Author Topic: Help getting linux  (Read 764 times)

f00kerz

• Kudos: 0
Help getting linux
« on: 20 May 2002, 22:14 »
Hi i wanna get a linux distro as soon as possible but all the techie talk, makes me back of a bit.....any free distro will do just so i can get comfy with linux before i buy a major distro....any ideas or advice ?      :(    :mad:    :confused:

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Help getting linux
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2002, 22:28 »
don't bother ever buying anything, just download or get a copy of whatever linux software you want, and if you like it, make a donation to the company or charoty that is responsible for that distribution. You don't say where you are in the world, so recommanding mailorder is difficult, i heard of a good US based one, but cannot remember what it is, here is a similar service in England: www.yourlinux.co.uk these guys download full linux distributions and i think some other systems and software using their broadband connection, then sell the CDs at cost price, a few quid per order and so on.
If you have broadband yourself, just download a full distro yourself, try going to www.linuxiso.com for a few ideas on which one to get, and also for some installation documents.
The good thing about getting and installing linux is that nobody will charge you for it, you just use it, then you make any contributions, money or skills, that you want to. Good luck, and i hope you enjoy using linux!  :D
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

hoojchoons

• http://www.linux.gr
Help getting linux
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2002, 03:06 »
Don't back up before you even try anything. Things will be a bit confusing at first, when you start using Linux but you'll be generously rewarded for the time you will have invested  ;) . You don't even have to buy a distro if you don't want to. Just download one and as Calum pointed out, make a contribution to the distributor or directly to the GNU community. As for the distros out there, you have so many options it would be rather unfair to distinguish some. If you want ease of use though go with one of the major distros like Mandrake (version 8.2) or SuSE Linux 8.0 or RedHat. They're all great distros... Anyway, good luck with using Linux  ;)

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Help getting linux
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2002, 12:55 »
I actually did purchase my first distro of linux, due mainly to the fact that my internet connection at the time was very slow, and at the time I did not have a cd burner. The distro only cost me $10 and it was worth every penny. I figured what the hell, the money can go to improving linux.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

hoojchoons

• http://www.linux.gr
Help getting linux
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2002, 18:29 »
I know exactly what you mean Preacher. I'm still paying for my Linux distros just because I'm still on dial-up. My advise though, was for those who use cable, so it would be far easier to download a distro of their choice  ;)

creedon

Help getting linux
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2002, 20:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
don't bother ever buying anything, just download or get a copy of whatever linux software you want, and if you like it, make a donation to the company or charoty that is responsible for that distribution. You don't say where you are in the world, so recommanding mailorder is difficult, i heard of a good US based one, but cannot remember what it is, here is a similar service in England: www.yourlinux.co.uk these guys download full linux distributions and i think some other systems and software using their broadband connection, then sell the CDs at cost price, a few quid per order and so on.
If you have broadband yourself, just download a full distro yourself, try going to www.linuxiso.com for a few ideas on which one to get, and also for some installation documents.
The good thing about getting and installing linux is that nobody will charge you for it, you just use it, then you make any contributions, money or skills, that you want to. Good luck, and i hope you enjoy using linux!   :D  

I'm gonna disagree with you.  I ALWAYS pay for my distro.  The cost isn't anywhere near what MS charges for their products, and a lot of the companies that produce them are really shoestring operations.  They've got to eat, pay bills, have shelter and whatnot too, so I don't object to paying a reasonable amount for their product.  If we users don't support or favorite distros, they won't be able to continue in business.  By paying for your distro, you actually support the whole Linux community.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Help getting linux
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2002, 22:46 »
yes, yes, yes, i am not saying you shouldn't pay for it, i am only saying, you can try it and then pay for it if it was worth it, i am also saying that people can pay according to when they can, and how much they can afford. I am mainly saying, isn't that a good idea? i am not saying don't pay if you want, i am only saying, this whole setup is another sensible thintg about linux.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism