Author Topic: Sound is an issue  (Read 475 times)

ForceSphere

• Kudos: 0
Sound is an issue
« on: 9 February 2003, 02:37 »
Ok since i got RedHat everthing has worked, even my modem strangly enough considering i hear alot about WinModems not working in Linux.  That is, everything but my SoundCard.  I installed RedHat on a older system with a ISA SoundBlaster in it, Linux didnt recognize it so i dug around in my closet and found 2 different PCI soundcards, neither of which worked either.  So i went to RedHat.com and found SoundBlaster 16 worked with Linux 100%.  So what do i do?  i ran to the nearest comp store and bought one.  I get home, plug that shiznatch in, still no sound.  I look at my hardware drivers and it is under there but when i testsound or run Mplayer it says something like "no sound device available" or something.   Please, if you have any ideas they are welcomed.

P.S. i did take out all the other sound cards so that is not an issue.

emh

Sound is an issue
« Reply #1 on: 9 February 2003, 03:20 »
Pull up a command line window and type "sndconfig".

ForceSphere

Sound is an issue
« Reply #2 on: 9 February 2003, 03:23 »
yea i did, it gives me errors then, i chose sound blaster 16 from the menue but it says like 5 lines off errors....

emh

Sound is an issue
« Reply #3 on: 9 February 2003, 03:33 »
What type of Soundblaster did you get?  ISA or PCI? A Soundblaster 16 PCI?  One of the Creative Ensoniq cards?  I have a SB 16 PCI and it worked out of the box for me.

Post your modules.conf file here (it's in the /etc directory), and we'll see if we can't find the issue.

You might also try running sndconfig again, but this time choose one of the Ensoniq menu entries.  I think the Soundblaster entries are for the older ISA soundblasters.

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
Sound is an issue
« Reply #4 on: 9 February 2003, 03:34 »
maybe rh's hw detection fucked up.

go to the command line and do this:

Code: [Select]

i might be wrong on the module name though. if it says 'no module named sb16 found' or something like that, try something like soundblaster, soundblaster16 etc.

if the modprobe works successfully (and it goes back to the prompt without any errors) then you should open up /etc/modules.conf and add this:

Code: [Select]

i may have NO IDEA what im talking about, as i havent set up kernel autoloading right, but im pretty sure redhat has. reboot.

if that doesnt fix it, take those lines back out and ask someone who has actually used rh

[edit: ignore this post, seems rh ppl already posted hehe]

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Solo ]

Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

smokey

Sound is an issue
« Reply #5 on: 9 February 2003, 07:53 »
This is weird - maybe you should try moving the card around?

Also - try this:
in a console
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp

if random junk comes out of your speakers it is working

for some reason I have a problem with RH8  - with a fresh install i have to do that to get sound working. go figure...
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

ForceSphere

Sound is an issue
« Reply #6 on: 9 February 2003, 08:37 »
OK im going to go try it now, and yea its PCI, good god ISA...where the fuck do you think i bought it? garage sale?  lol actually i went to WalMart to see the new Lindows comps, to my surprise they didnt have any only XP.  Srry for pissing u walmart haters off.

ForceSphere

Sound is an issue
« Reply #7 on: 9 February 2003, 21:49 »
Ok well i thank you all for your 2 cents, but none worked.  Here is the following errors:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.0:init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.0: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.0: failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.0:init_module: insmod sound-slot-0 failed

Okay, from the advice i gathered here i do know that my sound card isnt called SB16 or anything to RH but it calls it es1371 if that helps, also i notived that the "slot-0" may be refering to my first slot of my PCI's...i will go switch em' up now...i highly doubt it will work, and i thank you all for your help.