Author Topic: I'm sorry to say this, but  (Read 4874 times)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
I'm sorry to say this, but
« Reply #45 on: 3 February 2002, 21:05 »
how much does a decent AMD processor cost?
compared to a Intel?  :confused:
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #46 on: 6 February 2002, 15:27 »
Druaga, here is a link, which may tell you roughly the difference, although i think there is a thread about this elsewhere. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.redhill.net.au/hw-cpu-test-cost.html
Lots of comparison tables and graphs there.

or maybe try:
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/0-3339098-301-0-0.html?tag=st.co.1016.dir.shopping-3339098
which has a few cpus and their spec and prices. Don't forget though that intel take a higher clock speed to do the same job, due to a more efficient floating point calculation rate (or so i am led to believe although i haven't really got a clue!) find out the rough sketch at:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-504012.html?legacy=zdnn
Hope that is helpful, other than that, you might have to trawl through the hardware/shopping sites to get what you want, good luck...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Doctor V

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #47 on: 7 February 2002, 12:12 »
Somthing about X-box.

Microsoft loses hundreds of dollars for every sale.  The specs for X-box are much higher than that of Nintendo Gamecube, and PS2.  M$ dosn't mind losing the money, they can easily afford it with their OS monopoly, they just want to take over the market.  After that they will raise the prices for these systems to unimaginable levels (look how much XP costs now that M$ is a monopoly).  Stay away from X-box, the entire vidoe game industry is at steak.

V

R3D_DR4G0N

• http://www.rd-d.tk
« Reply #48 on: 21 February 2002, 06:59 »
Well the Xbox has great graphics becuz of the Geforce3...  Besides that it'll be a piece of SHIT!  Trust me.  

Xbox: 700mhz PIII
PS2: 300mhz unknown proc to me anyways
Gamecube: I dunno

I rather play PS2 then XBOX.  Besides I like the games for PS2 more than XBOX.  Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is great.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.  To steal ideas from many, IT'S RESEARCH.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #49 on: 21 February 2002, 07:37 »
Let's remember boys and girls to a time far far away. When saying 8-bits of power really blew people away.

Remember that the NES was an incredibly underpowerd system, not much more powerfull than an Apple IIe. Yet when the SMS came out with its larger color palett and faster processor (it was almost a 16-bit unit) did it make a dent? No. Why? Because the NES had games that rocked, it rocked so hard infact that even when the Genisis came out the NES stayed the top system for about 3 more years (that being when the SNES came out and the Genisis and SNES were kind of head to head for a while with Nintendo ultimately winning).

So, let's recap. Are you a sucker who buys stuff cuz the cover looks all candy coated, and it's loud, and it's "cool"? Or are you actually geting a GAME system whose GAMES are FUN!?

I like to think of the X-Box like one of those huge Ford-pickups and the other systems like a well built Mercedes.  The X-Box is big, expensive, flashy, takes up to much space, you don't need something that big or powefull (i.e. excessive) is not efficient, and handles like a brick.

the other systems are sleek, well designed, and deliver what they promiss for years to come.

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #50 on: 21 February 2002, 08:10 »
Well the X-Crocks needs that extra power to turn that crank on Win2k and to gather all of your personal info and gaming/tv habits for teleporting back to Microsoft.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Oni Link

« Reply #51 on: 21 February 2002, 15:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
The XBox Rocks compared to the Jap Consoles

Especially the Controller.
It Feels like you actually holding something other than cheap plastic. Yaaaa!!!!

OHH my lord!!!
Who is this guy??
As I have said before and Ill say it again, the XBox controller resembles a dinner plate with two fat sausages as handles, it is pathetic!

The GameCube absolutely shits all over that oversized black briefcase with the green X on it.

What is the go with all these Microsoft supporters hanging around anyway, fuck off to your inferior Operating systems!

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Oni Link ]

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #52 on: 24 February 2002, 21:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates:
i know it does not run any version of winblows
1) It boots way too fast
2) It has all sorts of copy protection for the software and it does not say once anything about Winblows.
3) It never crashes.

The only bad thing about it so far is the processor (Intel Sucks - They are so slow). Microsoft probably could have made a profit if they put an Athlon 1GHz. And it would be faster too

If MS would've used an Athlon processor I'm sure that there would've been alot of customer complaints about how the X-Box runs too hot. People don't buy consoles to use as a space heater you know.  ;)

Bateluer

« Reply #53 on: 26 February 2002, 07:01 »
I'd just like to state, without reading this entire thread, that hardly anything in the Xbox is made in America. MS bought the parts from other companies. The CPU is a Mobile Celeron from Intel, which could be made in any number of countries, the 5x Toshiba DVD is made in Japan, the 64megs of SHARED DDR is made in Japan or Taiwan, the Castrated GF3 is made in Taiwan.

And its controllers are too big, they give my hand muscle cramps. The rumblers are cheap junk, notice how you can hear them in the next room? Think you can hear the PS2's rumblers? Nope, heck, my bro was sitting right next to me when I was playing FFX and he could not hear the rumblers.

TB

« Reply #54 on: 2 March 2002, 22:09 »
The fact that M$ are losing at least US$75 per console sold makes me laugh at it. But that's what you get when you buy practically all the parts from 3rd party companies. You'd think with M$'s thirst for money they would've done what Sony did with PS and PS2 - build the console completely in-house from the ground up.

The fact is nobody is going to topple Sony from it's high perch in the console market. Just by taking a look at sales figures proves this. In December '01 PS2 sales in USA and Japan DOUBLED compared to the same time the previous year.  And this at a time where XBox and Gamecube were supposedly going to pose a threat to PS2 (i correct myself........Gamecube was NEVER a threat).

It's simply a case of too little too late for M$ and Nintendo. Although it was rather stupid to think that M$ and Nintendo could compete with Sony by releasing consoles inferior to the PS2 more than a year after PS2's release.

mael

« Reply #55 on: 7 March 2002, 02:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by TB:
The fact that M$ are losing at least US$75 per console sold makes me laugh at it. But that's what you get when you buy practically all the parts from 3rd party companies. You'd think with M$'s thirst for money they would've done what Sony did with PS and PS2 - build the console completely in-house from the ground up.

The fact is nobody is going to topple Sony from it's high perch in the console market. Just by taking a look at sales figures proves this. In December '01 PS2 sales in USA and Japan DOUBLED compared to the same time the previous year.  And this at a time where XBox and Gamecube were supposedly going to pose a threat to PS2 (i correct myself........Gamecube was NEVER a threat).

It's simply a case of too little too late for M$ and Nintendo. Although it was rather stupid to think that M$ and Nintendo could compete with Sony by releasing consoles inferior to the PS2 more than a year after PS2's release.

I dont believe nintendo is bent on being #1. While i know ps2 will squash the Xbox, the nintendo is doing its own thing.  The gamecube isn't an inferior machine, its built to do what they want it to do, and priced reasonably.  Anyone that thinks nintendo will simply be destroyed needs to rethink history, and check out all the games nintendo has unleashed.

Me myself, i'd buy a gamecube just for nintendo's games, ps2 for third party.  Sony will never make games that will match nintendo's, but their machine will pick up 3rd parties, no doubt about that.

Leave the bashing to the xbox .. the gamecube will do just fine, the ps2 will undoubtabley rein as king.

And all peace will be restored to the troll community known as video game land   .
Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

ash

• http://www.colonelteddy.cjb.net
« Reply #56 on: 8 March 2002, 07:40 »
I'm not sure, maybe I'm on crack here (either tha or somebody else is)
But as yet there are NO pirated Xbox games, roms or whatever, or even a working emulator.

Much as I hate M$, they have put a lot of thought into how they will stop people ripping them off. They have to, if they really are running at a loss on the consoles. (Ever heard of giving away the razor and selling the blades?)
There is a hell of a lot of copy protection and whatever else in this system, and also, as far as I am aware, the game DVDs are designed to spin backwards, making it VERY hard to read in your PC DVD drive.

The Xbox will do well, because M$ are good at making people buy expensive things they dont really need/want, and the majority of people dont know any better. The Gamecube may have some much more enjoyable games, but for some people that doesnt matter. My money at the moment is on the PS2, because it already has a strong following, and a decent games list

(this is of course coming from someone who hasnt bought a console since the saturn)
Twenty dollars? Oh, I wanted a peanut.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #57 on: 8 March 2002, 14:51 »
quote:
You'd think with M$'s thirst for money they would've done what Sony did with PS and PS2 - build the console completely in-house from the ground up.

Ho Ho Ho!  :D  

Microsoft even farm out the design and manufacture of their (so called) Microsoft mice, do you think they are able to come up with a scratch built game-optimised hardware/software combo?

And it's a shame Nintendo are taking it on the chin. There was a time i would have said that was a good thing (being a sega nut!) but sega made the mistake of releasing too many different consoles at once, then not supporting any of them adequately. They are now software only, and if Nintendo goes the same way, Sony will be another Microsoft.  
Let's face it, they already are. M$ are small fry, in fact, compared with the hideous AOL Time Warner, and Sony, of course M$' business practices and their attitude to product support make them stand out.
(i already have a chip on my shoulder about Sony because they hold patents for the standard audio cassette, the VHS cassette (incl ADAT), DAT cassette, Minidisc, Compact Disc (including CDR, VCD, SVCD, CDROM and CDRW) and DVD. Monopoly Central! They ran every competing audio/visual storage format out of business, eg records (patent held by Edison Corp i think), 8-track (which was a crap format anyway), Betamax (which WAS a far superior format to VHS) and those little digital tape things that weren't DAT (where did they go?) to name but a few. Aren't sony responsible for floppy disks too? or am i making that up?)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #58 on: 8 March 2002, 18:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:

Ho Ho Ho!   :D  

Microsoft even farm out the design and manufacture of their (so called) Microsoft mice, do you think they are able to come up with a scratch built game-optimised hardware/software combo?

And it's a shame Nintendo are taking it on the chin. There was a time i would have said that was a good thing (being a sega nut!) but sega made the mistake of releasing too many different consoles at once, then not supporting any of them adequately. They are now software only, and if Nintendo goes the same way, Sony will be another Microsoft.  

SEGA made the mistakes of releasing the wrong consoles (somehow the saturn springs to mind) for a wrong price, or releasing the right console but without any marketing behind it (not once did I see a dreamcast advertisment on dutch television)

The big difference here between nintendo and sega is that nintendo is one big marketing machine (they don't do hype, they do phenomena (mario, zelda or pokemon anyone?)) and has the cash reserve to design non profitable consoles for the next few generations (while the N64 was losing money bigtime, nintendo was still raking it in because of the gameboy/gameboy color/pokemon, now even if the gamecube is a financial disaster, guess how much money big N earns with the gameboy advance (takes a look at the GBA lying next to him   ))

and consider that SEGA never really was a console company, the arcade has allways been their turf (a place nintendo is hardly seen, unless it's a team up between them and rare (which means rare makes the game and big N supplies the hardware)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #59 on: 8 March 2002, 20:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
And it's a shame Nintendo are taking it on the chin.

Their not really. As someone said earlyer nintendo is doing it's own thing. In japan, it's head to head with the PS2 almost because the largest game market is for younger kids, like 9-12. Do you think they wanna play games that are bloody and violent (ok ok.... do you think they should   ?

Furthermore, nintendo right now, is the manufacturer of the best selling consol of all time. The Gameboy. Do you realize that this machine has been around since 1989, is still a hot seller, and has beat out the Atari 2600 as both the most popular, and longest live consol of all time.

Also, last time I looked the Gamecube was not doing too bad. It's coming lineup of games looks teriffic, and I know I'm getting one. I think most people who buy PS2's will eventualy buy a Gamecube. To me, console gaming would never be the same without the classic nintendo titles and craftsmanship. More than any other game company I think nintendo are the most creative, and sport one of the best team of game designers ever.

As far as Sony is concerned, thir big but not quite predatory like M$.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR