Author Topic: Just did Debian...  (Read 369 times)

poloktim

• Kudos: 0
Just did Debian...
« on: 11 February 2003, 12:08 »
I've finally got myself a copy of Debian. Installed it (dual boot with xp) and my NIC isn't supported, I couldn't install the window manager I wanted and was stuck with kde, my resolution is stuck on something tiny (I think 800x600 but it could even be *gasp*640x480), and the sound doesn't work.

I've got the answer to the sound + nic problem. Buy new cards. That I'm fine with. I need my nic to be able to download fluxbox (which was supposed to be on the cds) so that I can't help. How about my resolution. Any way to change that?

I'm going to perservere to use this. I'll endure it all. Being able to use multiple os' is a good thing to have on my cv.

Please help me. Thank you.

JH

• Kudos: 0
Just did Debian...
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2003, 13:05 »
Try running Standart SVGA non-accelerated server. If your video card isn't odd and can act as a standart SVGA and it has enough memory on board, it could be fine though slow. What card do you have, by the way?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Just did Debian...
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2003, 13:40 »
poloktim, first thing i would do is run 'xf86config' as root, it's a program that will write a new X config file for you.

before you do that, look for your current XF86Config file. it's probably at /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/XF86Config and rename it by adding .bak or .old to its name. This way you can have a look at the old file and at the new one and copy and paste any bits you like from the old one into the new one when you're finished. Also, if you duff up, you just need to rename your original XF86Config file back to its original name to get back your original configuration.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism