Author Topic: Good Linux OS to START with?  (Read 773 times)

sHrEdDeR6

• Kudos: 0
Good Linux OS to START with?
« on: 17 July 2002, 10:07 »
Hi to all anti-M$,

Soryy for being lame but I just want to have any idea from all of you guys who can guide me whats a best Linux OS I can start with. I was very upset with Red Hat 7.2 CD i bought because its buggy, the CD itself. I just reported the bug to bugzilla.org and the problem was the CD. I did also post forum to blacksun.box.sk, linux.box.sk and neworder.box.sk; tried evrything about the situation but to no avail. Maybe I just ask if there's any LiNUx OS that can only be downloaded from dial-up 56K, maybe around 3MB or 5MB? Thanks and LONG LIVE LINUXes!!!

choasmaster

« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2002, 10:10 »
um, welcome

as for the linux cd, did you get two redhat 7.2 cd's, and what did it tell you when you went to install
id rather be on fire then use windoze

x86, a hack on a hack of a hack
alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2002, 10:12 »
you definatley wont find any user friendly Linux that is under 100MB. Some of the very user friendly ones are Mandrake and Lycoris. But i find redhat just as easy as mandrake. Maybe try another CD?
It would take about 30 hours to download any of them on a 56K but it is worth it... I have even downloaded all three redhat CDs while on a 28.8 modem and 40 KM away from my ISP  
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

choasmaster

« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2002, 10:13 »
and for 56k, you can download 2 650meg and one 450 meg file in about a week and a half. i learned this from one of my friends/*then agian linux using maniacs that juggle burning torchs for fun worry me a bit  ;)  */ and yes, i think that the 1.44 meg linux, its called loaf, and it is not really a begginer linux/*more like a O SHIT I FUCKED UP THE SERVER NOW HOW AM I GONNA FIXIT kinda linux from what i have heard an seen*/

alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2002, 10:18 »
Trinix, and FWfloppy are very tiny floppy disk Linucii that are mainly fr tiny firewall/routing. FW even comes with a tiny proxy.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Master of Reality / Bob ]

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2002, 10:23 »
http://www.phatlinux.com/downloads.php
it's called "PhatLINUX." It's not, err, bad, but I only used it once. It's 335mb to download, and that's a bit less then all the other distros. And it's very user friendly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2002, 13:11 »
i have phatlinux and could not even get it to install (it wants to install on my fat32 partition - odd, and suspicious) so maybe it's not worth the download. I have not had any problems with mandrake 8.2 though, but then it's a biggie. I got mine from a cover CD of a magazine. Look out for those, as you will likely get a full distro for a few quid if you keep yer peepers open. I so far have got red hat 7.0, mandrake 8.2 and turbolinux 6.2 for a total of about US$20...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

choasmaster

« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2002, 13:15 »
umm, try peanut linux, it comes in at under like 225 meg to download i think, it should kick ass though

alpha, the compaqed way
ppc, the fruity way
mips, the graphical way
m68k, the NeXT way
sparc, the reliable way

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2002, 13:21 »
About two weeks ago Barns & Novels was selling a seven dollar magazine that had Mandrake CDs #1 and #2 and. The magazine had "linux" in the title  ;)