Author Topic: Which Linux/Unix for Games?  (Read 517 times)

morbius

• Kudos: 0
Which Linux/Unix for Games?
« on: 14 March 2003, 12:55 »
I am looking at changing my OS from Win XP to a Unix/Linux system, but I wanted to know which OS would be the best primarily for playing games?  And is it possible to dual boot that OS with Win XP until I get the grasp of how it works and toss XP out.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2003, 13:28 »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Interscope

« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2003, 14:39 »
Any version of Linux as long as it is a bit modern. If it is your first try i'd say use some easy to use distro like Red Hat, SuSE or Mandrake and get WineX(http://www.transgaming.com)
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

morbius

« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2003, 12:09 »
Thanks Guys.  I'm in the process of getting Mandrake 9.

morbius

« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2003, 14:11 »
I'm in QLD.  I finally got Mandrake 9 and it's up and running.  a little bit daunting at first but I'm getting the hang of it.  I wanted to know if my downlad managers like kazaa, direct connect and the like will work with linux(probably a stupid question).

Interscope

« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2003, 18:13 »
direct connect should have a Linux client IIRC. And Kazaa Lite works a little buggy with me in Wine but it does work.
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2003, 18:42 »
For a list of Linux games, don't forget also to visit Happypenguin.   ;)  Have fun!