Author Topic: New Microsoft Virus...  (Read 960 times)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
New Microsoft Virus...
« on: 11 June 2003, 16:02 »
... Checker!

Haha, Microsoft are venturing into the anti-virus market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2980936.stm

Think what you will.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2003, 17:48 »
i'm saying nothing. except to quote the BBC article:  
quote:
Microsoft's decision could be red rag to a bull for virus writers
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

HibbeeBoy

• Kudos: 0
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2003, 20:36 »
Quote"People think it is ironic that they could be getting fixes from the company that built the problems into the software in the first place,"

IRONIC ?!! FFS, more like LUDICROUS.

And yet their stock still rises, I don't understand this part of it. Anybody with their eye on technology trends must surely see that M$ is now entering into a period of little or no growth and eventually declining revenue. Who the fuck is buying their stock ?
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2003, 22:04 »
This is both circular and contradictory. How can they be in a period of no growth, if their stocks are rising?

HibbeeBoy

New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2003, 22:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
This is both circular and contradictory. How can they be in a period of no growth, if their stocks are rising?

I can't remember where I read it exactly but it was pretty recent, last couple of weeks but analysts were predicting that M$ were heading into a period of no growth. This was in part due to existing customers dabbling with Linux and corporations balking at the licensing gun being held to their head and a slow uptake of the flagship/sinking ship XP. I think it's entirely possible that this could be the case. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part but it does make sense.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Laukev7

• VIP
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2003, 01:03 »
Hmmmm, antivirus. Shouldn't Microsoft be afraid that their own OS get detected by the antivirus?   :D

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2003, 02:12 »
. . . and then to repair it the software turnes you OS into Linux.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

ChakanTGM

• http://crackice.cjb.net
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2003, 08:02 »
SCOs stock is rising too. All the better, cause when they both fall it'll be with a HUGE BANG!
crackice.cjb.net

Faust

New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2003, 08:09 »
LOL.  It won't work, they will end up "integrating" the virus checker into the OS, which will make it even easier for new viruses to attack and disable the virus scanner (ala code red / nimda) or simply subvert it.  Oh and it's perfectly normal for a company to sell stock while going through no growth.  What you have to realise is that the stock market has little or no relevance to reality, except of course it lets soul-less marketing whores fuck us over.  For example witness how lots of companies lay off workers and close stores only to gain in stock value.  (People associate less workers with "less running costs.")  Also note that I could buy stock in Enron or Pan Pac Pharmeceuticals if I wanted to.  I would be stupid, but I could.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2003, 08:46 »
quote:
In the mid-nineties Microsoft had a brief flirtation with an anti-virus product which it bundled with the Windows operating system.

"It was a disastrous flop and couldn't detect the viruses," said Mr Cluley.

And that's all you need to know really.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Laukev7

• VIP
New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #10 on: 12 June 2003, 08:59 »
Silly me. Obviously, if business people are stupid enough to use their products in the first place, when free or better alternatives exist, many would be boneheaded enough to buy M$ stock, even when its value decreases.

They still haven't learnt ANYTHING. Will they ever REALISE that integrating software in the low levels of the system makes it even more insecure than it already is?

The scariest is that they probably do it on purpose. Great excuse to integrate Palladium and rob our freedom.

Darkheim

New Microsoft Virus...
« Reply #11 on: 12 June 2003, 10:14 »
Look at the bright side: integrating an antivirus in the OS will make that OS more voulnerable and difficult to dissinfect...so they'll have to delete the entire OS along with the virus and then reinstall, and reinstall...and  :D
In a free and open society, why would we need Windows or Gates?!