Author Topic: FreeBSD  (Read 835 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
FreeBSD
« Reply #15 on: 9 December 2002, 08:53 »
uhh, freeBSD looks like a challenge. i like challenges, and she wants to learn a unixOS.  and uh, Windows98 for a secure... anything??

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
FreeBSD
« Reply #16 on: 9 December 2002, 08:59 »
huh, challenge, FreeBSD is easy these days. try NetBSD or OpenBSD. and yes, i actally use NetBSD alot.  but if your hardware is supported, OpenBSD has a few more newer packages foor it then NetBSD.
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

Nobber

• Kudos: 55
FreeBSD
« Reply #17 on: 9 December 2002, 15:13 »
I dual-boot between Linux and FreeBSD, but I haven't used FreeBSD much. First impressions were that FreeBSD is trickier, because recompiling the kernel is really a must - whereas it isn't with modern Linux distros - but it's also much easier to get a kernel compilation failure in FreeBSD than it is in Linux. (In fact, I don't think I've *ever* had a kernel comp failure in Linux.)

Other than that, it's really just a matter of getting used to the BSD-style init mechanism, and the different device names. For example, under FreeBSD my modem is /dev/cuaa4, which the kernel sets up automatically. Eh? KDE's internet dialler doesn't even let me choose that as a modem device...
As sure as eggs is eggs.