Author Topic: Linux and Mainstream Applications... Possible convertee looking for advice  (Read 986 times)

swankinrosco

• Kudos: 0
Well I'm seriously considering moving from XP to Mandrake 9.0... I've tried it out several times (off and on from Mandrake 6-8.2) but the latest offense against the average consumer with WMP9 has lit my "fuck'm" switch. So here I am, beckoning the Linux Savy for a bit of guidance.

I'm curious as towards what kind of webdevelopment software Linux can offer me, are Macromedia programs compatible? Adobe? If not what are counterparts? How do the Linux-using-web-developers go about their construction? As I understand, Linux is very programmer savvy, I just didn't know about web-design. Also, I know there is the Gimp, but what about graphic creation, editing, manipulation, etc?

Next up, Is there a port for the popular windows Direct Connect program? (I will still need to use this after crossing over). Similarly, what games today are linux-supported__NOT__emulator supported. I'm too novice to get an emulator to work -.-     I suppose I'll have to keep a partition installed with XP for my online gaming needs (DAOC, CnC Generals, Red Alert2, several others...)

How good is the compatibility of the StarOffice suite with MS Office XP ? I'm in a computer business fundamentals class here at the university, and we're learning (YAY!!!     :(        :mad:        :rolleyes:    ) Office XP, resulting in many PPT presentations, and quite a large nuber of Excel spreadsheets, I also think we'll be doing Access databases later on in the semester...

Anyways, I guess the fruit my problem is, whenever I come over to linux I just go back to doze, because my games/apps are there... A common problem w/ linux's small following alltogether. (small vs M$, don't flame me, banana hungry monkeys are always looking to flame the newb *nix hater.)

Thanks.

EDIT: Also - I have software for turning DVDs into
SVCDs on doze, would need conversion programs for linux as well if I convert.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: swankinrosco ]

Edit #2 Also curious about how the file system structure of Linux works. Whenever I used it before, I was very confused... seems like it makes a few different "drives" - there's no common program files directory... so when installing programs/games/etc, where should I direct their files to go? Could someone give me a greater-than-brief explanation of the file-system/struction of linux? I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks again.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: swankinrosco ]

ForceSphere

If your newer to Linux (much like me) then Dual Boot Windows on your machine, make sure you backup your data first and use fdisk to make two partitions (or buy another HDD, saves some hastle of backing up).  As i have found, Linux can do most of all of what you are asking, it's getting the proggies to install is the problem, good holy christ RPMs will have you in the sanitarium if you dont watch yourself.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
First of all, welcome to the boards. Now, from what you write in your post I think you should at the beginning try a dual-booting scheme. In order to do that, you could either use a commercial program, like Partition Magic, or you could try fdisk as Force wrote. Keep in mind also, that most (if not all) modern Linux distributions come with partitioning and resizing tools during installations. If you want to just resize your HD, make sure you use FAT32 as your filesystem in windows, in order for Linux to have read/write access to your windows partition. When you have that figured out, it is very important to BACK UP your data. You never know what could go wrong.

As for web development in Linux, you could always give vi or vim a try, for good old HTML editing in a very powerful text editor. If you're into WYSIWYG editors, I would suggest the Mozilla editor or Amaya, which is available at the w3c page. You could also give "Scream" a try, which is also an HTML editor for GNOME.

Image editing, creation and manipulation is a different story BTW. The GIMP can certainly do all of that and for FREE. What I really don't know, is whether you could run any Adobe programs in WINE (a windows emulator). I also don't know much about games. Some of the guys here can shed some light on that.

Your office documents can be opened by StarOffice or OpenOffice.org (I would suggest the latter because it's free) as can be your presentations. Also, Codeweaver has recently introduced a cross-platform commercial software for those who want to run M$Office in Linux.

I also don't know about DVD->SVCD conversion programs for Linux but you can play your DVDs if you use Ogle, Xine or Mplayer.

The directory structure in Linux is a whole different story. First of all, the reason you didn't get across any drive letters is because physical drives are incorporated into the directory tree and presented as files. The filesystem itself can be really complex and needs some time getting used to. I suggest any good book from O'Reilly or a good online tutorial.

Last but not least, get some info about your hardware. You really need to know whether most of, if not all of it is compatible with Linux.

Good luck in switching over!  

swankinrosco

well thanks for the replies fellas!

first off, my original questions concerning macromedia/adobe development software were sincere, because i need large tools like that for my job/school/etc.

secondly, yah my stuff is linux compatible, and i know about partitioning, yadda yadda   .. i noted i've been dabbling w/ linux a bit off and on since mandrake 6.

so if those clear out any further responses, hopefully it will help filter more information  

i would also ask if you could give me a bit more info abuot the filesystem (i'm relatively bright, i'll understand)   [above poster]

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Writing more about the directory structure in Linux would require too much space and time believe me. I might as well write a whole tutorial.   :D  

I can however provide you with a couple of links to start with and you can search more later on yourself:

http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/tutorials/filesystem.shtml

http://www.ctssn.com/

My second advice is to start learning basic commands. Apart from needing them later when you use Linux, they will also save you a lot of time.

Agent007

Mandrake is dead......Stay away from it..

AMD Athlon processor
256MB SDRAM
Linux Distro - RedHat 9.0

CaptainCool

quote:
Mandrake is dead......Stay away from it..

Since when did Mandrake die? They are making 9.1 which should be released soon.
  :rolleyes:

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Mandrake officially died when Red Hat Linux 8 came out.  

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
i have mandrake 8.2, red hat 7.0, red hat 8.0 and mandrake 9.0.

Having tried both the newest offerings from red hat and mandrake i use mandrake 9 as my main OS. there's not much in it, and i know why some people prefer red hat, but i would still recommend mandrake, especially to a beginner at linux.

and mandrake is far from 'dead', i promise.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism