Author Topic: Some other newbie specific questions:  (Read 936 times)

Lennon

• Kudos: 0
Some other newbie specific questions:
« on: 10 April 2003, 02:06 »
Hi, i have a few new questions not concerned with my linux education, but with other things. A few short answers will do me fine and i'll shut up.  

I installed Mandrake 9.1 with only CD1.

1-I have some thing called Qt Designer on my Mandrake 9.1 and it looks very interesting. I made some program but couldnt compile it since i dont have qmake, and the usual make would recognize the .pro files. So
-Whats Qt stand for?
-What is the Qt designer used for?
-How useful can it be?

2-How do i find my own IP on Linux?
-How do i set up a ftp server (dynamic IP of my current connection), or does Linux set it up automaticaly once connected?

3-I have a friend who claims he runs a IRC server. I wouldn't like my ISP to run my website for me, i want full control. I'll do this in 2 years, but you can be the first to give me advice. I'll gather enough money for (nearly) whatevers necesary so be broad:
-What is needed (hard/software) for one person to run his/her own 24h server and web site?
-Is it even possible?
-If possible, how do i register my fixed IP with the DNS?
-How do i get a fixed IP in the first place    ?
-Is fuckmicrosoft.com one of such servers?

4-What's the best free AND online way for me to improve my basic knowledge of C++ programming? Any web sites? Any software?
-Is Assembly easier then C++ to learn?
-Which language is easiest to learn but not too powerful?

Thats all.   :cool:  
Breif answers will be highly appreciated, i hope i'm not too annoying. If i am, direct me to other forums  
Peace out.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2003, 02:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lennon:
Hi, i have a few new questions not concerned with my linux education, but with other things. A few short answers will do me fine and i'll shut up.      

I installed Mandrake 9.1 with only CD1.

1-I have some thing called Qt Designer on my Mandrake 9.1 and it looks very interesting. I made some program but couldnt compile it since i dont have qmake, and the usual make would recognize the .pro files. So
-Whats Qt stand for?
-How useful can it be?

2-How do i find my own IP on Linux?
-How do i set up a ftp server (dynamic IP of my current connection), or does Linux set it up automaticaly once connected?

3-I have a friend who claims he runs a IRC server. I wouldn't like my ISP to run my website for me, i want full control. I'll do this in 2 years, but you can be the first to give me advice. I'll gather enough money for (nearly) whatevers necesary so be broad:
-What is needed (hard/software) for one person to run his/her own 24h server and web site?
-Is it even possible?
-If possible, how do i register my fixed IP with the DNS?
-How do i get a fixed IP in the first place        ?
-Is fuckmicrosoft.com one of such servers?

4-What's the best free AND online way for me to improve my basic knowledge of C++ programming? Any web sites? Any software?
-Is Assembly easier then C++ to learn?
-Which language is easiest to learn but not too powerful?

Thats all.     :cool:    
Breif answers will be highly appreciated, i hope i'm not too annoying. If i am, direct me to other forums      

1) I have no clue about Qt Designer

2) netstat -n interface device.
Let's say your interface device called eth0
netstat -n eth0
You may or may not be able to set up an FTP server. It depends on how dynamic the IP is...
You have to install an FTP package to get it to work.

3) He very well may. It's not that hard.
What ISP do you have? I can give you more specific setup info if I had your ISP's name.
A stable computer, Linux and Apache. A quiet computer helps too, for sanity reasons.
Yeah. I did it for about a year
You register a domain with someone, and you enter your ip to correspond to whatever.com. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds.
Getting a fixed IP is ISP dependent. Leave your computer on for a few days straight, and monitor your IP. See how often (if at all) it changes.
FMS is hosted more professionally than an in-home jobbie I think.

4) Get a book or take a class. Trust me, you will be happy you did later on!
Assembly is MUCH harder to learn than C++. One of the very few things Assembly has going for it is speed due to highly specialized code.
Something basic. Qbasic maybe?

My personal opinion:
Get your feet wet in concepts like arrays, etc in BASIC. Then move on to applying those concepts in C++ or Java. Then do objective concepts in C++ or Java. If you want to do more, then go to assembly if you want.

Have phun!

(And it only took me like 20 minutes to answer!)  

[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2003, 05:01 »
you can set your own IP somehow with a graphic tool, but i dont know how in mandrake. To set your IP open a console and type "setup" and then go to "network" that should ask you some questions about what you want your IP to be or whether to obtain it from a dhcp server.

to find out what your IP already is, see above post.

setting up a webserver isnt hard at all. The only cost is the cost of the internet (and the initial cost of the computer). I have a crappy old computer running http://chatroom.fuckmicrosoft.com:8000 on Linux. Its quite easy, the only thing is to make sure you have a firewall. All you have to do is install Apache (Also called httpd)... which you might already have installed, type "which httpd" in the console and if it says anything than you do have it installed.
Then you just put the pages you want on the net, in a certain directory (usually /var/www/html/) and configure apache (very little configuration is required... just server name and port). You might need to change it from running on port 80, some ISPs like to block that. I run my webserver on port 8000.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2003, 12:49 »
quote:
-Whats Qt stand for?
-How useful can it be?

What's Qt stand for? I don't know, however, Qt Designer is made by a company called Troll Tech. They're Norwegian, so it may stand for something in that language. Then, again, it may stand for nothing at all -- as does the "K" in KDE. You'll find that Linux apps have a terminology that's all their own.

What is the Qt Designer used for? Qt includes both a RAD (Rapid Application Development) IDE that's quite similar to Borland's C++Builder and Delphi, and a GUI class library. Qt is used to write graphical apps. You can do this either by hand, coding all the windows yourself. Or you can use the form designer to do the graphical front end, and code just the event handlers. There's also a sister app called "KDevelop" that incorporates Qt, but allows the writing of KDE apps. (Although, personally, I prefer FOX: a sleeker class lib as Qt's been getting rather bloated lately, smaller executables, and a dynamic message/target system of event dispatch. And FOX apps are just soooooooo darn good lookin'!)

How useful can it be? As useful as you want, and what your coding ability can support.

What's the best free AND online way for me to improve my basic knowledge of C++ programming?
Go on-line, bring up Google, enter "C++ Programming Tutorials" into the search window. You'll get scads of resources ranging from rank beginner to advanced.

Is Assembly easier than C++ to learn? No.

Which language is easiest to learn but not too powerful?

There are a couple of choices here: Go to the Linux Documentation Project website, and look for: BASH-Prog-Intro-HOWTO, and Adv-Bash-Scr-HOWTO. There's also Python, and Ruby, although this one is a tad more challenging than Python. There's also Perl. This one can come in handy as it's often used as a "glue" language used for communication between processes. Perl isn't too hard, although the syntax can be a bit confusing at first.

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2003, 12:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Master of Reality / Bob:
To set your IP open a console and type "setup" and then go to "network" that should ask you some questions about what you want your IP to be or whether to obtain it from a dhcp server.

i thought that was slackware specific, but i am probably wrong!

as for Qt, it is a development toolkit for making GUI stuff, and that's about all i know except that it is not properly free software (or maybe it is but it wasn't till recently if so) which explains the existence of the Gtk, a totally Free toolkit developed to do the same job as Qt. here's an opinion piece about Qt.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Lennon

« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2003, 16:46 »
Thanks for the answers, i read them very carefully. Great help, thanks guys.

But does that mean i can run a server on my 128kbps dual ISDN? Wouldnt it be too little bandwidth?
Peace out.