Author Topic: having problems installing linux/win98  (Read 394 times)

hnugz

• Kudos: 0
having problems installing linux/win98
« on: 31 May 2002, 01:28 »
I just bought a new computer with 2 hard drives to install win98 and linux.  I downloaded the Mandrake ISO's and stuck them on CD's.  How exactly should I go about installing these?  Install windows first?  I've had to reformat multiple times since I started and it is becoming frustrating.  Once I finally was able to get linux to install (I had to start with CD #2 for some reason) and tried to boot it up I just got some error message.  I'm not sure if I have my partitioning right or what.  I am about to try and reinstall linux now and I will copy the errors if it happens again.

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
having problems installing linux/win98
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2002, 01:33 »
Welcome to the Microsoft Eradication Society!

It should be impossible to start installation from the second CD, perhaps you marked the CDs in the wrong order.
 Install windows fisrt because windows will overwrite the master boot record if you install Linux first. Then install Linux, linux comes with a boot loader that will let you be able to choose between windows and linux at startup. The installer will be very helpful to you about this.

I find the Linux installer a lot easier than windows. I am looking at a windows installer right now, and this is the second time i tried to install it.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'