Author Topic: DAMN NON-MS APPLICATIONS!!  (Read 5882 times)

spinningheel4242

• Kudos: 0
DAMN NON-MS APPLICATIONS!!
« Reply #75 on: 24 November 2002, 11:11 »
Okay, I have finally come to a point where I don't care about the evil empire etc.

I am giving up Linux for the time being.  Not only did I screw my last partition disk...having to reformat and do some serious disk repairs...I also lost a tonne of data.  All in the name of promoting Linux.  Well, no more.  My quest is over and that is that.  I am tired of having to repair the problems related to Linux installs etc.  

For now, I will stay with Windoze 98...at least until there is a viable alternative...

Oh ya, everyone responding to my original question offered good ideas/suggestions but in reality...nothing holds a candle to MS.  I am sorry, I tried but enough is enough.  All I could us Linux for in web surfing/limited email/limited wordprocessing.

If I need web browsing in MS, I use Mozilla.  I use Outlook Express because it is integrated with hotmail.  I use MS Word/Wordperfect because other suites can't compare.

In a word, Linux is not ready for the average consumer...I regard myself as being more educated that the average consumer with pretty good computer skills and I still couldn't get Linux to either work right or do what I wanted...

So, in the end, and in parting...my quest has come to a temporary end...

I hope others carry the torch and continue the fight...and if a "perfect" linux distro comes to being...I will be first in line to take it up...

Later

Spin

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #76 on: 24 November 2002, 17:28 »
you regard yourself wrongly.

well done on trying linux, but your 'nothing holds a candle to MS' attitude is exactly why cattle like the 'average user' will always use the shittiest stuff.

good luck the next time your viable alternative crashes on you, and erases your data.

The thing is that when an operating system is completely configurable, there's noone to blame for its failure except yourself, ultimately.

Anyway, you go back to your game of minesweeper and stop wasting my time, hmm?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

emh

« Reply #77 on: 24 November 2002, 23:18 »
Again, you fail to ask for help on anything, and just assumed that there was no way your problems could be fixed.

But saying that "Linux isn't ready for the average user" and "Nothing holds a candle to MS" just because YOU couldn't figure something out or try something that might work a little different, is rather short-sighted, to say the least.

I've only been using Linux for two months, haven't had any of the problems you have had.  This isn't to say everything was perfect, but I stuck with it and in two weeks, I was using Linux 85% of the time.  Now it's about 95% of the time I use it, and the only thing I still use Windows for right now is for my music notation program.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #78 on: 25 November 2002, 02:20 »
The problem with you spinningwheel, is your negative stance towards Linux. You were preoccupied from the beginning about how difficult Linux is to install, configure etc, that you didn't really USE it. You just scraped the surface and never went deeper.

Anyway, it's your choice, so good luck with Windoze   :D

Doctor V

« Reply #79 on: 25 November 2002, 06:36 »
Don't give up yet.  If partitioning is the problem, then its not Linux's fault.  You did backup your data didn't you.  Anytime you change the HD's partitioning, there's a chance its going to wipe the drive.  Thats why people should always backup their data.  Windows can do just the same.  What was it exactly you were trying to do in Linux and couldn't?  Don't give up too quickly now.  Linux is not perfect, but if you can get it running, it is a very stable and capable OS, much better than windows 98.  You're not going to like 98, it crashes alot, etc.

V

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #80 on: 25 November 2002, 06:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Doctor V: Linux Pusher:
Linux is not perfect,

Yes it is.  
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #81 on: 25 November 2002, 06:51 »
The concept behind linux is perfect.

emh

« Reply #82 on: 25 November 2002, 08:30 »
Also, did you defrag your hard drive before trying to resize the partition?

If you want to try again, you can try Knoppix, which you can just run from the CD, and not have to to anything to the hard drive.  Don't know the web site off hand.

Or, you can download a copy of WinLinux, which installs on an existing Windows installation, so you don't have to resize your Windows partition.

http://www.winlinux.net

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #83 on: 7 December 2002, 21:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy(Cracked)Butter:
Who doesn't?   :rolleyes:  

Bill Gates.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #84 on: 7 December 2002, 21:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
Or you could get a Mac and run OSX Jaguare on it.

It will kick the shit out of anything MS can do, and guarantees compatability with M$ file format's etc. It is as powerfull as Linux/*NIX, but easier to use.

Best OS around right now IMHO.

No its not, because its not Linux.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #85 on: 8 December 2002, 22:58 »
Yes it is, because it is osX Jaguar.

spinningheel4242

« Reply #86 on: 12 December 2002, 04:44 »
ok, i have to say, thanks to the "helpful" ones out there.  There are those of you that just like to have a hate-on for non-linux users and then there are those who are really trying to help.  Thanks to the second bunch.  

Ok, I am going to take your suggestions into mind...again.  I will defrag/back-up/and partition my harddrive.....again.  

This time, I am not going to install Redhat/Mandrake/or Lycoris......rather I am going to try Peanut and Debian...

I still have my doubts about linux (rather based on past experiences however traumatic they were)

Anyways, I will commit to this one and see if it is all within all

Doctor V

« Reply #87 on: 12 December 2002, 07:29 »
I don't have all non-Linux users.  I get along with Mac people just fine