Author Topic: My thoughts on "Running Linux"  (Read 1097 times)

edwardsen35

• Kudos: 0
My thoughts on "Running Linux"
« on: 25 December 2002, 06:56 »
I'm a newbie to Linux and I wanted to learn more about it.  My local LUG recommended reading "Running Linux".  I went to amazon.com to buy the book.  I saw that a new edition was going to be released in 2 weeks so I decided to wait for the new edition.  2 weeks went by and I got an e-mail from Amazon saying that they were pushing the release date to December.  I decided to wait for the new edition because I was busy with school and I knew that I wouldn't have a lot of time to read it.  
     Now that the first semester is over I have been able to read the first 7 chapters.  I have been very disappointed with the book.  I have found numerous spelling and grammatical mistakes.  I am beginning to wonder if anybody even edited this book.  What is even more damaging to the book's creditability is that I have found information in the book that is incorrect.  For example here is a passage from the book:

When you want to use tar in conjunction with bzip2, you need to tell tar about your compression program preferences, like this:
     tar cvf tarfile.tar.bz2 --use-compress-              program=bzip2 files...
or, shorter
     tar cvf tarfile.tar.bz2 --use-compress-              program=bzip2 files...
or, shorter still:
     tar cvjf tarfile.tar.bz2 files

The first two comands are exactly the same!!!!  

I know that the book is 600 pages long but I can’t believe the amount of mistakes that I have found so far.  I have learned a lot but I wonder if I would have been better off to buy the third edition.

-A Frustrated Newbie
     edwardsen35

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2002, 07:11 »
learn from its mistakes, and read all the howtos from back to back at the linux howto place/*don't remember it from memory*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Chooco

« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2002, 16:08 »
you mean this book?

my friend bought this book a year ago, hasn't found a problem in it yet. great book  ;)

if you are serious about Linux, get the book called Linux In A Nutshell which looks like this

it has every command you could think of, i love it    it's just a shame i no longer have Linux  :(

edwardsen35

« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2002, 18:55 »
yes I mean that book.  Your friend must have bought a previous edition because the 4th edition just came out in december.

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2002, 00:10 »
I've gotten a few of the O'Reilly books for Linux and they're all been good.  But I have noticed a lot of bad editing in just about everything recently, from newspapers (which always had frequent errors) to books (which generally were well edited).  Maybe with so much of the written word being passed around via e-mail, publishers are less worried about editing, or less willing to spend the money necessary for good editing, than they once were.

I don't know.  Just a thought.

Jim

creedon

« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2002, 23:17 »
I'm a documentation freak; it's gotta be on paper for me, I'm very good at reading and comprehending what I read.  That being said, I DON'T believe that spending money on books for Linux is particularly neccisary (GOD I HATE THAT WORD; I can NEVER remember how to spell it!)  There's a HUGE amount of documentation available on the internet; the biggest thing is being able to determine what information you're looking for- that's not particularly easy, given the unstructured form of the 'net.  As I've said before, the best information gathering source available to Linux users (and people who want to be Linux users) is Google.  If an individual is willing to exchange some time for information, almost anything they're looking for can be found using Google, so the situation boils down to deciding if you want to spend your cash for a book that may or may not have the specific information you're looking for, or spend some time with Google, and find exactly the information you want.  Given the increasingly rapid development of Linux, a hard-copy book may be out of date shortly after it's printed, whereas information on the internet (both archived articles and at forums like this one) might have been writen or posted within days of the introduction of some new application for Linux, and allow a user to add a new application o his (or her) system that might not have hard copy documentation available for several months.
BTW: I see you're from the Syracuse area; looks like the'cuse is becoming a hotbed of penguin activity, given Dosman and myself.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2002, 00:19 »
Don't mean to step on any toes but wouldn't make more sense for a newbie to purchase/acquire a book if possible as opposed to searching the internet for a list of commands/directions that match with his or her needs? It's always there night and day internet or not and in the incident you mess up your OS or whatever and have to reinstall you don't lose any emails/bookmarks/favorites etc. . . Just a thunk

Dj
=)

creedon

« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2002, 01:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Engineer:
Don't mean to step on any toes but wouldn't make more sense for a newbie to purchase/acquire a book if possible as opposed to searching the internet for a list of commands/directions that match with his or her needs? It's always there night and day internet or not and in the incident you mess up your OS or whatever and have to reinstall you don't lose any emails/bookmarks/favorites etc. . . Just a thunk

Dj

Agreed to a point; I'm assuming (yeah, I KNOW what assuming does!) that, if the individual wants to buy a book on Linux, that they have some idea what the O.S. is; if they just heard a comment like "Linux is great" or "Linux sucks!", then I wouldn't expect them to have ANY idea what to search for; I DO think that a basic tutorial for Linux isn't a bad idea- I have a couple, and I refer to them every once in a while, but, as I said, Linux develpoment has gotten so rapid, only the basics have remained static; you need basics, but that isn't a realistic veiw of the state of Linux today- ya gotta Google!

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2002, 01:26 »
and I agree with you there, I guess I could have been a little more detailed in my post. I did mean by books, something basic because as you said we simply cannot keep up

Dj
=)

creedon

« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2002, 01:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Engineer:
and I agree with you there, I guess I could have been a little more detailed in my post. I did mean by books, something basic because as you said we simply cannot keep up

Dj

I'm starting a LAN (Debian-powered, of course!)  It's just a small home network, not intended for internet use; DAMN, I sure am glad that Google exists; I thought I was pretty good wth Linux- hot-shot Debian user and all, but I don't know SQUAT about networking; Debian has a tremendous amount of documentation on their website, BUT IT'S ALL IN GEEKLISH!  That's a tounge I'm not fluent in, but by using Google, I'm learning pretty fast; I figure by the time I get my LAN up, I'll know enough to be able to configure it without a problem,or conversely, burn my house down in a spectacular fire; Hey, you don't hit a home run EVERY time, right?

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2002, 05:43 »
buy an ethenet hub or switch off of ebay, and a multipack of 10/100mbs ethernet cards. buy an ethernet cable crimper that comes with a few ends/*bastards over charge for cabling*/. then buy some cabling from home despot or the likes/*i don't know how far you are going, youll need to measure it yourself*/ and cut and crimp it to fit/*leave about 2/3 feet over, incase you want to move it later*/ plug the ehternet cables into the hub/switch to the cards, turn the switch/hub on. then turn the computers on and proceed to set the netmask to the same on ech one//*comen netmask for home use is 255.255.255.0 */ and give each one a different ip address along the lines of 192.68.0.* and if you made the cable the correct way and everything works you should be able to ping each machine from one another
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

dishawjp

« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2002, 17:48 »
Hi Creedon!

quote:
BTW: I see you're from the Syracuse area; looks like the'cuse is becoming a hotbed of penguin activity, given Dosman and myself  

Edwardsen35 is one of my students.  I guess I'm responsible for adding him to both this list and the Syracuse area hotbed of Penguin activity.

I tried to get him to join us next weekend, but he's got some basketball tournament at the College then.  

I have another (former) student who asked me to do a Linux install on his laptop, but I'm a bit nervous about that though and have been putting him off.  I also hope to convert another of my current students soon.  He still thinks Windows is an OS, but I'm working on him :)

I force all my students to learn at least some Linux (and DOS and VMS) and some of them make the switch.

Jim

creedon

« Reply #12 on: 30 December 2002, 19:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by DOSman:
Hi Creedon!

Edwardsen35 is one of my students.  I guess I'm responsible for adding him to both this list and the Syracuse area hotbed of Penguin activity.

I tried to get him to join us next weekend, but he's got some basketball tournament at the College then.  

I have another (former) student who asked me to do a Linux install on his laptop, but I'm a bit nervous about that though and have been putting him off.  I also hope to convert another of my current students soon.  He still thinks Windows is an OS, but I'm working on him :)

I force all my students to learn at least some Linux (and DOS and VMS) and some of them make the switch.

Jim

I THOUGHT I saw your fine hand in this.  I think that I'm going to be picking brains Sunday; this LAN is getting out of hand.  At this point, it looks like I'm going from my old reliable desktop to a network that includes old reliable, a dual processer P-II w/ 2 P-266 Mhz and SCSI, an AMD K-6 233 Mhz for a gateway, and a Toshiba Sattilite 440 laptop, all in a WLAN configuration; and I've still got less than $300.00 invested!  I MAY be in over my head!!

dishawjp

« Reply #13 on: 30 December 2002, 19:43 »
Hi Creedon,

Well, Eliot will definitely be there on Sunday and he's the networking and lan man for sure.

Actualy Edwardsen will be bringing his little "problem child" out to the house tonight and Eliot and I will see what we can do for him.  

Maybe if we drink enough beer we'll become inspired... or something :)

Jim