Author Topic: Does anyone recommend Lindows?  (Read 1445 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
Does anyone recommend Lindows?
« on: 25 July 2003, 02:27 »
Does anyone recommend Lindows as a good Windows replacement? I'm going to try it but am wondering what others think of it.

3eyes

« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2003, 06:26 »
Lindows is actually a pretty good distro but I can't recommend them because of their marketing practices. They exaggerate it's capabilities for one thing. Most of all, unless I've misunderstood greatly, you only get updates and fixes for one year after you buy it. After that you have to pay for membership in their click-n-run warehouse even just to update. Even M$ isn't set up like that(yet).

As a Windows replacement, consider Xandros (deluxe with better Windows app support costs about $90, standard about $35), the latest beta of Lycoris (it even looks like Win XP), or better still, Mandrake.

But I most recommend experimenting with a run-from-cd distro like Knoppix; this will help you learn the basics of using Linux before you install it.

Hope that helps.  
"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

bwid_s_01

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2003, 06:53 »
By the way, Lindows 4.0 is out, so I hope you're basing your judgement of Lindows based on that version, not 3.0.
Now, thing about Lindows as a Windows replacement is that it can supposedly run Windows programs.
Is this true?? Can it run any program designed for Windows? I dont get how would that even be possible since most Windows programs check your OS during setup. Please explain if you know how this works.

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2003, 21:58 »
if im remembering correctly lindows almost embeds wine or something similar.
ive used it and i felt dirty using it. i cant explain any better than that.
i would definatley suggest lycros for an xp user to crossover with. also the suggestion of boot-from-cd distros is very good for any first timers.
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Faust

« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2003, 12:10 »
It cant run _all_ windows programs, if they claim they can just view it as marketing.  Mandrake and other distros have wine as well - as does Knoppix for that matter.
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2003, 12:52 »
If yer gonna pay for something, get SuSE 8.2 Pro.  Its Cool.  Comes with Wine, and some other.....(trailing off to a quiet mumble)

3eyes

« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2003, 04:20 »
No, I haven't used Lindows 4.0; it only came out just recently. However, they haven't changed their policy about only being allowed to download updates for a year after the purchase as far as I know.

As  to how it works using Windows programs, you choose which Windows version you wish to emulate - 3.1, 95 or 98. So when you install something that checks, it will appear to be the version you selected.

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: 3eyes ]

"Microsoft is a marketing company, not a software company" - Bill Gates

"I don't really support piracy but I am dead serious about consumer rights" - bwid_s_01

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 1 August 2003, 01:52 »
to answer the question, anybody who uses lindows wasted their time and money. they should have used Lycoris Desktop instead. i'll say no more, those who have the inclination know the URL for google.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Panther's gf

• http://www.disordinialimentari.org
« Reply #8 on: 6 August 2003, 22:00 »
Yes, I would not suggest Lindows... The reviews and the other things i've read about it were quite negative. Get a few downloads for your distro - and then PAY for everything you get. It has a taste of "lets make money out of those windows users who aren't yet comfortable enough with linux but want to switch..".

I moved from Windowses to Redhat and it created no major problems, years ago. Then Mandrake (which felt more windows like and less professional9, then Debian which I like a lot .. and then said a total goodbye for Windows.

If I still was a pc user, I'd goo for Redhat or Debian - and if the pc was p2 400 mhz / 6 GB HD or anything better, if thinking i might still have a use for windows I maybe left it in one partition. But sure, no Lindows.

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2003, 00:29 »
Lindows is a stupid walmart operating system
All your base are belong to us.

Windows_SuX_@$$

« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2003, 00:40 »
Fuck Lindows

Get Mandrake, SuSe, RedHat

Lindows is walmart
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2003, 21:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by bwid_s_01:
Does anyone recommend Lindows as a good Windows replacement? I'm going to try it but am wondering what others think of it.

No! if you want a good windows replacement get SuSE

SuSE Desktop  This version can run many windows programs by means of a package called "Cross Overs"

It's mainly designed for MS Office but can run alot of other stuff, the Package is built off of the wine project.

Enmity

« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2003, 14:21 »
I not here to suggest any distro but:
XPde (XP-like Desktop Environment)

And Lindows...no.
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2003, 00:00 »
if xpde looks like your thing, try out lycoris desktop as well, they are soon to release a new version (3.1).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2003, 22:34 »
I would not.  Lindows is just another walmart operatin system.
All your base are belong to us.