Author Topic: Can't log onto my network!  (Read 1121 times)

LunchboX

• Kudos: 0
Can't log onto my network!
« on: 24 February 2002, 22:49 »
I thought some of you might be able to help me with my litle Linux problem =].

I installed it a about a year and a half ago (or so it seems) and I really liked it. I liked it so much I reformated my other hard drives on that computers (that ran  windows) and reinstalled Linux so it could have more space =] I realize I could have done it without reformating my hard drive (I really don't know, I'm just guessing) but I didn't know much about Linux at the time (and I still don't, sadly). The main point is, though, I used a 56k modem and it worked fine. Then I got DSL, networked all of my computers so I could share an internet connection, and, well, realized that I don't know how to install a network using Linux.
That's when I realized that I should stop only reading this forum, but also ask questions, talk, and become a member of this little anti-microsoft community   :D .

Basiclly, I'm just asking how to network my Linux computer.

I use Caldera eDesktop 2.4, a D-Link DFE-530TX+ Fast Ethernet 10/100Mbps Adapter, and a D-Link DI-704  router. I use PPPoE.

Sorry if what I wrote is sloppy, I'm really tired, I didn't sleep all night =/

I also heared that only Windows supports PPPoE- I'm not a very big network guru, so I'm not sure. I really I'm wrong  :cool:  

Thanks in advance!

P.S
I really like this little community, I hope I could talk to ya'll later.
Where did my signature go?

badkarma

• VIP
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2002, 23:04 »
http://www.google.com turned up http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
on the query of "linux PPPoE HOWTO"

never underestimate the power of a search engine, they know a lot more then we all combined do  
If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

triston1976

« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2002, 23:23 »
I just run a "man -k ppp" on my linux box and had 15 man pages comeup including an interesting one...

"pppoed.conf    configuration file for pppoe"

I haven't set this up before, but it looks to me like I can setup a pppoe server... I dont see why the client side wouldn't work...

"Shit" Looks like Karma gave you the best advice though that link takes you right to a client side / server side utility...

LunchboX

« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2002, 00:08 »
All right, thanks guys.. I hope it'll work! I'm at a friend's house, so I can't check.. =/

dbl221

« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2002, 03:11 »
I use Mandrake and I also have DSL and a router.  This router allows my wife and my brother in law to also use the Internet on their Windows machines.

The equipment: Router that supports PPPoe and NAT
               NIC
               DSL modem from your ISP

Your router should support and be set up to act as a DHCP server.  RTFM

Each computer on your network must be configured to dynamically obtain an IP from the router...in X-Windows there will be a network config program of some sort....in SuSe just use YAST or YAST2.

There is no need to install any kind of PPPoe software on your Linux Box....it just gets the IP from your router...your ISP assigns your IP to your DSL modem...your router translates all internal private IP addresses like 192.168.*.* into the real IP address from the ISP.......this is NAT ...network address translation.

Summary: internal-host=192.168.123.5
         WAN IP=124.56.89.55
Remember to tell each computer on the internal network to use the DNS name servers your ISP told you to use.

Good Luck    
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

lu666s

• http://www.lumir.net/
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2002, 08:49 »
Correct.

However, the boxen can be setup with a static IP each as well. DHCP may be useful when you don't  care how IPs get assignned or you have LAN of more than 8 -10 boxen. I prefer static IP config cuz if something gets awry, I know exactly where is the problem.
I'm not in favor of senseless Microsoft bashing. I'm in favor of bashing Microsoft senseless.

dbl221

« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2002, 01:11 »
Thats true static IP are better in this situation.

Actually many DHCP servers base the IP they give out on the MAC address so unless you change NIC's a  lot your "dynamic" IP is actually static on tiny home networks.

That said static IP's are the way to go...Im just lazy.    :D
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2002, 02:21 »
All DHCP assigned addresses are based on MAC addresses.  And in DHCP you can force a client to be assigned a specific IP address if you want, and if you change cards you can either change the MAC address for that IP in the DHCP server config or you can actually change the MAC address on the client to match the old card (don't have to use the burned in address but it's advisable, you can run into fun issues if you start having more than one card on your network with the same MAC address).  Having said that, static IP is not dependent on a DHCP server and can be easier because of it.  On the other hand manually assigning the same IP address to two different machine can cause just as big of a problem as having to cards with the same MAC address on your network.  I like using static for my servers on my home network and at work but I use DHCP on the desktops and laptop.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

LunchboX

« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2002, 07:07 »
Grrr... Well I was trying to set it up using DHCP.. To make a long story short, I basiclly can't because my DSL provider forces me to use PPPoE because I need to use a username and password every time I log on =/ I really can't figure out a way around this, maybe if you will you'd be nice enough to post directions on how to do this   :D

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2002, 10:00 »
It looks to me like the link that BadKarma posted should give you the pointers you need.  Did you go to the site and read the information? http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

I have never used Caldera (and I believe the same is true for most of the rest of the Linux people here).  And my provider doesn't use PPPoE so I can't help directly.  I could set up a PPPoE server so I could test how to make the client work but I'm not going to do that.  Do some searching and reading.  And the easiest way might be to do what someone else suggested (get a LinkSys or similar DSL router which will do the PPPoE for you).
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...