Author Topic: gaim question  (Read 1016 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
gaim question
« on: 18 January 2003, 03:05 »
Is it possible to run a program (specifically, a bash script) when a specific user sends a specific message to me? Why? I have a security system set up with linux, the alarm is really loud. I want to be able to kill it by sending an instant message through my cell phone to the computer, so that it doesn't go off when I get home. Is this possible? Or perhaps a different instant messenger client, i'm not too picky. Thanks.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
gaim question
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2003, 03:06 »
the answer... anything is possible, its open source. There is loadable PERL modules in Gaim perhaps you could make one that does this... or maybe there is already one made that does that.

[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: The Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
gaim question
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2003, 03:19 »
BTW, I wouldn't rely on gaim for that kind of work. It crashes WAY too often. Imagine this scenatio: it's 1A.M, you got back from a 6 hour car ride, and all you want to do is get in bed. Sudenlly, gAim crashes and you are not able to get into your house without waking up the neighbors (and probably getting fined).

Stryker

• VIP
gaim question
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2003, 04:07 »
I dont want to either, i prefer keeping it running in text mode. Although I don't think this will be possible that way (considering the lack of sound without X)... off topic, but is it possible?

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
gaim question
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2003, 08:03 »
of course it would be possible. Hack the source. you could magle the source until its not even recognizeable as gaim anymore just to get it to do what you want.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Stryker

• VIP
gaim question
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2003, 11:07 »
I was actually meaning, can I have sound without X running? I'll look into the gaim stuff tomorrow after, hopefully, some sleep.

DC

• Kudos: 0
gaim question
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2003, 13:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
I was actually meaning, can I have sound without X running?

Ehh, that's a most definite yes. mpg321 nicely takes over from XMMS to provide me with sound after I destroyed the X server for the Nth time doing something impossible  
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall