Author Topic: i need a linux modem  (Read 743 times)

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
i need a linux modem
« on: 5 October 2002, 18:05 »
Yeah, thats pretty much it, i need a modem that will work with linux mandrake or Lycoris.  I want to go online with either OS.  Trouble is i cannot find anybody who sells a modem that is compatible with nix.

I go to sites and they include poor descriptions or just say "compatible" or as for most of them its for windows.
I know about internals and i don't buy them anyway, i have got myself an external (3 years old)but it is unsupported by any of the distros that i know of.  That btw is a creative modem, i've been to their site and they just do ms drivers.

Since most of you guys run nix i suppose you could tell me first hand.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
i need a linux modem
« Reply #1 on: 5 October 2002, 18:17 »
Any external serial modem would do the job but if I were you I'd get me a US Robotics one.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

i need a linux modem
« Reply #2 on: 5 October 2002, 18:18 »
are they well supported?

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
i need a linux modem
« Reply #3 on: 5 October 2002, 18:56 »
I had a USR 56K serial one and it worked great. However you could always do a Google search and see what you'll come up with OR visit the distributors webpage and look it up in their supported hardware database  

DC

• Kudos: 0
i need a linux modem
« Reply #4 on: 5 October 2002, 19:08 »
AFAIK any modem will work with Linux (software modems aren't modems). External modems are almost always 'true' modems. Some internals are, too.

There isn't really any support for modems in Linux, as in there aren't drivers. Not that you need it - all you need (afaik) is a kernel with PPP and serial port support compiled in (which is pretty damn standard and not even hard to do yourself). All additional programs (like dialers) you might need need are standard in every distro.

If you have the kernel, you could just write the approprate strings to /dev/modem (or the serial port) and you'd be on. Since that is a very sick way to connect, ppl have made easy-to-use dialers (like kppp) to automate this, making it as easy as any windows (well, easier - you don't need to install drivers. I still don't know why windows needs modem drivers btw).
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
i need a linux modem
« Reply #5 on: 5 October 2002, 21:13 »
i recently got a modem that works fine with both windows ME and mandrake linux, i found the page at http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/latest.cgi was incredibly helpful. Also, read the page at http://start.at/modem for further info.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

creedon

i need a linux modem
« Reply #6 on: 5 October 2002, 21:49 »
I use a US Robotics 56k sportster external modem; it works perfectly for Linux; the one's that will give you a hard time are SOFTWARE (Win) modems.  It doesn't really matter if the modem is internal or external, as long as it's not driven by a proprietary software driver that will only run on a MS operating system; the easiest way to tell is price; Winmodems are cheap, but you get what you pay for.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

XxD

i need a linux modem
« Reply #7 on: 5 October 2002, 23:27 »
hey!!! i have an external creative labs modem too! and it works wif mandrake.. BUT i need to get pengaol to work.. so i can go on teh interbullnet!

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

i need a linux modem
« Reply #8 on: 6 October 2002, 02:04 »
Hmmm okay thanks for that.  So if i assume here one thing, i buy Mandrake 9, you saying that the kernel pretty much "knows" what it is and it just use it along with kppp or dialers?

I'm using build 51 of lycoris right now if anybody cares to show me how to do it.  Also would i not need some ISP that supports linux?

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Crunchy(Cracked)Butter ]

Great_Satan

i need a linux modem
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2003, 02:56 »
Does anyone kow what kind of power supply you need with a US Robotics model 0701 56k external modem?  I just bought one for $24.95 from a pawn shop.  The lowest price I've seen on the internet is $99 for one.  A US Robotics 28.8k external modem with a 20 VAC 10 MA power supply plugged into it was next to the 56k modem in the pawn shop.  Would that type of power supply work with the 56k modem?

st1d

i need a linux modem
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2003, 21:34 »
Any reputable manufacturer (I'm assuming USR, too), will have a symbol by the power plugin (I think its a UL thing) that is basically a dot and a half circle with a stem.  Near there should be a power rating.  One should be volts, one should be amps.  match them   The dot/half-circle will tell you the polarity.  If you have an electronics store near you, take the modem in to them, and they'll be able to match it easily, for no charge.  If you're in the US, it should be around $10 or less for such a plug.  This works for just about everything electrical, btw, so have them explain it to you to save you time and effort in the future.