Author Topic: Linux Linked to MyDoom  (Read 782 times)

The Anti-Microsoft

• Kudos: 0
    • http://slashdot.org
Linux Linked to MyDoom
« on: 6 February 2004, 08:33 »
quote:
It's usually no easier to fathom the motives of virus creators than it is of any other perpetrator of damage for damage's sake.

Deep in the darkness of the psyche, vandals and arsonists no doubt have their reasons - and so, presumably, do the run-of-the-mill geeks who wreak damage on the unsuspecting computer user.

It's just that the reasoning isn't easy for most of the rest of us to understand.

Patenting Linux

But, in the case of the MyDoom computer worm, the motivation seems clearer.

It has attacked a company based in Utah called SCO, bringing down its website with a barrage of data sent from countless computers into which the worm had been insinuated, unbeknownst to the users.

There seems little doubt that SCO was targeted - illegally and unacceptably, lest anyone be in any doubt - because it has enraged many people devoted to the Linux operating system.

Two years ago, SCO claimed that it owned more than 800,000 lines of the system which had always been available for free and to anyone since its invention in 1991.

On top of that, SCO has sued IBM, accusing it of infringing on SCO intellectual property in the way it uses Linux.

For good measure, SCO is seeking at least a billion dollars from IBM.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3457823.stm

A [Windows] virus traced to Linux?  I never would've guessed.   :rolleyes:

[ February 05, 2004: Message edited by: Anonymous Coward ]

Mistshadow

Linux Linked to MyDoom
« Reply #1 on: 6 February 2004, 10:00 »
I've already sent them an email expressing my feelings about that story. "Story" is an apt name, come to think of it.
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Linux Linked to MyDoom
« Reply #2 on: 7 February 2004, 01:15 »
I wouldn't doubt if a Linux fan wrote Mydoom.

After all, SCO deserved it.  They're trying to take away the last bit of liberty left in the computing world, making the whole concept of computing about corporate profits.  Darl McBride is such a wanker.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Mistshadow

Linux Linked to MyDoom
« Reply #3 on: 7 February 2004, 06:48 »
Yeah, but they make it sound like we're all in on it.   :rolleyes:
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." - Eric Clapton

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Linux Linked to MyDoom
« Reply #4 on: 7 February 2004, 17:37 »
Your not in on it? Who cares what they say, Linux is one kid growing and growing, and he also is one prick when he wants to be. In the playground, Linux owns that little SCO barsted child good and proper.

Karma will ownz0r SCO.