Author Topic: Xbox fanboys  (Read 3010 times)

mael

• Kudos: 0
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2002, 17:08 »
lol, i couldn't keep this to myself.  While prowling an xbox forum i found this:

quote:
Originally posted by gandalfgrayham
Commercially Linux is a joke. The free applications and open source is a joke, and most of it is crap anyway. Tell me of one good word processor for Linux, just one, that has the ability to simple spell check. You can't.

quote:
There is infinetly more free software for Windows then Linux will ever get.

quote:
Basically, Windows is just as prgramable as Linux. Making both relatively open source.

quote:
Again, this is more BS. Opening up a program and seeing how it work is fully possible with windows apps. Not all, since some are commercial. But there is plenty out there you can easily open and see how it works.

quote:
Again, I just made you look like a dolt. And proved your open source community will make money any chance it can get.

lol, and the granddaddy of them all, get this:

quote:
Originally posted by Superdud
Nintendo has been criticized as being the most "notorious video game company in history." Through their considerable influence in the market during the late 1980s, they were able to control much of the industry using intimidation, scare tactics, and price-fixing. It is interesting to note the events leading up to this domination, and the players involved.

Nintendo, who had been suffering financially since the gaming market crash during the Third Generation, entered the Fourth Generation market with a system that many consider to be inferior to the competing systems of that time. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo's president, instructed his engineers to leave out the frills of the other gaming systems, and include only the essentials to save money. The system would only have 2,000 bytes of RAM as opposed to the Sega Master System, a competing system, which had 64 kilobytes of RAM. Industry standard graphic processors were dropped in favor of cheaper, less functional, non-standard ones. The push to produce this system was intensified by the fact that the Master System, and other competing systems, had all been in the stores for months, and were achieving great success. When the system was ultimately finished, the defect rate would be as high as 30% per shipment which angered many retailers and turned them against Nintendo (eventually damaging many of these retailers when Nintendo attained the popularity that they did.)

After the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) was released, Nintendo pressed for huge media infiltration of their advertisements, which was something not being done by competing systems. The market had been extremely slow in the previous years, and many companies were very cautious. Nintendo, fueled by a marketing drive rarely seen, was able to capture nearly 90% of the U.S. gaming market by 1986. This popularity had dozens of gaming companies at Nintendo's door to produce titles for their system. However, because of Yamauchi's foresight, Nintendo had changed the previous "free-market" set up of the industry with the inclusion of something called a "key-chip" in his NES units.

During the preceding generations, a video game programmer would simply purchase the equipment to construct games for a system from the system's parent company. The programmer was then was free to design any game without permission from the company. Yamauchi did not like this freedom given to the designers. So he had his engineers create a chip that would lock out the instruction code from any cartridge, unless that cartridge contained another chip, called a "key-chip." This "key-chip" had a certain disabling code. The disabling code was then patented by Nintendo and copyrighted. The result was that it became illegal to reproduce the code, without Nintendo's consent. Nintendo then made specific contracts that companies must agree to abide by in order to receive permission to reproduce the "key-chip." This gave Nintendo complete control over its third party licensees, and they used that control to propel the Nintendo Entertainment System farther. Specific deals were made which prevented these companies from producing games for any competing home system. Because of Nintendo's considerable market share, few companies argued with this policy. The result was that many competing systems were driven to extinction because of a severe lack of games. Companies like Atari and Sega could not hope to compete with a system with over 100 new games each year, when they could only produce a dozen or so annually without the help of third party licensees. This propelled Nintendo's domination of the market further.

Nintendo began orchestrating game shortages sometime in 1988. This was called "inventory management" by Peter Main, an executive in charge of public relations at Nintendo, but was really to keep the customers on a short leash. By limiting the amount of product available, Nintendo could keep the demand for the product high. The editor of one toy-industry journal noted that "Nintendo has become a name like Disney or McDonald's. They've done it by doling out games like Godiva chocolates." By design, Nintendo would not fill all of the retailers' orders and kept half or more of its library of games inactive and unavailable. In 1988, for instance, 33 million NES cartridges were sold, but market surveys indicated that upwards of 45 million could have been sold. That year retailers requested 110 million cartridges, almost 2.5 times the indicated demand. These practices would greatly benefit Nintendo, but drive many smaller software firms out of business. Certain titles would be produced, then sold very slowly over the span of a year, and the profits would not come in fast enough to keep these small companies afloat. The toy and electronics as well as department stores became dependent on Nintendo, in addition to most game producers. This gave Nintendo a great deal of clout in dealing with companies who were used to throwing their muscle around. 9, 6

One such company was Child World, at the time, the second largest toy-store chain in the United States. They refused to play by Nintendo's rules, and ended relations with them. By 1989, they were experiencing severe financial difficulties due to the loss of 20% of their sales through video games. They came back to Nintendo, trying to appease them, and were met with open hostility. Nintendo agreed to sell them product again, but they would have to pay for the product a year in advance.

Another Nintendo policy that made retailers furious was their return policy, or lack thereof. Because Nintendo's quality control was boasting a defect rate of 0.9% for hardware and 0.25% for software by 1988, Nintendo executives did not see a need for their previous 90 day guarantee. A new policy was announced to the retailers: no returns. Once a game cartridge box or system box was opened, a refund was out of the question.

Nintendo's next atrocity would be to use the considerable monopoly they had to control the consumer. Because of the game shortages, consumers would be more concerned about getting a particular title than the price. And because of Nintendo's domineering stance with the retailers, they were able to dictate the expected prices for their games.

In the electronics and computer industry, you can expect equipment to reduce in price over time. When new devices are created that make older ones obsolete, the older devices are reduced in price to compete with the newer ones. This is clearly evident if one simply peruses the want-ads in their local paper and notes the prices of computer systems that were considered state of the art a year previous. This logic applies to all aspects of the computer and electronics industry, including video games. Why then between 1985 and 1989 did the Nintendo Entertainment System only lower $10 in its price?

This was exactly what Attorney Generals from all fifty states were wondering when they began investigating the activities of Nintendo of America in 1989. They found that Nintendo had been fixing the price of systems and games in the stores, using intimidation to influence retailers to abide by their wishes, and were making astronomical profits. Nintendo had been doing this since they first brought out the NES in 1985. They had strived to construct the system inexpensively, however, it was being sold at the same price as the competing systems. An antitrust action was brought up against Nintendo by these same Attorney Generals, and on October 17, 1991, District Court Judge Sweet granted approval of settlement agreements.

Nintendo was ordered to reimburse $25 million to consumers who had purchased systems and games between June 1, 1988 and December 31, 1990. This was to be done through coupons that entitled the bearer to an immediate $5.00 reduction in the purchase price of any NES game cartridge. This was to be for every game purchased by the customer. If someone had five games they would be entitled to $25 in coupons. While they were ordered to pay $25 million, they wound up only paying around $1.5 million. The reason for this was because Nintendo convinced the Judge that they needed to be certain of a consumer's truthfulness regarding ownership of the system before they could reimburse them. The Judge agreed, and allowed Nintendo to make their own terms. Nintendo required that the consumer had three things: the dated store receipt, the UPC code from the original box, and the serial number from the back of the unit. Considering that this occurred in 1991, how many customers do you think still had the original UPC code from the box let alone the dated store receipt from 1988? This is why the refund failed, because only around 300,000 people qualified based on Nintendo's guidelines.

The final problem Nintendo would cause before they were humbled by Sega in the early 1990s, would be to hinder the production of 16-bit systems against the consumers' requests.

In 1988, Nintendo said, "We feel that the average game player is not mature enough for a 16-bit system, and that the demand is insufficient for it to be a high priority." They were wrong. In the summer of 1989, the first 16-bit system, called Genesis and produced by Sega, would arrive in the stores. By the next Christmas, they were outselling Nintendo's NES 3 to 1 9 and Nintendo was losing many of their licensees to Sega. This forced Nintendo to reconsider its decision about 16-bit technology, and begin designing one of their own.

Is that enough, or do you want more?

Everything that people claim MS has done, Nintendo has done in the gaming market, and MORE.

Indeed, MS was smart hitting up this market.  They'll grow all sorts of blind fanboys to support their future products.

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: shiggy ]

Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2002, 20:27 »
WOW! I would like everyone to note that this moron's info. on nintendo is a pile of crap. The SMS was not even in the works when Nintendo made the Famicom. The Famicom was a success in Japan and it was not simply a pared down system, it really was the most advanced of it's time (Atari 2600 anyone). Sega came later after Nintendo's success but never quite caught on.

Also the huge conspiracy crap of Nintendo's media infiltration etc. Is also crap. Nintendo was nearly broke and was betting the farm on it's system. Because of the 1984 Video Game crash most stores didn't want to touch a video games system. Remember the robot? That was a ploy to get the stores to sell NES's as Robot Buddys or somecrap.

Anyway, the NES had a very small release, It was just so good that it really caught on. The first year saw it sold out 'cuz there weren't enugh to go around.

He is right on the third party developer issue, and nintendo did get busted for that. But that's not even an issue today with the XShit since the Nintendo case effectivly stoped all videogame makers from the same practices.

The XBox is a load of crap. It's overhyped garbage, something the NES wasn't, because it wasn't even hyped o begin with!

If you wan't some real video game History head over to www.classicgaming.com, they have it all, unlike this dilmonkey.

And as far as a free wordprcessor: AbiWord, StarOffice, OpenOffice, etc. etc. Furthermore he does not seem to have any understanding of File structure, programing, or what open source means. He has no understanding of the kernal architecture in *NIX system, or what sort of Free software is available. This Asshole has an orchestra talking out his ass.

here's another good one:

http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?history/index.htm

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

psyjax

• VIP
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2002, 23:33 »
"Basically, Windows is just as prgramable as Linux. Making both relatively open source."

God I can't get over this line, I came back here to check my post, it's just so ful of ht it's hillarious!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!! Oh my God, it's funny, that's it, I got a new signiature! People don't take it the wrong way  :D .

psyjax

• VIP
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2002, 23:35 »
Hows it look?

mael

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2002, 17:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by psyjax:
Hows it look?

Haha, i love it!!

Oh, heres another one i found.. they're coming out now.. beware!

quote:

Originally posted by XMAN2002

http://forums.legendsalliance.com/viewtopic.php?p=121084#121084

Retard! They don't charge you nor force you for I.E. It is a free service! Dumbass! You can also use netscape or whatever you want, duh! They don't force anything on you. Name one thing that they make you buy? Can't can you dipshit!

Microsoft is (nearly) a monopoly because it is what the people are buying. Obviousely they are doing there stuff better than the other guys. I personally love the quality of everything that I have of theirs because they take the time to make the best, i.e., Best Mouse, gamepad, keyboards, operating system, games,etc.

So the little companies can't keep up! Wah! I don't feel sorry for 'em. Quit putting out crap and people will buy what you got.

What a hoot!

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: shiggy ]

Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

psyjax

• VIP
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #20 on: 31 March 2002, 03:02 »
so sad, so very very sad.

Nintendo fan 1

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2002, 18:08 »
Hey Shiggy, do you post as Nintendo Nation at the Nintensity boards?  Because I have seen both of your Sigs, the all hail Bill Gates in sarcasm one, and the Tellitubby Bill one (my personal favorite :-D).  Dude, if it's you what's up?!  BTW, MS sucks ass, and they deserve to be shut down for robbing the consumer of choice.  Sure, the XBOX is OKAY, but it pales in comparison to the GameCube and the PS2 in terms of great gameplay!
Mwa hahahah, Mr. Gates, you shall die a very painful death!
~Nintendo fan 1

mael

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2002, 11:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo fan 1:
Hey Shiggy, do you post as Nintendo Nation at the Nintensity boards?  Because I have seen both of your Sigs, the all hail Bill Gates in sarcasm one, and the Tellitubby Bill one (my personal favorite :-D).  Dude, if it's you what's up?!  BTW, MS sucks ass, and they deserve to be shut down for robbing the consumer of choice.  Sure, the XBOX is OKAY, but it pales in comparison to the GameCube and the PS2 in terms of great gameplay!

Whoa .. how'd you find me here?!  lol, yup its me, the anti-ms fanboy  ;) .  Looking at current sales in both europe and japan.. i agree.  Microsoft needs to stay in their monopolized world instead of venturing into new markets.. i think they think that everything they do will become great.  You can't bundle xbox in IE mr bill gates!
Windows [n.]

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2002, 19:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by shiggy:

What a hoot!

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: shiggy ]

lol, this is good stuff.

Hey, maybe this is ever worse!

Here in lil' ol' holland, they want to start putting exams on computers.
So in about 2003, they want 50% of all students in holland have a go at their exams on a computer.
I'll bet my ass that there will be a M$ OS on each of those darn computers. I'm also sure they'll be running windoze xpee.

I assume you understand my statement. If your windows computer crashes (have for an example the guy who recently posted here because his XP simply crashed after a short period of use)
while doing, or worse, after you finished your exam, you are in the deepest of shite.

But still, Bill got his $$$ on licences ....
Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

mael

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2002, 21:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=f00bar=-:

lol, this is good stuff.

Hey, maybe this is ever worse!

Here in lil' ol' holland, they want to start putting exams on computers.
So in about 2003, they want 50% of all students in holland have a go at their exams on a computer.
I'll bet my ass that there will be a M$ OS on each of those darn computers. I'm also sure they'll be running windoze xpee.

I assume you understand my statement. If your windows computer crashes (have for an example the guy who recently posted here because his XP simply crashed after a short period of use)
while doing, or worse, after you finished your exam, you are in the deepest of shite.

But still, Bill got his $$$ on licences ....

Well, it looks like countrys are starting to reject microsofts new license schemes.. one can only hope that others will follow...

I feel for you though.  My wife has to use microsoft products at school and then at home.  I built another computer and installed winblows 98 on it for her because i refused to dual boot with it.
Windows [n.]

foobar

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #25 on: 17 April 2002, 22:38 »
Reject ?
I think you got me wrong, my friend.
They're doing exactly what macroshaft wants.
I'm sure that in a year or two, our school will have to upgrade all of their computers, and M$ will only gain money...

The webmaster of our school is a good friend o' mine, and he says they have win98 on their PC's because of macroshaft's monopoly, because everybody knows nothing but windows, windows, windows. That's nice, but incredibly expensive. 'cuz they have about 200+ computers there, and, even if they had just one pc running some
M$ crap, they'd have to pay for the rest of the 199 too, as if all had M$ crap.

nuff said ...
Linux user #283039

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2002, 23:39 »
i am no old fart. (my high school years were 1989 to 1995) but my gob has rarely been this smacked! there is NO way that a vfat/msdos based system is anywhere near the standard required to run an exam on.
A pen and paper will rarely fail on you, and even if they do, it is minor to replace them, not to mention cheaper.

Imagine a roomful of 120 exam doing students. they ALL have to know how to use the software in addition to doing the exam, plus out of 120, say over 3 1/2 hours, how many are going to crash? running windows we assume. At least one or two, average that out over a few thousand students and it's unworkable! and they will never get a failsafe licence from Microsoft.

I would honestly refuse to do an exam on a computer, and due to the distraction factor, to do an exam in a room where a computer was running.

Even if they were all in favour of exams on computers, they would be mad not to follow all the evidence of computing history since the sixties and run it on a unix network, with terminals all linked to the same system, so that the students' efforts can be logged (backed up) as they work. Also with this model, the individual terminals can never crash.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #27 on: 18 April 2002, 12:20 »
But ext3 wont fail you, but i agree, the idea of a paperless office is absolute bullshit. And im only 14 so im no old fart either.

foobar

Xbox fanboys
« Reply #28 on: 18 April 2002, 22:23 »
Yep Calum, but it's the cold truth.

I heard of the news yesterday, us was told that there were absolute serious plans of making those exams on computers.
In fact, they had already finished some kind of beta version and are testing it as we speak.
Like i said before, i'll bet my ass there'll be windows running on each one of those pc's, and just think about how unstable those pc's will be, most likely 'cuz they're running XP.
I see this as a threat to me, because the microsoft monopoly wasn't only in your school, but now it's going to knock down paper. I think that is total bullshit. I'd rather do 500 paper exams than 1 exam on an xpee computer.
Linux user #283039

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Xbox fanboys
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2002, 01:10 »
you won't have to.

it will not become compulsory for a very long time, and by that time computers will have advanced so far that M$ will no longer exist.

Remember if they don't give you the choice between a pen and a Microsoft machine, then it's a bloody dictatorship.

I don't seriously think they will force you to use windows for an exam so don't lose any sleep over it, i reckon!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism