Author Topic: mandrake 9.0 ics config tool doesn't work  (Read 1319 times)

ims27_8

• Kudos: 0
mandrake 9.0 ics config tool doesn't work
« on: 14 October 2002, 12:39 »
not only does it not work, it stuffs up my internet conection as well. I can ping outside IP addresses, but can't resolve domain names. Can i just set it up manually somehow? It used to work (in mandrake 8.2). Also, in the network settings window it says that I'm no longer connected to the internet.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2002, 14:48 »
this doesn't bode well.

i am very sorry i do not know the answer to this question, however it makes me a little uneasy since i just ordered mandrake 9.0 myself...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2002, 21:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Reliability of the Redmond Army:
not only does it not work, it stuffs up my internet conection as well. I can ping outside IP addresses, but can't resolve domain names. Can i just set it up manually somehow? It used to work (in mandrake 8.2). Also, in the network settings window it says that I'm no longer connected to the internet.

The DNS resolver configuration is all in the /etc/resolv.conf file (as it is on most Linux/UNIX systems). It should contain the following lines:

Code: [Select]

Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP addresses of your preferred DNS servers. Of course if you are using DHCP this should be created automatically when you are issued an IP address.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2002, 21:21 »
void main, your concise snappy answers are just what the faq needs.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2002, 22:56 »

ims27_8

« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2002, 05:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
Code: [Select]

Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP addresses of your preferred DNS servers. Of course if you are using DHCP this should be created automatically when you are issued an IP address.[/b]

I use DHCP, and the file is there. However it has the search part after the 2 DNS servers (both of which i can successfully ping). I still get "an error occurred while trying to connect to www.anything.com.

ims27_8

« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2002, 05:43 »
and when i disable it (ics) in mandrake control centre, i can use the internet again (this post written in Konqeuror)   :confused:

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2002, 06:05 »
quote:
and when i disable it (ics) in mandrake control centre, i can use the internet again (this post written in Konqeuror)    :confused:  

I'm sorry, I missed the key part "ics". Sorry I am not familiar with this in Mandrake. I assume it is just a graphical configuration for IP-MASQ, something I have always done manually. Sounds like it must not be adding the proper iptables (firewall) rules.

ims27_8

« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2002, 06:27 »
oh, sorry about that, it's called connection sharing, it's a graphical thingy (nice technical term there   ) that lets you share an internet connection over a network. You can do automatic configuration, or do it manually (i'll get some screenshots).

http://members.optushome.com.au/bobsyouruncle27/1.png
http://members.optushome.com.au/bobsyouruncle27/2.png

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2002, 06:58 »
quote:
oh, sorry about that, it's called connection sharing, it's a graphical thingy (nice technical term there       ) that lets you share an internet connection over a network. You can do automatic configuration, or do it manually (i'll get some screenshots).

http://members.optushome.com.au/bobsyouruncle27/1.png
http://members.optushome.com.au/bobsyouruncle27/2.png

Not having used this tool I would use the configuration example in your second screen shot. What it appear this *should* do is configure your machine as a DHCP server, it should also configure it as a DNS server, it should also configure it as  a router/firewall (IP-MASQ/IP-FORWARD using iptables).

Now if this is what you did, and you can ping outside machines by address and not by name then that would indicate that it has not properly configured your machine as a DNS server. If your machine is configured as a DNS server you should have "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in your /etc/resolv.conf and you should have your DNS service started.

However, you *should not* have to configure your local machine as a DNS server, you should be able to point to your providers DNS server which should configure your DHCP clients with your provider's DNS server addresses. If using your provider's DNS server your ICS server and client both should be pointed to your provider.

But like I said, I have never used this utility so I don't know for sure how it works other than I'm sure it does the same things I do manually.

Things you could do to test. Use "ping" on both your server and your clients to see if you can reach by address a machine on the internet. Then try to ping by name. If you can ping by address then your IP-MASQ is working properly. If you can not ping my name then check the resolv.conf on the server, check the resolv.conf on your clients (or "ipconfig /all" in WinNT/2K/XP, winipcfg in 9x).

If it appears your resolver is configured properly then it may be a firewall issue. iptables may be configured to block port 53 traffic (DNS). Check your "rc.firewall" in this case (or post it).

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2002, 07:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
void main, your concise snappy answers are just what the faq needs.

And he was the one who came up with the idea, too! Void Main, I urge you to write some F.A.Q's and email them to me/calum!

voidmain

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2002, 07:31 »
Well, I'm not one that likes to rewrite what's already been written. There are already FAQs written for almost everything out on the net. I think you guys have a great start so far though. I like the looks of the faq site and it's going to be great to be able to point people to the site when they've asked a FAQ question.

Of course the content will need some refining based on how confused the people are that read the FAQ. But that's how it gets better. I think you have already covered most of the really frequently asked questions. I might suggest plagiarizing some existing faqs but add a link to the bottom of the answer to the FAQ that it came from. Keep up the good work!