Author Topic: Is Microsoft Linux inevitable?  (Read 1165 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Is Microsoft Linux inevitable?
« on: 9 September 2003, 04:54 »
I'm just wondering...do many people believe that some form of a Microsoft Linux is inevitable? Especially if Asia has its way and designs a great OS that's a competition to Microsoft?

If so, what do you think it will be called?
If not, why don't you think it will ever happen?

Maybe one day this will be real?

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 9 September 2003, 05:00 »
Unlikely. Microsoft wants total control on its products, and have tried to undermine open source for a very long time. They would certainly not release their products under the GPL; that would only make the situation worse for them.

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #2 on: 9 September 2003, 05:19 »
wouldn't they chose BSD like apple did?  BSD has its own license doesn't it?  Well then again The GNU Package/Linux has their own license.  But isn't the BSD License more restrictive?

Great_Satan

« Reply #3 on: 9 September 2003, 06:03 »

http://www.mslinux.org

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/biztech/12/10/meta.linux.reut/

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Great_Satan ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #4 on: 9 September 2003, 07:16 »
My god, a picture with a penguin and the windows logo together . . . how doesn't it explode . . .

jrich4

« Reply #5 on: 9 September 2003, 20:06 »
The Linux GNU General Public Licesne states that any code developed under it must be made feely available. Under the BSD open-source license you do not have to make the source code freely available. For comercial developers the BSD license is better for them to be able to make a profit.

Faust

« Reply #6 on: 9 September 2003, 21:02 »
When they realize that Windows is doomed to a slow deathe they'll probably just take the BSD code base, slap some crap programs on top of it, advertise the hell out of it, claim that all the good features they took from the bsds are their own and "new", and then get a massive portion of the market because people are stupid.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

idlepython3

« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2003, 21:08 »
Winux?  i think i will have to put my head through my monitor if i have to see that.  penguins are our friends, we must protect them from the evil ones who would rather have them captured or destroyed than allow them to just be happy and run free from captivity.
save the penguins, bust the trusts!
"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed... oh wait, he
does."

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2003, 01:07 »
winsux.

on my computer, i have 3 OSs, freebsd 4.7, red hat 9.0 and dr-dos 7.03 (with ms windows for workgroups 3.11, the calmira II desktop environment and a lot of gnu tools), now as i said elsewhere, i think if the calmira people and the freedos people could meet in the middle, a fully open source windowsalike could be realistic. at first it would simply be like OS/2 with all the benefits of the open source model, but i wonder how long it would take for it to overtake windows...

all they need to do is come up with some GUI for FreeDOS that will replace mswindows 3.11 and they're off. perhaps some version of xfree86.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2003, 05:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
winsux.

on my computer, i have 3 OSs, freebsd 4.7, red hat 9.0 and dr-dos 7.03 (with ms windows for workgroups 3.11, the calmira II desktop environment and a lot of gnu tools), now as i said elsewhere, i think if the calmira people and the freedos people could meet in the middle, a fully open source windowsalike could be realistic. at first it would simply be like OS/2 with all the benefits of the open source model, but i wonder how long it would take for it to overtake
windows....
all they need to do is come up with some GUI for FreeDOS that will replace mswindows 3.11 and they're off. perhaps some version of xfree86.

great idea, but as soon as they finished Windows Would DRM there entire ptoduct line

slvadcjelli42

« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2003, 04:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
now as i said elsewhere, i think if the calmira people and the freedos people could meet in the middle, a fully open source windowsalike could be realistic.

What do you think of the ReactOS project, if you've heard of it? I'm feeling pretty optomistic about that one, myself. ( http://www.reactos.com ) It's not all that far along, but seems to be moving pretty fast. I think I first got that one from MES's list... well, it's definitely there, anyway.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2003, 00:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
I'm just wondering...do many people believe that some form of a Microsoft Linux is inevitable? Especially if Asia has its way and designs a great OS that's a competition to Microsoft?

If so, what do you think it will be called?
If not, why don't you think it will ever happen?

Maybe one day this will be real?

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

Who would use an infrerror version of linux???

Windows_SuX_@$$

« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2003, 00:53 »
Retarded M$ is makeing an OS thats for

"Lunux Users"

Fuck Them KILLL KILL KILL
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2003, 03:05 »
will never happen. My vision of M$ in 10-20 years time, is one of small user groups still clingin to keeping XPEEE or Longhorn FogHorn (if it ever gets released) alive. Much like Acorn or BBC micro groups, you know the ones that get QuickTime bareley working on a sinclair of Amstrad boxes.

Make no mistake M$ is going the way of the Dodo, this will happen. So M$ Linux? Nah!
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Ronan

« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2003, 05:36 »
Who Cares,

not gonna make money, due to open sorce code laws... they cant sell it... in order to sell it, they have to HAVE to have a FREE download of 'ms linux' after that can they only sell the cd's.... thats why u can download redhat at www.fileplanet.com, and mandrake
ect. ect.