Author Topic: Can't install Linux  (Read 1181 times)

zubknarf

• Kudos: 0
Can't install Linux
« Reply #15 on: 20 June 2002, 04:37 »
ok i gave up on the iso image files and just ordered the 6 cd set. got it all installed ok then it goes to start red hat and prompts me to enter login name???i never entered one in set up so i don't know what it is..then it ask's for pass word.. the only time i entered a password was a root password..tried that and it failed any sugestions would be appreciated ..thanks zubknarf

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
Can't install Linux
« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2002, 05:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by zubknarf:
ok i gave up on the iso image files and just ordered the 6 cd set. got it all installed ok then it goes to start red hat and prompts me to enter login name???i never entered one in set up so i don't know what it is..then it ask's for pass word.. the only time i entered a password was a root password..tried that and it failed any sugestions would be appreciated ..thanks zubknarf

'login name' would mean your name not your password. So put root as your 'login name' unless you created a user when installing (which you should have). After you get in under root, you should create a user to login as, because it isnt very 'smart' to login as root all the time.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

zubknarf

Can't install Linux
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2002, 06:22 »
Thanks alot i got in..now i have to figure out how to make a login name..I'm really looking foward to playing around with linux..hope i don't get to frustrated with it. I'm not real computer smart. But i'll give it a try..by the way what's on the other 3 disc's ??software??? 1 say's documentation>>Thanks again zubknarf

phar1944

Can't install Linux
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2002, 06:58 »
The cd with the documentation is the one you should start with.  Read as much as you can.  Go to your favorite bookstore and find a book on Linux (I like "Learn Linux in 24 hours") and read that.  Much of your confusion will clear up very quickly and you will find Linux a pleasure to use.  However, it will take a bit of time and effort to get it down completely. The learning time is a good part of the fun.

Good luck        
Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.

zubknarf

Can't install Linux
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2002, 17:00 »
if i didn't set up a login name during setup..wich i don't think i did how do i know what it is?? i logged on as root but it says i should use my login name..i tried everything i could think of normally i would use zubknarf as a login name but that didn't work. is the login case sensitive?? thanks for all your help . zubknarf

mormop

Can't install Linux
« Reply #20 on: 21 June 2002, 01:55 »
I'm starting to like XP user, it's only when you come across such blinkered ignorance that you realise how excellent it is to be out of that MS crap.

Anyway, here's how my install went when I tried XP.

Machine by the way is A-Bit KT-7A, 1200 Athlon, 768MB SDRAM, Yam-SCSI CD-RW, 60 + 20GB Maxtors Ge-Force 2 MX400, SB128 etc.
Basically,  I'm saying it's not a massively out of date box.

Insert disk, boot, get to point where screen goes dark blue / black with progress bar and that's it! Yes XP did something no other version of Windows has managed for me i.e. crashing before it's even made it onto the hard disk.

I wasted another two evenings trying before impaling the disk on a No.2 Philips. The resulting feeling of euphoria justified the cost of XP all by itself so it didn't perish in vain.

I'm saving the licence for a day when I pick up a dose of dissentry of cholera for that extra satisfying wipe.

I'm back with Win98SE which sees the light of day once a month or two and Mandrake 8.2 which gets daily use. My personal office machine is the same config as XP, when I have come across it, proved itself to be a bit on the crap side.

Master of Reality

• VIP
Can't install Linux
« Reply #21 on: 21 June 2002, 02:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by zubknarf:
if i didn't set up a login name during setup..wich i don't think i did how do i know what it is?? i logged on as root but it says i should use my login name..i tried everything i could think of normally i would use zubknarf as a login name but that didn't work. is the login case sensitive?? thanks for all your help . zubknarf

when logged in as root type 'useradd', it is the program to add users. try 'man useradd' for the manual page for it.
bassically all you do is:
Code: [Select]
or the more secure way
Code: [Select]
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518

Master of Reality

• VIP
Can't install Linux
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2002, 02:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by mormop:
I'm starting to like XP user, it's only when you come across such blinkered ignorance that you realise how excellent it is to be out of that MS crap.

Anyway, here's how my install went when I tried XP.

Machine by the way is A-Bit KT-7A, 1200 Athlon, 768MB SDRAM, Yam-SCSI CD-RW, 60 + 20GB Maxtors Ge-Force 2 MX400, SB128 etc.
Basically,  I'm saying it's not a massively out of date box.

Insert disk, boot, get to point where screen goes dark blue / black with progress bar and that's it! Yes XP did something no other version of Windows has managed for me i.e. crashing before it's even made it onto the hard disk.

I wasted another two evenings trying before impaling the disk on a No.2 Philips. The resulting feeling of euphoria justified the cost of XP all by itself so it didn't perish in vain.

I'm saving the licence for a day when I pick up a dose of dissentry of cholera for that extra satisfying wipe.

I'm back with Win98SE which sees the light of day once a month or two and Mandrake 8.2 which gets daily use. My personal office machine is the same config as XP, when I have come across it, proved itself to be a bit on the crap side.

what does this have to do with this thread? I have had windows98 crash oodles of times. Even before it  began to use scandisk to check the HD.
Disorder | Rating
Linux User #283518