Author Topic: Drive Geometry  (Read 585 times)

ahri

• Kudos: 0
Drive Geometry
« on: 25 June 2002, 08:56 »
ELX Linux refused to install because of this error.

"An error occurred regarding the partition table for the block device hda. The error was:

Partition(s) do not end on cylinder boundary

This occurs because the drive geometry detected by the kernel used by the installer is different than the drive geometry used when the dirve was partitioned. This can be corrected by specifying the drive geometry on the kernel command line when booting the installer."

Does anyone know how i can fix this?
btw, i'm running mandrake 8.2 now.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Drive Geometry
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2002, 21:17 »
Are you saying that Mandrake had no problem with your partition table, and you are only having this error with ELX?  I can tell you that I installed ELX to check it out and I wouldn't waste my time with it personally.  However, this is a fairly common message.  I would suggest searching Google and see what you can come up with.  Do not make your search specific to ELX as you'll likely not come up with much.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Drive Geometry
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2002, 12:20 »
quote:
ELX Linux refused to install because of this error.

"An error occurred regarding the partition table for the block device hda. The error was:

Partition(s) do not end on cylinder boundary

Did you try to use the ELX disk part utility to create the parts where you tried to do the install?

I'm running several Linux distros myself (in addition to Win 95 and QNX - both on primaries). All the Linux OSs are on an extended part originally created with the 'Drake part utility. To install the others: Red Hat, Slackware, and ELX, I used the 'Drake utility to set up parts before doing the install. This is really not all that difficult. Just boot off the 'Drake install CD, select the "expert" install, and then just answer "yes" to all the questions till you get to the partition step. Use the 'Drake utility to create, edit, and/or format the new parts. Once you've completed the partitioning, hit CNTL, ALT, BACKSPACE to abort the rest of the install. Remove the 'Drake install CD, replace with the ELX install CD, then reboot with CNTL, ALT, DEL (You should be familiar with that one   :D  ). If you just use the 'Drake part utility for all your partitioning needs, then you shouldn't have that problem. (As for myself, I think it would be worth it to get the Mandrake install CDs just for the part utility, even if you never intend to install 'Drake - it's that good.)

Live Free or Die: Linux

If software can be free, why can't dolphins?
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

ahri

Drive Geometry
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2002, 18:38 »
"reboot with CNTL, ALT, DEL (You should be familiar with that one"   LOL, too familiar.

I searched on google. Found lots of stuff on drive geometry but nothing on how to get it or specifiy it at the command line.

Mandrake control center said this:
capcity: 4200 MB
Heads: 255
Sectors: 63
Cylinders: 523

If i want to install ELX as the only OS, how many partitions should i make and how big should the be? I got 94 MB ram.

"Did you try to use the ELX disk part utility to create the parts where you tried to do the install?" I don't think i got that far before the error.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: ahri ]

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: ahri ]

ahri

Drive Geometry
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2002, 00:12 »
Does anyone know if completely erasing my hd will solve the drive geometry problem?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Drive Geometry
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2002, 01:20 »
I think if you delete all the partitions on the drive it should solve your problems.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...