Author Topic: game-related idea  (Read 1290 times)

askani

• Kudos: 0
game-related idea
« on: 29 April 2002, 05:53 »
i was thinking that maybe myself and a few others could help out the gameaholics that winex isn't satisfying (read games don't work). since i have a dual boot i can go into win and install whatever game is making trouble properly. then i could just export its registry settings and try to import them in linux. i'm guessing that this and copying the actual files (plus a little nocd patch) might be just the thing. i dunno. if you have any better ideas let me know.

Interscope

game-related idea
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2002, 19:00 »
Wine wont install for me. It says it can't detect a package, which, according to  software manager, is installed.

quote:

configure: error: no suitable bison/yacc found. Please install the 'bison' package.

Configure failed, aborting install.

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Dummie for Linux ]

Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
game-related idea
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2002, 20:18 »
i'm having trouble with WineX: /winedir/tools/wineinstall
and it tells me that configure is too old so run ./configure so i did it and it tells me to do make (something, cant remember), so i did that and it tells me that configure is too old so run ./configure.
and it just keeps telling me this in a loop of events. Its a paradox! I  cant get it to install.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

askani

game-related idea
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2002, 06:17 »
sorry guys, no advice for ya yet. had to reinstall linux because of some issues when resizing its partition. MoR, you could either try to get the latest version of make for your distro, or you could try to look at your time cause maybe the date/time is screwed up or something.  

askani

game-related idea
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2002, 06:20 »
dummie, you m9ight wanna do the same thing as MoR for bison, get the latest pkg for yer distro from the distro's main site. and i think this doesn't work on anything other than linux.......for some reason, so if you've got some bsd or something, tough luck. I dunno really cause i haven't tested it.  :(

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
game-related idea
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2002, 06:20 »
i installed wine with my distro, then tryed to install wineX (i think i removed wine first), so maybe there is some old wine files left, that wineX is looking at.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

gnomez

game-related idea
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2002, 07:38 »
I applaud the effort put into wine, but it would be better if we could convince software developers that Windows is an inferior development platform, due to the fact that the kernel is closed source and the Windows development tools are pricey and inferior to those in Linux.  Also, if that doesn't convice them maybe they should realize that Microsoft isn't playing fair with them.  A Microsoft executive recently told a judge that Microsoft should have the right to make changes to Windows that would impair the performance of competitors' software!  But, he said, Microsoft will only do this if it believes it is acting "in the best interest of Windows users."  Do you believe Microsoft acts in its users best interests?

Here is the link of the article if anyone wants to read it.  It's on the NY times which requires registration but go to http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html?url=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/26/technology/26SOFT.html
which will randomly enter junk for the registration and let you immediately read the article.  I was greatly angered when I read it and I wonder why people continue put up with Microsoft and its clearly illegal and immoral business acts.

badkarma

• VIP
game-related idea
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2002, 17:41 »
X11 -> run updatedb
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

badkarma

• VIP
game-related idea
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2002, 17:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Garden GNOME:
I applaud the effort put into wine, but it would be better if we could convince software developers that Windows is an inferior development platform, due to the fact that the kernel is closed source and the Windows development tools are pricey and inferior to those in Linux.  Also, if that doesn't convice them maybe they should realize that Microsoft isn't playing fair with them.  A Microsoft executive recently told a judge that Microsoft should have the right to make changes to Windows that would impair the performance of competitors' software!  But, he said, Microsoft will only do this if it believes it is acting "in the best interest of Windows users."  Do you believe Microsoft acts in its users best interests?

Here is the link of the article if anyone wants to read it.  It's on the NY times which requires registration but go to http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html?url=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/26/technology/26SOFT.html
which will randomly enter junk for the registration and let you immediately read the article.  I was greatly angered when I read it and I wonder why people continue put up with Microsoft and its clearly illegal and immoral business acts.

The problem for bussiness who write consumer level software is that right now there just isn't enough of a market for them to actually make a profit on the development of the software. I do however believe that in due time this will change (linux is winning a lot of ground on the desktop afaict), but right now linux is in a vicious circle concerning the desktop. Not enough consumers using linux means not enough bussinesses porting their software to linux which is a deterrant for a lot of average pc users to try linux (this and their general obliviousness to the very existance of linux due to the M$ marketing machine)
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

gnomez

game-related idea
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2002, 23:15 »
There would be a Linux market if Microsoft wasn't such a monopoly.  Here's the plan: Since M$ Office is the standard that everybody in the office environment must have due to the necessity of "compatibility," force Microsoft to port their applications to other operating systems, namely Linux.  Businesses will quickly adopt Linux for its stability and cost (free) and will instantly give Linux a huge user base.  Other companies will follow suit, realeasing their business/office/graphic design applications for Linux.  This will create an avelanche effect and bring about an OS revolution.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
game-related idea
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2002, 23:30 »
Maybe in buisness. But I don't think the change would occur overnight.

The Linux desktop has to get to the point were it's as usable as windoze or the MacOS (namely OS X).

The common user simply can't be expected to learn the nuances of the command prompt or the complex structure of *NIX.

But perhapse if such a change occurs, it will speed the development of thinks like KDE, which have been progressing by leaps and bounds and become more fully-fetured GUI-OS's with each new release.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Interscope

game-related idea
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2002, 23:43 »
Why aren't companies following Epics Example? They hired Loki Games to make a version of UT for Linux, which is very simple to install. As simple as installing UT in Windoze. You just type a command in the shell, choose where you want it to install, wait and you're done. It's also much faster than the Windoze version(Same speed on a Linuxed P166 64mbram S3 vision 968 as on a Windozed PII350 128mbram i740)
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

gnomez

game-related idea
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2002, 00:18 »
KDE 3.0 is, for me, extremely user friendly, but I see what you mean.  Linux for instance has a daunting amount of config programs that should be condensed and have redundency eliminated.  However, command prompt usage is quickly becoming something easy to avoid.  In fact, in SuSE Linux 8.0 I haven't needed the command prompt for anything, although I use it sometimes because it is and always will be the fastest way to perform certain tasks.  I have to say Yast2 and the improved KDE control panel make gui-configuring very easy for the most part!

Edit: Besides, at the rate Linux is improving on the desktop in terms of functionality and ease of use, I wouldn't be surprised if it became "Homer Simpson-proof" within a year or so.  Anyway, Linux may always be for more technical people since it IS designed by geeks.   ;)   Mac OS X may always be the more user-friendly version of UNIX but that doesn't mean they can't coexist perfectly well!  At least Linux doesn't pretend to be easier to use like Winblows XP, the likes of which made me pull my hair out trying to set up a simple network, when Linux allowed me to configure it easily during installation.

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: Garden GNOME ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
game-related idea
« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2002, 05:42 »
Don't you go messin' with my config files!!! That's what ELX Linux is for, registry and all. You can have it. If RedHat and Debian ever take this route I'm switching to Windows!

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

gnomez

game-related idea
« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2002, 05:49 »
That's what's so great about Linux... there are easy to use distributions for newbies and there are advanced versions for hackers and tweakers.  I don't expect or want Debian or Red Hat to change their ways; I think there should always be more advanced distributions for people to move to. (unlike XP, where the pro version is just as dumbed down as the home version)