Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Linux bound, but with problems to overcome.

(1/3) > >>

TehRoxor:
I have had Mandrake Linux 9.2 installed for about a month now, and recently I've decided to start using Linux more than Windows(Due to frustration with the product itself as well as the bad ethics of the Microsoft Corporation). In order to become completely comfortable with Linux, I want to fix a few problems I have been having.

[*]Screen "wobbles." This may come from a bad driver or refresh rate problem. I have an "NVidea XFX Geforce fx 5200 256MB" and a 21 inch Sony Trinitron. [*]I can't seem to get Flash or Java working with Mozilla. I am using Mozilla 1.5. When I try to install the Flash plugin, it says it is successfully installed but it does not work. Sun's Java plugin is acting similarly. I can't get a lot of other Mozilla plugins to work as well, such as the "Optomoz" mouse gestures. I tried installing that plugin as root. That worked, but then Mozilla would only open as root. I had to reinstall Mozilla to get it to work for any user.[*]Printer does not print properly. I have a Lexmark Z25 which isn't directly supported. I selected a similar model only to have it spit blank pages out at me upon attempting to print anything. Any ideas on how I can get it to work? [*]And not nearly as important: I would like to get my Microsoft USB SideWinder and/or my My Gravis Gamepad pro working. I like to play roms using my controllers...[*]Even less important: Are there any media players as good as Winamp 5? I do have XMMS, but that's nowhere near as good as Winamp 5. I can't get it to work with Wine either...[/list]

If anybody could help with any of those, I would greatly appreciate it. If you need more information, just ask.

I hope to become a regular member of this forum

TheQuirk:
Screen: you have to be a bit more specific here. did you install the nVidia drivers?

Flash: did you use the installation utility?

Printer: Official drivers are available. Try them out.

Controllers: http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/joystick/

Your Gravis one is supported. I'm not sure about the MS one--didn't search.

TehRoxor:
Wow, thanks. My printer works fine now. I'm about to work on the controllers. As for the flash plugin, yes, I did use the intallation utility... I think. I'll look for driver for my graphics card. I suppose that should have been the first thing to do...

Edit: The XFX website only has a fake link for a Linux driver. Does one exist?

[ January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Teh_Roxor ]

Refalm:
I like Noatun better than XMMS.

flap:

quote:Even less important: Are there any media players as good as Winamp 5? I do have XMMS, but that's nowhere near as good as Winamp 5. I can't get it to work with Wine either...
--- End quote ---

Just out of interest, how is winamp 5 better?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version