Author Topic: OpenOffice Compatablity with (ick)XP Office  (Read 1010 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
OpenOffice Compatablity with (ick)XP Office
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2002, 13:30 »
i did not flame. is that seriously how you saw my comments? pathetic. Beltorak, you do not have sole control over a topic that you start on a public forum. If you want people not to discuss on a public discussion board then maybe you should start your own and not tell anybody about it.

void main, while it is the sender's responsibility to insure the receiver can read the files, consider my example above, my girlfriend sent her editor jpegs and text files. he complained he had had 'a great deal of trouble' with them on his mac, and demanded word documents instead. This is why word format is a standard, real, imaginary or whatever. This is the real world.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2002, 15:29 »
Sorry, but word documents are *not* a standard, no matter how many people use them. And saying that openoffice is crap because it doesn't support word docs is like saying the Linux kernel is crap because it doesn't support Windows executables which abound everwhere.

You could consider using postscript/pdf?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2002, 17:32 »
i did NOT i repeat NOT ever say that openoffice was crap. Did i? no.

Also, i am saying that Microsoft's formats are a de facto standard, which you cannot deny. We have got to the point where we are arguing about the definition of 'standard' which is moot anyway since we are not even talking about the same thing.

re: other formats, for my example this point is com[pletely irrelevant. My girlfriend sent text files and jpeg files. These are some of the most widely recognised, ultra portable data formats ever used in computers. The editor receiving those files complained that he couldn't open them and asked for word documents, as i said. when dealing with this sort of mindlessness, anything is possible. THIS IS THE REAL WORLD, as i think i said before.

I agree with you 100% however i am just saying that the world is run on bullshit, by dumbasses.

flap

• Kudos: 137
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2002, 18:07 »
Well you did suggest that it 'sucked' but nevermind...

If he couldn't open text files and jpegs then I think that problem will have been more related to his ability to deal with opening multiple files. Obviously he's either lazy or stupid. If he just had one pdf he could open that as easily as one word doc.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 11 October 2002, 18:27 »
yeah, but he's the editor of a website (yes i know, websites are made of text and jpegs DOH!) so him getting a pdf would be (in my opinion) useless. He's obviously a lazy stupid fuckwit.

Also, i suggested that openoffice sucked more than people said it did, which is simply because i have openoffice.org 1.0 and everybody seems to be raving about 1.01, which by all accounts is a lot better. Not sure if this is actually the case, but i'll find out once i get it. See? I am still buying (well