Author Topic: Finally someone with some sense...  (Read 1110 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Finally someone with some sense...
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2003, 02:45 »
I don't know, but Microsoft is bad enough with its shitty OS; I certainly wouldn't want it to have a good OS in its hands, thus ruining a big incentive to switch to better alternatives. Unless, of course, everyone switch to the Mac during the transition...

slvadcjelli42

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2003, 02:52 »
He has some good points, but I'm not sure I agree with this part

quote:
We need more of the OS--especially network setup and access controls--hidden under the hood, where users never have to see them.

IMHO, Windows already has a ridiculous amount of the OS hidden away, apparently because they think even letting the users know of the existence of those parts would lead to their destruction (i.e., they're too stupid to alter those files, so we won't even let them see them)  :rolleyes:  I mean, consider the "you're not supposed to be here!" type messages that are set for directories and settings all over the place. I definitely wouldn't want more of that if I was planning to use future Windows versions!

Pissed_Macman

• VIP
    • http://www.macrevolution.tk
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2003, 03:44 »
This is what Microsoft should do with their cash: save a few third world countries instead of greedily hording it!

HibbeeBoy

« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2003, 03:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Gently:
He has some good points, but I'm not sure I agree with this part

IMHO, Windows already has a ridiculous amount of the OS hidden away, apparently because they think even letting the users know of the existence of those parts would lead to their destruction (i.e., they're too stupid to alter those files, so we won't even let them see them)   :rolleyes:   I mean, consider the "you're not supposed to be here!" type messages that are set for directories and settings all over the place. I definitely wouldn't want more of that if I was planning to use future Windows versions!

The PC is too complicated an appliance. Unfortunately, a large part of the population are just too dumb to to be allowed near them. So I somewhat disagree with you there. I am all for Thin Client technology so the fuckwit users are not messing with the PCs.
Democracy, it's like three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2003, 04:50 »
quote:
Microsoft said last week it plans to hire 4,000 to 5,000 new workers

That ain't going to solve anything, there are already way to many cooks spoiling the broth that is Winblow$ as it is. I'm sure that part of the M$ disease is their development process as a whole.

You'd knock me down with a feather if M$ built a new OS built on Linux, that would be tantamount to admiting they really are crap. Anyway if they did do this they still be sure to fuckit up. No amount of money can solve the ethics, philosophy or the monolithic nature of M$.

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

solarismka

« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2003, 05:06 »
quote:
That ain't going to solve anything, there are already way to many cooks spoiling the broth that is Winblow$ as it is. I'm sure that part of the M$ disease is their whole development process as a whole.

You'd knock me down with a feather if M$ built a new OS built on Linux, that would be tantamount to admiting they really are crap. No amount of money can solve the ethics, philosophy or the monolithic nature of M$.

I think I have to agree with you 100%

If you really think about it they have started to rebuild their OS from scratch.

This can be seen from Win3.1 to Longhorn.  I mean the Oses themselves are completely compatiple with each other (see M$ Office).  With each version of windows comes 'new' microsoft standards that just don't work with the old ones.  So rather than improving the OS new bugs are introduced on top of old ones.

One I think is the way the OS is developed.  At the end of the day they just don't have a clue what they are doing.  Or at least each of the developers groups have no idea what the other groups of the project are doing.

and because most of the reacent stuff I see were copied from better OSes like Mac OSX, Linux and BSD.

Then they modify those versions and with the added confusion vola you have an average, buggy, win OSes.

And lastly why bother telling Microsoft to reinvent the wheal when already they have prooven that they just can NOT do it.  So save the bother of the costly upgrade that won't go nowhere and just go with an alternative OS.

;)
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2003, 08:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by HibbeeBoy:

The PC is too complicated an appliance. Unfortunately, a large part of the population are just too dumb to to be allowed near them. So I somewhat disagree with you there. I am all for Thin Client technology so the fuckwit users are not messing with the PCs.

Yeah, and one server for many thin clinets means patching is much easier too.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

avello500

• http://www.suicidaltendencies.com/
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2003, 21:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Gently:
I mean, consider the "you're not supposed to be here!"

the last time i installed any m$ b$ i got a error message that said "you are not supposed to see this"
wtf is with that?
How can you say im crazy? You wouldnt know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch.  -- mike muir/suicidal tendencies

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2003, 21:23 »
quote:
the last time i installed any m$ b$ i got a error message that said "you are not supposed to see this"

:eek:  You're kidding! What program?

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2003, 21:57 »
In direct response to the article

I think the best thing for MS to do rather than start over, Kernel and all, is to just create a Window manager like KDE, but proprietary, and just use anyone else's kernel and borrow X.  and make an emulator that only worked with that Window manager.

wouldn't be that hard, and most of the problems are solved, because it wouldn't be windows anymore.

they used to make unix anyway.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2003, 16:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by suselinux:
In direct response to the article

I think the best thing for MS to do rather than start over, Kernel and all, is to just create a Window manager like KDE, but proprietary, and just use anyone else's kernel and borrow X.  and make an emulator that only worked with that Window manager.

wouldn't be that hard, and most of the problems are solved, because it wouldn't be windows anymore.

they used to make unix anyway.

LOL    :D  

Xenix was their UNIX baby until Billy Bob Gates realised the'd make less money. Also there'd be no chance of inserting the consumer into the vicious cycle that we all know and love now as Windblow$.

Xenix

So what you are really saying is they've lost and should stop what there doing    ;)  

Very interestingly notice how far back the M$ <> $CO collusion goes back.

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

mc0282

« Reply #12 on: 1 August 2003, 01:12 »
the david problaby trying to get hired, i bet you all the shit he said,he would take it back if microsoft offer him a job or fat pay check, fucking sell out.
huh, what?