Author Topic: Dual Booting with VERY minimal installs  (Read 2188 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Dual Booting with VERY minimal installs
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2002, 12:39 »
Why put Windows on it!

And I used to have Red-Hat 7.0 running on a PI-150 with 12mb of ram.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2002, 13:10 »
:D  i'm going to put windows on it because of interest value. i'd like to run windows over freedos, because then i will be running windows as an open source operating system!  ;)  also, i have only ever used windows 3 in college in 1996/1997 and i am curious. plus i think it would be good to finally see what real DOS is like. anytime i need to do something in DOS (like creating the basiclinux bootdisks for instance) i run into so many things that say 'microsoft windows no longer supports this option, to do whatever you were trying to do, go to the start menu and...' or similar.

as for X on a P75, i am willing to try it, if windows 3 can go on there, then why not linux/xwindows? i won't be putting X on there straight away though, i'll get used to the system thoroughly before i put X on it. but then i won't have disk space for much in the way of a desktop environment so i think i will install only icewm and xfce, which i think will run a lot better than some KDE or GNOME rubbish!  :D

i can't wait for it to arrive! another week and a half i reckon before my cheque clears and it's in the post...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2002, 13:50 »
It will run fine, just stick to WindowMaker or twm...

(WindowMaker is teh 1337'st)

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2002, 15:53 »
well as i say, i plan on putting xfce on there, and maybe icewm as well. also, i suspect it will be a 600 pixel screen, which if i calculate right will mean that X need only deal with just over one third of the pixels it would have to generate if i was using a 1024 pixel screen.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2002, 11:50 »
Most likly 640x480@8bpp

That will be fine for twm, and Windows 3.1/11/whatever!

(Why not put NT 3.51 on there)

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2002, 13:06 »
reason is that i don't have NT3.51, and i just paid

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2002, 20:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: Linux Commando:
and that would go after 'mouse' i suppose? well, i've never used slackware before, and although much of the trail has obviously been blazed for me, i think i'll be asking some dumbass questions on the way, but i do reckon it's time to partially shuck my mandrake 9 training wheels!     :D    

now i read it back, it's obvious that they are commands, and that there are five files i need to download...

edit - MORE from calum's bumbling slackware dramas:
it says very little on this page about installing a c compiler in this new BasicLinux, and i am confused firstly about why the page doesn't seem to know what dependencies will be required. Also, i am confused about which C compiler actually gets installed! what would i execute to run it? anybody familiar with this.

It'sll be 2 weeks till my laptop arrives anyway, so no bother, and i am sure i'll hash it out if i have to by myself, but i just like to find out stuff before i try...

thanks!    :D  

edit - by the way, how much do you think the laptop should have cost me? i am interested to see  how good or bad a deal i have got.

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Calum: Linux Commando ]

If you install those 5 packages from the d1 package set, you will have a working C compiler. You may even be able to use the newer versions of these packages from a newer version of slackware. The C compiler installed is egcs, which has been superceeded by gcc (I think). I can't shed much light on this one though Calum.
 :rolleyes:  Looks to Void Main  :rolleyes:

If I Have some spare time this weekend I may just install basic linux and see what i can see.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2002, 20:28 »
actually, you don't need to install it! download an older DOS bootdisk image (i used DOS 5.0 from bootdisk.com) and dd it to a floppy, then in DOS, unzip baslinux.zip and run make_fd, using your 'new' DOS5.0 disk as disk one and a cleanly formatted disk as disk two.

This method gives you the feel of basiclinux, but now i think about it, installing the c compiler is not available unless you stick it onto the hard drive.

on second thoughts, while basiclinux touts itself as a two floppy distro, i am seeing that it would be a LOT more powerful/more versatile if it were allowed to spread its metaphorical elbows over a few extra MB on the hard drive...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2002, 20:32 »
Yeah, installing it on the hard drive is ideal, that's what I did. In fact, I may install basic linux on one of my partition and build it up into a nice, fast system (with X). That could be interesting if time allows me. Damn this cursed world, I think m0r was right about a longer day...
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2002, 20:43 »
i can't wait! i've never had an operating system before where i know where everything is and what it does! (well, certainly basiclinux offers this potentially) and i am looking forward to it when this laptop arrives (we're into the 'waiting for the cheque to clear' stage now, i reckon it might have cleared by maybe monday or tuesday).

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2002, 14:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum: Linux Commando:
reason is that i don't have NT3.51, and i just paid

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2002, 15:31 »
because i do not endorse illegal software. I no longer have any illegal software installed and i am not about to start again, thank you. I got it second hand, and microsoft isn't getting any money for it, however as i understand it, it's legal to buy an original copy of a pre-95 version of windows from anybody who owns it.

I actually already have it, as i got a download from another forum member earlier in the year, however as i said, i do not in any way endorse illegal software. if you want free software, don't use windows is what i have to say, and i stand by it. i can afford

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2002, 15:56 »
I just installed the browser mentioned earlyier... its cool as!

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2002, 16:09 »
yes, it is very good indeed.

any suggestions for a small linux wordprocessor (for X) with a low overhead that can do .rtf files? Also, ideally it would want to be able to open (but not necessarily save as) .doc files in case some dumbass emails one to me, but that's not essential. What's the overhead and size of AbiWord like, and is there a slimmer but similar thing?

thanks all...

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #29 on: 22 November 2002, 16:13 »
Even System Software 7.x?