Author Topic: Some ideas on Linux  (Read 534 times)

fvr79

• Kudos: 0
Some ideas on Linux
« on: 9 January 2004, 01:35 »
I've been using RedHat9 for some weeks now and I really like some of the Linux features, but there are also lots of problems. I couldn't make my scanner work, I looked on the internet and, maybe I'm an idiot, but the solutions given there where way beyond my understanding. Complicated files editing, weird commands and so on. Things I do in Windows with a few mouse clicks(and Mac it's also quite easy installing new hardware). Why is it so complicated, is Linux only for experts? That would mean it's not really a desktop OS, it's only for servers and I'm wasting my time with it. I also tried updating my kernel .Tried everything in the Readme file that came with the kernel pack, nothing worked in the end, after wasting 3 hours.
My modem didn't work, I couldn't connect to the internet. I downloaded a driver for my Intel modem, installed it, the modem sounds like it connects but it actually doesn't, no web page loads.
There are also things I like about Linux, many nice applications, it's almost impossible to get viruses(but what's the use of this if I can't connect to the internet?)
So I have to dual boot and use Windows for many things I can't do with Linux, until I learn more about it, at least. I also hate the sick paranoic greed of Mr.Gates, and that Microsoft is becoming a monster which swallows everything around. I would love to give up Windows and use 100% Linux. But I can't, Windows works where Linux doesn't.
And I wonder, why don't Linux makers and Linux distro's sellers campaign more at hardware producers to make drivers for Linux too, as they make drivers for Windows and Mac? Drivers made by producer work best. Linux drivers shouldn't be written by independent programmers, they should be written by hardware producers, in order to work. Imagine Windows with no drivers, it would be much worse than Linux. My modem and scanner work because the producers made drivers for them, not because of Microsoft. Why don't Linux supporters and coders campaign and presure the hardware producers to make Linux drivers instead of imagining they're so smart they can make all the drivers themselves? And thinking that, because they're smart, it's useless to make Linux easy, everything should be as long and complicated as it gets so as they can laugh at the "suckers" who don't understand those long command line parameters? It's a pitty really, Linux has great potential, but it should be made for ordinary users too and not only for "experts".

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Some ideas on Linux
« Reply #1 on: 9 January 2004, 02:13 »
Your modem didnt work, so how did you download a driver? As for complicated, maybe you shouldnt have tried to upgrade your kernel on the first day you ever used linux. By the way how did you download the kernel? As for that bullshit you spewed about linux not working, linux does work, why not instead of coming here whining about how microsoft works and linux doesn't, you ask questions on how to get linux working correctly.

It sounds to me like you started using linux today and thought you were going to be a hotshot installing a new kernel and knowing everything in the first two minutes. Well guess what? No OS is that easy. Im sure when you first layed your eyes on Microsoft Windows, you were just as confused, I know i was.

Finally that paragraph you wrote was horrible. I hate run on sentences. I also hate huge blockish paragraphs. Try a little better next time.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Some ideas on Linux
« Reply #2 on: 9 January 2004, 02:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by ThePreacher:
Your modem didnt work, so how did you download a driver? As for complicated, maybe you shouldnt have tried to upgrade your kernel on the first day you ever used linux. By the way how did you download the kernel? As for that bullshit you spewed about linux not working, linux does work, why not instead of coming here whining about how microsoft works and linux doesn't, you ask questions on how to get linux working correctly.

It sounds to me like you started using linux today and thought you were going to be a hotshot installing a new kernel and knowing everything in the first two minutes. Well guess what? No OS is that easy. Im sure when you first layed your eyes on Microsoft Windows, you were just as confused, I know i was.

Finally that paragraph you wrote was horrible. I hate run on sentences. I also hate huge blockish paragraphs. Try a little better next time.

Well done Preacher, I didn't even read it. The punctuation was too horrific/mystifying.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

fvr79

• Kudos: 0
Some ideas on Linux
« Reply #3 on: 9 January 2004, 03:05 »
I downloaded the modem driver from linmodems.org(it's an intel ham modem with 536ep chipset).
And please stop analysing my phrasing, I'm not a native english speaker&my english isn't so good either. It's not a reason to insult me.
When I said weeks, I meant about 10 or so, so I'm not so very new. And I really want to update my kernel cause I hope the new one will get my scanner working, it's not just a whim. If anyone could tell me how to upgrade kernel on RedHat 9 with a tar.gz packed kernel(I don't have it in .rpm)of course I'd be really grateful.

Sure it was hard learning Windows, but not that hard,it's easier learning mouseclicks than long commands. But I'm giving my best to learn using Linux, why do you think I kept it on my hard drive? If I thought it sucks I would have deleted it, but I do want to learn using Linux, I like the way it looks, I like KWord, I like the K interface and all the stuff, I even like when I write a command and it works. In these two months I've learnt more about computers than  all the years using Windows. But sometimes Linux is too hard to configure(especially when installing new hardware)and it's becoming a bit frustrating. For me, at least.

Commander

• Kudos: 52
Some ideas on Linux
« Reply #4 on: 9 January 2004, 03:07 »
quote:
but it should be made for ordinary users too and not only for "experts"
believe it or not, (since it looks like u've already made up ur mind) Linus created Linux so we can have a powerful unix like '"DESKTOP"' os. linux is not only for the experts..... hell i use it and i should know.

and the thing about how driver programmers for linux doesnt push the manufacturer to make drivers for linux because they think they are too good... what the heck is that ?? i use sane with my scanner and believe me the software for linux works BETTER then the thing they gave me for windows.  that's right.  the linux driver and software is twice(if not more) as fast and convenient. so no longer do i believe "Drivers made by producer work best."  programmers that code linux drivers are just as, if not more talented.

and if u r having problems, it;s best to try to solve it instead of complaining... all of us had to start somewhere and if all just complained, we'd be still using that sorry excuse of an OS.
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Some ideas on Linux
« Reply #5 on: 9 January 2004, 03:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by fvr79:
I downloaded the modem driver from linmodems.org(it's an intel ham modem with 536ep chipset).
And please stop analysing my phrasing, I'm not a native english speaker&my english isn't so good either. It's not a reason to insult me.
When I said weeks, I meant about 10 or so, so I'm not so very new. And I really want to update my kernel cause I hope the new one will get my scanner working, it's not just a whim. If anyone could tell me how to upgrade kernel on RedHat 9 with a tar.gz packed kernel(I don't have it in .rpm)of course I'd be really grateful.

Sure it was hard learning Windows, but not that hard,it's easier learning mouseclicks than long commands. But I'm giving my best to learn using Linux, why do you think I kept it on my hard drive? If I thought it sucks I would have deleted it, but I do want to learn using Linux, I like the way it looks, I like KWord, I like the K interface and all the stuff, I even like when I write a command and it works. In these two months I've learnt more about computers than  all the years using Windows. But sometimes Linux is too hard to configure(especially when installing new hardware)and it's becoming a bit frustrating. For me, at least.

Try the FAQ
and
this from voidmain
Contains scenes of mild peril.