Author Topic: Suggest a Linux for a newbie  (Read 1114 times)

Ginja_Ninja

• Kudos: 0
Suggest a Linux for a newbie
« on: 11 November 2002, 23:36 »
hi, i am new to the forums as i am linux, so plz be patient.

I have had it to the back teeth with microsoft, and its "os's" but i am not gonna winge cause my reasons have proberly bin discussed many time over in here.

My question is : i am very much moving to linux. I have played a little with slackware 8.2 but my knowledge is very limited when it comes to linux and need ur help.

Out of all the distrobutions availiable, wich one would u reccomend.

I have a few requirements.

1. Needs to be very clean (just the way i am) no unessecery rubbish installed on my b,half, minamilistic is the word i am after.

2.Fast

3. I am Paranoid about security (hense the move from windows  ;)

can i run kde 3 on it ??

i am not bothered if they are newbie unfreindly as i am willing to learn and am pretty patient, i am in no hurry, so i can spend as much time as neccesery setting it up.

i know thats alot to ask but if u could help i would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

GN

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2002, 23:48 »
SInce you area noob go with a popular distro. Go with RedHat8.0. (thats what am using). Mandrake is very noob friendly and Suse is the same. I recommend getting their latest versions.

AS far as packages, you can select which packages you want before the installation begins.

Now if you wanna go all crazy, Download the 16Mb Gentoo and build your system from there. You an do the same with Debian.
  But beware, Gentoo is not that friendly to setup if you are a noob.

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2002, 00:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ginja_Ninja:
hi, i am new to the forums as i am linux, so plz be patient.

I have had it to the back teeth with microsoft, and its "os's" but i am not gonna winge cause my reasons have proberly bin discussed many time over in here.

My question is : i am very much moving to linux. I have played a little with slackware 8.2 but my knowledge is very limited when it comes to linux and need ur help.

Out of all the distrobutions availiable, wich one would u reccomend.

I have a few requirements.

1. Needs to be very clean (just the way i am) no unessecery rubbish installed on my b,half, minamilistic is the word i am after.

2.Fast

3. I am Paranoid about security (hense the move from windows   ;)  

can i run kde 3 on it ??

i am not bothered if they are newbie unfreindly as i am willing to learn and am pretty patient, i am in no hurry, so i can spend as much time as neccesery setting it up.

i know thats alot to ask but if u could help i would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

GN

If you weren't a noob, I'd scream "Slackware!" But if you are willing to learn how to set it up, that exactly fits your description.
www.slackware.org

If Slackware doesn't appeal to you, definately go with Red Hat 8.0
www.redhat.com

Download either from:
www.linuxiso.org

Help with setup (basic):
http://forum.fuckmicrosoft.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000057

pkd_lives

« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2002, 00:17 »
Steer clear of Mandrake if you want to avoid bloat. It's a little too everything/eye candy orientated for my taste, And I went back to 8.2 from 9.0 on Mandrake, I'm not happy with it.

Lycoris is said to be good for noobs and is comparably small, to red hat, et. al.

Any of the common distros should have no trouble with KDE 3 or Gnome 2, in fact if you download current versions then you will likely get the lastest versions of these and other GUIs, all as part of the package.

Installing only what you need, and learning those apps is the best way of improving your security. Security is a matter of knowing what you are doing and why. This is why I would ONLY trust OSS, because until I can see what an OS is doing it is an unknown quanity, and that is the biggest no-no in security.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2002, 01:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by pkd:
Steer clear of Mandrake if you want to avoid bloat. It's a little too everything/eye candy orientated for my taste, And I went back to 8.2 from 9.0 on Mandrake, I'm not happy with it.

Lycoris is said to be good for noobs and is comparably small, to red hat, et. al.

Any of the common distros should have no trouble with KDE 3 or Gnome 2, in fact if you download current versions then you will likely get the lastest versions of these and other GUIs, all as part of the package.

Installing only what you need, and learning those apps is the best way of improving your security. Security is a matter of knowing what you are doing and why. This is why I would ONLY trust OSS, because until I can see what an OS is doing it is an unknown quanity, and that is the biggest no-no in security.

Lycoris is very like Mandrake in that it is rather slow, and bloated compared to other distros.

But it does have solitare that you can play while it is installing! How come nobody else thought of that?

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2002, 04:12 »
WHAT?!

Old ass versions of Caldera already had a game! 2.4, for example, featured PAC-MAN!

THEY STEAL INNOVATION!  ;)  :-p

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2002, 15:30 »
pacman! if i had known that, then that would have made my 'which distro is best' decision so much easier!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2002, 22:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by [calum@localhost]$:
pacman! if i had known that, then that would have made my 'which distro is best' decision so much easier!

That was the deciding factor when I bought it.