Author Topic: Anti linux Laptop  (Read 908 times)

Uipe

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.felisberto.com
Anti linux Laptop
« on: 2 January 2004, 07:43 »
Oki ppl just a stupid question but anyone knows why the hell my computer crashs when trying to load the instalation program with almost all the big Linux distros? every thing find until it's time to load X, I just wanted a simple thing but NO I had to by an oem laptop and now I have to spend ours configuring my Linux box (Using Gentoo).

Don't take me wrong I love Gentoo but in my laptop I just wanted something easear to config...

Any ideias?

ps: tried mandrake, knoppix, Red Hat 9, Fedora you name it...

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #1 on: 2 January 2004, 23:08 »
Linux works best with motherboards that have a nForce chipset.

Now, please tell us the specifications of your laptop, and maybe we can figure out the problem (have you tried Slackware yet? it's not bloated like the rest of the distro's).

[ January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Refalm ]

Uipe

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #2 on: 3 January 2004, 19:07 »
Slackware nop as I said I wanted a simple distro that auto configured every thing by itself but what the hell now it's fast and working grate under gentoo I boot it and start X with glxgears giving me 1700 fps, faster that my friends can even pass the boot sequence in fedora... and there fps are really lower than mine and they are using desktops with really better equipment...

but here go my spec:
board  SiS 645DX+ SiS 962
intel p4 2.6
ati radeon mobility 9000 64m (this was the hardest thing to configure as ati does not suport there mobility products... had to use lots of tricks and parts from other ati drivers... but to be able to have such I fps it's must be run in 24 bits and when I return from X to console it's all messed up in console I'm runing 16b 800x600 may be due to having diferent color dep but it's strage in the same way...)
512 ddr ram
sound: AC"97 2.1 Compliant (using alsa)

runing a 2.4.22 kernel (vanilla source still too newbie to pass to the 2.6)

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Uipe ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #3 on: 4 January 2004, 05:59 »
some of that hardware looks like problem stuff. a lot of machines have this knock 'em out and cut corner's type stuff in. they solve it by bringing out shitware for windows, to cover the problems in the hardware. of course, they don't bring out the shitware for linux (or other systems) meaning drivers for the shitty hardware mustbe developed the long way round by users. this is why your X doesn't work properly withyour video card i would guess. there is probably a fix but personally i don'tknow what it is.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #4 on: 4 January 2004, 12:37 »
Instant Karmas gonna get you!

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #5 on: 4 January 2004, 13:14 »
give FreeBSD a shot, its simple enough. www.freebsd.org
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #6 on: 5 January 2004, 21:38 »
Give freebsd a shot for sho!

It r0cks

Uipe

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #7 on: 6 January 2004, 01:29 »
My kernel now rules ppl hehehehe nothing like hard work caffeine love and lots of search in forums lol yeah I did it I stiked to old "install it all by your self" and managed to put it all working well about freebsd, I am testing LainOS (still just LainWM) so I installed freeBSD under vmware, bahhh lots of hardworking just to discover that the problem is that version 5.1 doesn't work in vmware so I had to download version 4.8 (the last one that vmware support).

my god my parents will kill me when they see how much they will may for cable net this month... we here in Portugal have download limits stupid thing ...

PS: Remaind me never to buy oem laptops without knowing if it will support linux easelly...

Unforgiven1

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #8 on: 6 January 2004, 08:58 »
linux on Laptops
that site it a good resource for seeing what will run on your laptop, if someone else has already written a review for it that is.  Just look up your laptop and read what the person said.  I submitted a page for the HP ze5170 awhile back...so if you get a distro to work on your laptop and it isn't on that site, make sure you submit a page to them for it.
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
"No" is the answer!
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Uipe

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #9 on: 8 January 2004, 04:10 »
Unforgiven: Man thats the problem, I am using a OEM system so the only thing I can look for is similaritys... Normally when U buy one of this PC's they only but the label of the store but in this case when I look in the manual it doesn't have any information about the real manufacter only a model number  :(  I searched in the net and found other shops that used this "kit" (I don't know what else to call it) but no link to the original manufacter  :(

hnugz

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2004, 23:15 »
I am using knoppix on my emachine m5310.  It detected and installed everything except for the wireless card.  no extra setup on my end required.

Uipe

Anti linux Laptop
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2004, 04:17 »
knoppix doesn't even boot in mys system, after the boot splash it freezes my PC