Author Topic: Xbox... just a test?  (Read 2067 times)

icely2000

• Kudos: 0
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2002, 23:19 »
I Think the XBox is a Great game platform, I have seen it in action becuase the Gfx are the best becuase it uses PC Hardware. And of course noone at MS made the XBox they probbaly got it the same way that they get all there other stuff, buying the product from another person. Who knows.

MS is infact trying to make something like the XBox for it Home Entertainment Center. I think thats what they called it I read about it on TechTv or Cnet's news.com.

Also What I read about windows95, I'm very surpises as maybe many of you are that the XBoX doesn't come with A Black Screen of Death. But that could be becuase they got another company or someone out side of MS to make it for them  

Thanks,
William M Gary
MS Fan - Lindows.com (Bring Lunix & Windows To Life!)

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2002, 23:31 »
Uh? your wierd.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2002, 23:51 »
Ps2 kicks any other consoles ass.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2002, 23:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Master of Reality / Bob:
Ps2 kicks any other consoles ass.

Still, Gamecube has the credit for best graphics ever. I have not yet seen something that can best the jawdropping beuty that is Resident Evil on Gamecube.

That and the fact that I saw a demo of MetroidPrime as well as the new zelda at Best Buy.

It is simply stunning.

I think the Gamecube hands down is the most impresive, most powerfull, console on the market right now. It's major downfall is lack of 3rd party support.

But I think this is an issue with most new generatin systems. There really isnt a single game out right now that is revolutionary by any means. It's all rehash, beating the same dead horse.

I mean, think of the old days. The NES had Mario bros. a game the likes of which had never been seen before. Revolutionary.

The Playstation had FF7, graphics and story never done like never before. (granted FFIV and FFVI beat the shit out of 7 for story, but not graphically of course).

N64, had Zelda64 and Mario64. Both masterpices introducing us to what would be TRUE 3d gaming.

Now, every game is just a spiffier remake of something that has already been done.

Anyway, I can't wait till the new Zelda !
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Doctor V

Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2002, 06:46 »
I have a PS2 and I am very satisfied.  Its a great system.  I have heard that its not easy to develop games for, but neither is the Xbox.  Gamecube is supposed to be very easy for developers.  Remember, a PS2 works as a DVD player, and a PS1 as well.  Thats a pretty good deal right.  That and the fact that many gaming companys, including square, are making games for PS2 means that it can't lose.  I havn't seen the gamecube yet, but its supposed to be the best, and Nintendo has a good reputation for quality.  Though N64 didn't exactly sell as well as it should have, it is a better system than people give it credit for.  No, M$ will not be able to take over the game consoul market.

Anyway, do not buy the Xbox people.  Even if M$ buys out many of the game developers.  PS2 and Gamecube have enough quality titles.  X-box is a force of evil that must be stamped out for good.

V

NullPointer

Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2002, 04:21 »
I have to confess, I bought an XBox too and it rocks as a games console. I believe Void Mains comments above to be true...Microsoft actually make a loss on the hardware.

Mmmm, but back to the thread about Xbox being a testbed for TCPA / Palladium ? Yep pretty sure that this is the case, or is certainly a adventure on Bills behalf into Digital Rights Management...as is XP.
NullPointer

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #21 on: 25 September 2002, 14:22 »
xbox is a test

it tests my ability to manage my chi and avoid VOMITING ALL OVER MYSELF OR SUFFERING AN EMBOLISM!  IT TESTS MY ABILITY TO NOT GO VICIOUSLY PUMPING ROUND AFTER ROUND INTO RANDOM FOLK OFF THE STREETS!
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2002, 14:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by sporkme / bob:
xbox is a test

it tests my ability to manage my chi and avoid VOMITING ALL OVER MYSELF OR SUFFERING AN EMBOLISM!  IT TESTS MY ABILITY TO NOT GO VICIOUSLY PUMPING ROUND AFTER ROUND INTO RANDOM FOLK OFF THE STREETS!

<sarcasm>Cool i'll have to get one now, they are only

pkd_lives

Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #23 on: 30 September 2002, 21:46 »
Just a little update on the xbox test.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123049,00.html

It's getting there. Althoug why they would advertise the fact that it runs W2K I don't know, it's not as if that is the major achievement, after all that's essentially what the xbox is.

Mandrake 9.0 proves it's worth.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #24 on: 30 September 2002, 23:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by pkd:
Just a little update on the xbox test.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2123049,00.html

It's getting there. Althoug why they would advertise the fact that it runs W2K I don't know, it's not as if that is the major achievement, after all that's essentially what the xbox is.

According to the article I got the feeling that they were running Win2k "under" Linux which to me means Win2k can not run by itself on the xbox without hardware virtualization, at least not the off-the-shelf version of Win2k. Maybe I misread it?
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

pkd_lives

Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #25 on: 30 September 2002, 23:52 »
They claim that they run W2k under pc virtualisation software (does this mean VM or Wine, et al.) And the run basic apps like office. But the technical detail is not so easily forthcoming.

This is their official press release.

Xbox runnning Mandrake 9.0 running W2K (now thats trustworthy computing).
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Xbox... just a test?
« Reply #26 on: 1 October 2002, 00:29 »
It would certainly mean they are running it in a VM. In fact it's hard to tell from the video but It almost looks like it could be a VMware session:

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/pic/xbox-linux4.avi

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...