Author Topic: MS: Take that you... mod chip  (Read 2628 times)

Wanding Traveler

• Kudos: 0
MS: Take that you... mod chip
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2002, 05:58 »
I heard MS losed a suit in Australia. Now people can make and sell mod chips there. MS is trying to appeal the case an even threat to take the xbox out of Australia.

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #16 on: 13 November 2002, 08:11 »
Even I don't understand this.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but... if you bought the XBOX... you own it... can't you solder whatever you want onto it?  Furthermore where does Microsoft get the right to just shut down companies that sell something on the grounds that it *could* be used to pirate games (when I actually think many people would buy mod chips so they could run linux on the xbox) I guess this is where the DMCA rears its ugly head.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #17 on: 13 November 2002, 21:08 »
XP User, you are really starting to catch on! I have been noticing quite a difference lately (hope I'm not spoiling it). It's another example of Microsoft making you believe you are "buying" something when in fact you are just "renting" it and you have no rights whatsoever when it comes to how you use it.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2002, 11:55 »
THe only thing worth getting for the XBOX is X-Box Linux... It would have never happened if Microsoft had'nt used Intel 86 chips for it.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2002, 12:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ex Eleven / b0b 2.1:
THe only thing worth getting for the XBOX is X-Box Linux... It would have never happened if Microsoft had'nt used Intel 86 chips for it.

Why not? PS2 doesn't have an x86 processor and Linux runs on it. In fact Linux will run on more processors than any other OS that I know of. But maybe I am misunderstanding your post.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 13 November 2002, 13:20 »
Yes, but sony made that... If microsoft used there own CPU or somthing foreign they would do everything to stop the release of the Microprogramming Language. And stop compilers etc.... But because its x86 everythings already there and other things (nVidia's are well supported on Linux).

Its like M$ wanted it to happen!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2002, 18:34 »
well microsoft could not feasibly develop a new chip on its own. it is just not going to happen. maybe IBM could do it, but that would take a lot longer than M$ are prepared to wait, even if they were still in bed with IBM which they're not.

The only other alternative would be to use another manufacturer's chip. So who should they have got in order to make sure linux wouldn't run on it? Motorola? nope, the first linux port was to a motorola chip. Sony? nope, they've got the market upper hand in gaming consoles so they probably wouldn't help in the first place, and as pointed out above linux runs on a sony playstation. Also, i think sony farm out their chips anyway don't they? How about AMD? nope, linux runs on aMD chips. So they choose intel, linux's native environment. Well, who can blame them? it's windows' native environment too and making windows run on a non intel chip (excluding AMD... ) is probably harder than trying to stop linux from running on any chip at all.

Just my thoughts...

Basically there was no way microsoft could make their XBox even slightly linux proof.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: [calum@localhost]$ ]

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism