhere.

I just have to admit it: mugged by the M$ time bandit again!!!