Author Topic: a console to tyde you over until PS3  (Read 2525 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
a console to tyde you over until PS3
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2003, 02:34 »
it's a now-common misconception about Linux.

I think it's part of M$'s FUD campaign. If it's "open source", then obviously all you can get is source (not true) and you have to compile that... therefore, all open source software must be compiled.

I don't know where it comes from. I hate compiling shit because it never worked when I tried it, so I always got binaries, preferably RPMs.
Go the fuck ~

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
« Reply #16 on: 28 August 2003, 04:27 »
Grow up!
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #17 on: 28 August 2003, 07:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy James is COOL:
it's a now-common misconception about Linux.

I think it's part of M$'s FUD campaign. If it's "open source", then obviously all you can get is source (not true) and you have to compile that... therefore, all open source software must be compiled.

I don't know where it comes from. I hate compiling shit because it never worked when I tried it, so I always got binaries, preferably RPMs.

It is true that apt-get and others have really helped.  But I myself have broken linux system using apt-get.  And all I did was select update all in synaptic.  Then when I wanted to install software from the RedHat Software Manager util.  It said it couldn't find a file.  In fact synaptic had update the file.  Making it too new for RH.  Which meant I could not install apache and such without searching for it on the net.... and why should I do that when I can install it from a CD.... oh wait I can't, I broke it.

And some apps are illegal, so people are afraid to release them as binaries.  Some apps have a core then a gui of your choice... far too complicated.  They should have just made it one app and let u choose the gui.  The app I most dislike for doing this is Xine.

But I am over it, I don't use Linux and I know why.  Even if it doesn't satisfy you.  Unless a full proof way of installing software comes to linux I will stick with Mac OS and Be OS.

new2linux55

« Reply #18 on: 30 August 2003, 20:31 »
This console will never see light of day in stores.

Dont waste your well earned cash.

Faust

« Reply #19 on: 30 August 2003, 21:28 »
How can you waste your cash on something that will never be released?  Surely no one is going to accept any "three year pre order" lark?  :D

Oh and I definitely agree we should all get rid of this compiler malarky.  Including the developers, especially the developers!  We should just stick to perl / bash / python scripting and pray to god no one loses the interpreters.  :D  (Hmmm, Doom 3 written as a python script, drool over the processor size I'll need to run it...)  Oh wait.  We should just go back to assembly!

(Maybe you need to qualify / quantify your statements a bit...)

I've never had any problems with compiling.  And I've certainly never had any problems with apt-get .  (altough this is with Debian not Red Hat so your mileage has varied as you say...)

On a more personal note, does anyone else get thoughts about how much cooler CS would be if someone ported perl to the half life console?  
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Baikonur

• http://www.homepage.mac.com/citizensane/Personal1.html
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2003, 13:44 »
While you blokes duke it out over the eventual "Play Station III," my eye and attention is drawn toward the not-oft-mentioned . . .

Atari Nucleon, scheduled for a beta release January '06.

"The first console to implement diamond semi-conductors, as supplied by Apollo Diamond.  SX1 'Nucleon' processor rated at 93Ghz."

--ADDENDUM--

The above is a joke.  Though diamond semiconductors are closer than you might expect.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Xenix God ]

"The Freedom of the Individual is the only legitimate object of government." --Frank Lloyd Wright, 1869 - 1959

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2003, 22:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
I've never had any problems with compiling.  And I've certainly never had any problems with apt-get .  (altough this is with Debian not Red Hat so your mileage has varied as you say...)

I have found the exact opposite to be true I have never been able to succesfully compile something unless I installed all packages of the linux distro i chose.  Now with linux all packages is like 15 bagillion GB, so I never do select all packages.
And apt-get works for me (usually), but it has a very limited software set, only like 2000 packages or something.

Faust

« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2003, 23:06 »
LOL, only 2000 packages?  I have a list of about 10 or so thousand to choose from.   ;)   I think you're probably going to have trouble with apt-get on red hat because like you said you end up using two seperate repositories which aren't synced with each other.  :D
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #23 on: 5 October 2003, 11:29 »
The phantom is just another wintel machine that is extremely overpriced and extremely impractical.

Not to mention it has no optical drive.
All your base are belong to us.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #24 on: 6 October 2003, 08:24 »
I don't know exactly why Sony choose to use the power icon on the PS2 because the power button actually works as a reset button or a sleep mode switch.

If you press the button it resets the console.
If you press the power button and hold the button in for 4 or 5 seconds it puts the PS2 into sleep mode(about the same as turning it off but a device still draws a little bit of power in sleep mode).

Anyways, I don't care much for the PS2 because almost every game for it has jaggy graphics. I'm spoiled by anti-aliased gfx. Granted, the PS2 can make use of some stunning real-time shadowing and real-time reflection effects(the reflections on the cars of Grand Turismo 3 prove that) it simply doesn't produce the smooth graphics that some of the other conolse and a PC can produce.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #25 on: 8 October 2003, 08:57 »
quote:
Viper: I don't know exactly why Sony choose to use the power icon on the PS2 because the power button actually works as a reset button or a sleep mode switch.

They're becoming more consistent with their other products, such as their x00 cd changers and their DirecTV recievers. You don't actually turn their stuff off anymore. It just goes into standby. They may also do this with their TVs.

quote:
Phantom"

Standard Components
> Fits in any 19 entertainment center
> Custom OS on Windows XPe kernel
> Up to 3.0 GHz processor with 256MB DDR RAM
> High-performance nVidia video card
> High-performance Intel motherboard
> Dolby Digital" 7.1 Surround Sound
> 100+ Gigabyte internal storage device
> On-board RF wireless modules
> S-Video, RCA or component video and PAL
> 10/100 baseT Ethernet
> 1 wireless controller
> Wireless keyboard and mouse
> 2 USB ports > 4 controller ports
> 12 Port Extension Cable Phantom"  

BIG mistake. Hardware variance with consoles should be a non-issue. It shouldn't happen because it makes the playing field uneven. This is just Xbox Part Deux. It's even powered by nVidia, Intel and XP. Just get something else and do something Phantom owners can't: Hold up a physical copy of your game that you paid for.
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #26 on: 9 October 2003, 08:02 »
man, what are you talkin' about?

having different options is the roxor

especially when it means you can get into the platform for less. who cares about consoles anyway. PC games are better

mods
add-ons
cheats
codes
using keyboard and mouse to control FPS
using a joystick and having REAL flight sims
having a real rts
having the ability to update the game if there's something wrong

consoles are the worst
Go the fuck ~