Author Topic: Linux & Partitions  (Read 445 times)

ForceSphere

• Kudos: 0
Linux & Partitions
« on: 1 March 2003, 22:25 »
Okay everytime i've install a version of linux i've either had it on the first partition or on a whole other hard drive.  My question is, say that i make a second partition on a windows machine, then install Linux on partition #2.  Will GRUB or LILO run off of the 2nd partition to boot the computer or will it just go straight into windows?

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Linux & Partitions
« Reply #1 on: 2 March 2003, 00:07 »
GRUB or LILO lives on the master boot record of the first hard drive.  This area is outside any partitions.  

You can put linux on any partition of any drive.
GRUB or LILO will live on the MBR of the first drive and allow you to choose which OS you boot to.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

ForceSphere

• Kudos: 0
Linux & Partitions
« Reply #2 on: 2 March 2003, 00:51 »
Sweet, thanks.  I thought i was going to have to use a bootlegged copy of Partition Magic 8 which comes with a boot manager of it's own (never tried it but i hear it sucks mega cock and balls)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Linux & Partitions
« Reply #3 on: 3 March 2003, 20:37 »
that's what i heard too.
grub and lilo do give you the choice of installing at the start of the partition but you really should stick whichever one you are using in the MBR right enough. and make bootdisks for when you need to reinstall windows and it overwrites your MBR without asking you.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism